Possible 811 P3.34 problem, rainbow line

mnb

Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
Developed a problem on my television the day that the 3.34 downloaded. May be coincidence, but I have a suspicion that it relates to the new software.
The problem is a rainbow-like line starting in the middle of the screen at the bottom and curving toward the right side of the screen about 4 inches from the bottom right. From a distance it looks like a crack in the screen, but close up you can easily see the red, green, and blue components, more separated at they get to the right side. This is only present on the component feed from the dish 811 receiver. It is NOT present on the S-video feed from the dish receiver or on the component feed from the DVD player. New cables, no change. Television is Hitachi RPTV. See photo attached.
I contacted dish advanced tech support. Stated that it is "probably" the receiver but could not confirm any direct relation to the software change.
Three questions:
1. Has anyone else experienced this?
2. Any solutions?
3. I own the receiver and hope to upgrade to the 622 in the coming months, do I spend the $22 off-warranty cost now to get a different 811 or simply wait and upgrade (assuming I can stand to watch with this problem)?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_1177.JPG
    IMG_1177.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 272
i never saw that before. and since thats not happening with other components. it's has to bad receiver.
for the solutitons try on some other HDTV.

mnb said:
Developed a problem on my television the day that the 3.34 downloaded. May be coincidence, but I have a suspicion that it relates to the new software.
The problem is a rainbow-like line starting in the middle of the screen at the bottom and curving toward the right side of the screen about 4 inches from the bottom right. From a distance it looks like a crack in the screen, but close up you can easily see the red, green, and blue components, more separated at they get to the right side. This is only present on the component feed from the dish 811 receiver. It is NOT present on the S-video feed from the dish receiver or on the component feed from the DVD player. New cables, no change. Television is Hitachi RPTV. See photo attached.
I contacted dish advanced tech support. Stated that it is "probably" the receiver but could not confirm any direct relation to the software change.
Three questions:
1. Has anyone else experienced this?
2. Any solutions?
3. I own the receiver and hope to upgrade to the 622 in the coming months, do I spend the $22 off-warranty cost now to get a different 811 or simply wait and upgrade (assuming I can stand to watch with this problem)?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Try doing a hard reset. Unplug the unit for a few minutes, then plug it back in. Reoprt back with your results.:confused:

Did the hard reset before posting. Tried it again, this time unplugged for five minutes. Unfortunately...no change.

Matt,

Am not familiar with that TV, but I would assume it has multiple component inputs. Did you hook the DVD player up to that same component input that the 811 was using? and not just another set of inputs. I was thinking it could be a bad jet of jacks on that particular component input. If the DVD player was fine, then it has to be the receiver.

Mark

Mark,
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that, too. Both sets of component connections on the TV work fine with the DVD input, both show the problem with the 811 input. I also switched out the cables. So, I agree. It has to be the receiver. Thought about trying a "factory reset." If a software issue, would this return the 811 to original software or simply to all the default settings?
Matt

They are on the second phase now so I guess they are moving forward with this new upgrade despite the complaints that we are seeing in different forums.

Washed out picture using the component output seems to be the major complaint.

FWIW problem not present on channels broadcast in 720p. Also not present when I set TV to convert all output to 720p. Still rainbow line with 1080i on all other output from 811 receiver. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Problem now resolved

Accepted the 3.35 software as had little to lose. Rainbow problem now resolved so must have been a glitch in the 3.34 version (at least for my setup). Unfortunately, still have the washed out component video. Thanks again to those who offered assistance.

Matt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts