Possible delay in 811 dark picture fix.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tonik

Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Caught this on another board (no, not that one). Just the general Cable/Sat forum on dslreports. So, since I suffer from the dark vid problem I thought I would post it here and see if anyone had heard anything like this. BTW, long time lurker, gotten tons of help here, thanks everyone.

"I also asked him about the dark-picture issue and whether upgrading from component to DVI cabling would help. Also said I was surprised to see the problem with component connections because I had heard it was only an issue when using S-video. Tech said the issue is with the receiver itself, not dependent on the type of connection, so he doubted that a connection type change would cause any improvement. Also that this is scheduled to be fixed in the 266 software update (two updates away from what's current).

Unfortunately, no target dates available right now for either the 265 or 266 updates."

I don't have DVI but can verify that the dark picture issue is on all connections, S-Video, composite and component as compared to my 311 S-Video connection.

Soccernut said:
I don't have DVI but can verify that the dark picture issue is on all connections, S-Video, composite and component as compared to my 311 S-Video connection.

I have it on all three also, which is why I refuse to purchase a DVI cable. Seems like sending good money after bad.

I had to disconnect my 811 and go back to my old reciever. Everyone is happy here now, no more complaining about the PQ of the 811. What a relief, and comparing the video between the two is a no brainer. As soon as I hear about the fix I will connect it back up. The only thing important I lost is my HD channels and the Dolby digital. The TV is back to normal brightness and contrast, no more adjustments between the 811, DVD, and tapes, all is the same now. The PQ is perfect now, lets hope they get the 811 fixed right or I am selling mine. Dish tech support says it should be fixed by the end of the month.

Same with mine. I love the PQ on DVI. In most cases just as good as a DVD.

On Composite and S-Video, the picture is dark and oversaturated with color. It makes my Tivo basically useless, since anything it records is IMHO unwatchable.

I keep searching for a substitute HD tuner until the 811 is (if? I'm beginning to wonder.) fixed.

hey guys i too am suffering from the same problem. svideo and composite are really dark. you can brighten them up but pq stinks. the component connenctions work great though. i have the hd in a box with 40 inch widescreen. i took back my dvd recorder since it only had svideo and composite inputs. i did purchase a new one on ebay for about 20$ more with component inputs and outputs. i'm now recording all channels including hd.

Skip Laughlin said:
Same with mine. I love the PQ on DVI. In most cases just as good as a DVD.

If your HD is only "as good as a DVD", you either need a new TV or new eyes. :)

I don't seem to have this problem at all, at least not that I can tell. I have 3 outputs coming from my 811 - component and DVI to my BenQ 8700 projector and composite to a 20" TV. All look great to me, even on my 106" screen. The component and DVI settings are not identical, but since I can set them separately on the BenQ, once set, the pictures are of the same brightness and contrast, although the DVI connection is clearly more detailed. The composite signal is plenty bright and looks great on my 20", but it is only a 20" TV, so almost everything would look good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts