Positioner and switch support software

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

satcom1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Near Chicago
Does anyone have recommendations for PCI DVB-S software with good switch support and h-h motor Diseqc 1.2.

I need 6 X 1 Switch support 22Khz / diseqc.

In my experience, MyTheatre and Dvbviewer have very good motor/switch support but a lot of it has to do with the particular drivers you are using with your card, some drivers are lacking. BDA drivers don't have diseqc support, but through work arounds they can be made to work, MyTheatre is a good example of this.
Dvbdream will work well too but takes a little more frigging around, you need to use raw diseqc commands to get the dish to move.
Your signature shows you are using Progdvb, do you find it lacking in the switch-motor area?

It has excellent h-h motor support does Diseqc 1.2 and USALS to perfection.

Has excellent switch support and can even set up two satellite lists (ie: C-Band / Ku Band).

But it does not do both at once. Either Or type of thing.

Ok, I'll try to piece this together, from your signature you have two seperate systems? One on a Sg-2100, one on a Stab, Are you trying to run one system with Usals and the other with Diseqs1.2? Are you using the 22khz switch to seperate the two systems?

Switch support

Ok, I'll try to piece this together, from your signature you have two seperate systems? One on a Sg-2100, one on a Stab, Are you trying to run one system with Usals and the other with Diseqs1.2? Are you using the 22khz switch to seperate the two systems?

No, my software does not support 22Khz switch 2 X 1. So the motor works fine but In the case of the BSC621 I can't switch between C and KU.

Second Issue, I have setup with Motor and standard lnbf with seperate v and h outputs. My software can't support 22Khz switch to select between V/H, but drives the motor diseqc 1.2 or USALS.

My software is set up for (either or) motor or switch but not both.

Obviously, I'm lost here.

When you say "my software" are you referring to progdvb? if so it does support a 22khz switch. I think you can do what you are describing if you mean Progdvb as the software.

No, my software does not support 22Khz switch 2 X 1. So the motor works fine but In the case of the BSC621 I can't switch between C and KU.

Since the BSC621-2 is a universal LNB, shouldn't the 22kHz tone already be turned on when you are in the Ku-Hi band? If your software lets you set custom LO frequencies then you might even be able to get C and Ku in the same satellite entry: LO1=5150, LO2=10600. I use a similar trick to select between the H and V ports of my Primestar LNB using a 22kHz switch, although that requires two satellite entries: one set to standard LNB and one set to Universal with custom LOs.

I have the Pro version too. If you select custom in your diseqc setup, then highlight your card, then add positioner, then add 22khz switch, I don't have the bsc621 but I think it switches c to ku with a 22khz tone? Adding the 22khz switch in the configuration should allow you to switch the lnbf's. I think the first port is 22khz on, second is 22Khz off.

Highlight Card?

I have the Pro version too. If you select custom in your diseqc setup, then highlight your card, then add positioner, then add 22khz switch, I don't have the bsc621 but I think it switches c to ku with a 22khz tone? Adding the 22khz switch in the configuration should allow you to switch the lnbf's. I think the first port is 22khz on, second is 22Khz off.

When you say highlight card do you mean the 878 BDA driver?

The only way I can get this switch selection window to open is if I select a satellite like this and then add switch. When I select 22Khz and click OK nothing happens and there are no properties for the switch.

Do you know what is meant by simple switch in the list?

Yes the bsc621 has a 2 port switch built in that selects c or ku.

I have a switch labeled SW21 which is also for FTA and should work with 22Khz PCM signalling. This I want to use with my P* Standard LNBF to switch between V and H. There should be some screen that allows me to associate port one = V and port two = H. How does a STB menu show switch select options?

Have you had success making a switch work with ProgDVB PRO?

"I think the first port is 22khz on, second is 22Khz off." This is where I really get confused, Shouldn't there be a port select screen that shows some status? Port one On = 22Khz Port two Off = 0

Attachments

• switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 222
When you say highlight card do you mean the 878 BDA driver?

Yes, that is your Twinhan card

The only way I can get this switch selection window to open is if I select a satellite like this and then add switch. When I select 22Khz and click OK nothing happens and there are no properties for the switch.

When I do things in that window and it doesn't show up, I delete the diseqTree.ini file in the Main directory of Progdvb and start over. When you re-boot Prog it will re-create the file. That 22khz switch selection should show up.

Do you know what is meant by simple switch in the list?

Maybe a 2 port diseqc switch, I'm not sure.

I have a switch labeled SW21 which is also for FTA and should work with 22Khz PCM signalling. This I want to use with my P* Standard LNBF to switch between V and H. There should be some screen that allows me to associate port one = V and port two = H. How does a STB menu show switch select options?

The receivers I've used show the 22khz as "on" or "off".

Have you had success making a switch work with ProgDVB PRO?

Yes, and success with non pro versions as well. I used a 22khz to seperate my c and ku band systems with a 4 port diseqc downstream from the 22khz, its just a matter of trial and error. I've never found a good tutorial for setting switches up, I suppose its because there are so may possibilites and combinations.
"I think the first port is 22khz on, second is 22Khz off." This is where I really get confused, Shouldn't there be a port select screen that shows some status? Port one On = 22Khz Port two Off = 0

Some software does show a screen where you can select on or off, Dvbdream and Tsreader for a couple, but not in Progdvb that I have found. Trial and error again:)

Yes, and success with non pro versions as well. I used a 22khz to seperate my c and ku band systems with a 4 port diseqc downstream from the 22khz, its just a matter of trial and error. I've never found a good tutorial for setting switches up, I suppose its because there are so may possibilites and combinations.

This is just the reason I put together the two manuals he has in hs download section.

Would you like to be a published author? I'd sure like to see a switch selection manual for ProgDVB.

I had a look at your manuals, very professional, nice job. I wish I could put stuff like that together. I've found that it is really helpful to me to put on paper what I want to do before I start setting up the software. Starting with the dvb card and working toward the lnbf(s), especially if its a complicated system or systems with several switches, motor, etc.

I had a look at your manuals, very professional, nice job. I wish I could put stuff like that together. I've found that it is really helpful to me to put on paper what I want to do before I start setting up the software. Starting with the dvb card and working toward the lnbf(s), especially if its a complicated system or systems with several switches, motor, etc.

Thanks for the good word about the manuals.

Unfortunatelly Prog defaulted the skin to something that was faster to install and know the manuals are out of date.

Most often I will use a pad of paper first for development of an idea. I still like to have a hard copy before going to the PC.

I'm reluctant to change the .ini file lest I screw up all my settings. I did set everything to Switch in ProgDVB and set up a satellite for C-Band and one for KU-Band and set the switch for 22Khz. NoJoy.

Then I used simple switch and then diseqc 1.0 NoJoy.

So my set up is just attempting to get the BSC-621-2 to switch between C/KU. ProgDVB also needs to support the Universal LNBF inside which has a switch for LOF1 and LOF2.

Prog tells me he does not support switch and positioner settings together. But he has never tested with a Universal LNBF, he only has a standard LNBF. So likely that is not supported.

If I use a Standard LNBF (P*) then his Positioner Autotune works and the signal strength bars show. But I have never seen them work with Invacom SNH-031.

If you can educate me in switches then I will put a manual together for his site.

The easiest way to test switch operation is to check for voltage on the outputs with a multimeter. You can even do this on the BSC-621-2 since it uses a jumper between the two LNBs. The jumper will measure a fraction of a volt when diseqc port 1 is set (indicating C-band is active), and 13/18v when diseqc port 2 is set (indicating Ku band is active). You can connect any old 22kHz switch to the jumper to test for Ku low (0kHz) and high (22kHz) band selection.

If you want to use a 22kHz switch on the BSC-621-2 outputs (i.e.: 0kHz for C, 22kHz for Ku), it will need to be an Ecoda. You can find them cheap on eBay. Here's how it should be set up:

Code:
Receiver ----> Ecoda ---(0kHz)---> BSC-621-2 C-band output
                 |------(22kHz)--> BSC-621-2 Ku-band output
Other brands of 22kHz switches won't pass the 22kHz through to their outputs, so the universal Ku LNB will only see 0kHz regardless of what the receiver is putting out. In that case it will always be stuck on the low Ku band.

If you can manage to get ProgDVB switch and positioner support working at the same time, you can even use the Ecoda as follows:

Code:
Receiver ----> Ecoda ---(0kHz)---> diseqc switch ---> LNB
                 |                        |---------> LNB
                 |
                 |------(22kHz)--> BSC-621-2 with jumper
Let me know if anything wasn't clear.

Last edited:
MachMan-

I'll order an Ecoda from Ebay, that will give me more options.
I booted up my Twinhan software and got switching for the BSC-621-2 working. It likes Diseqc 1.0 Set up does not work with positioner selected. Atleast I can switch between C and KU.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)