Possible DVR upgrade

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
i currently have a 622 anda 508. While I have had very few problems with my 508 I was wondering if upgrading it to a 522 or 625 for the multiple tuners is a viable option.

i lease the 622. The 508 has no DVR fees. What would i gain with the DVRs above (and is the 522 still available) and what new costs would I incur. The current receiver is hooked up to the phone line with a modem quality jack---as is my 622.

Any thought s and suggestions are appreciated.

IMO, the functionality of the 522/625 far and away puts the 501/508 to shame. The guide is better and faster. Very similar to what you already have with the 622.

If it was me, I'd probably upgrade the existing 508. Yes, you'll incur a DVR fee, but should balance out with the fact you won't have an additional tuner fee.

Which one would you upgrade to and should I assume a single additiaonl $5.98 fee with each?

I don't seem to be able to download the manual. But what are the differences between the two and does either have an OTA tuner?

Basically the same. No OTA tuners the 625 has a bigger hard drive that is used for dish on demand. otherwise the 522 and 625 have the same features and storage capacities.

Thanks. I guess it boils down to what types of upgrade offers are out there for an existing sub---or whether I should wait for an MPEG 4 DVR

If it was me, I'd probably upgrade the existing 508. Yes, you'll incur a DVR fee, but should balance out with the fact you won't have an additional tuner fee.

Since he already has a 622 and pays the DVR fee would he really have another DVR fee for the second DVR? I figured it was one DVR fee that was applied even if you had 2 or more DVR's.

No one problem with DISH is that it is er DVR not per account.

WOW. I guess I am glad I didn't get the DVR for the kids. I like how D* handles it much better (one fee per account not DVR).

Not with Dish. We pay a DVR fee for every DVR, except the 501, 508 & 721, which are grandfathered. Or it can be avoided or limited with certain promos, such as DVR Advantage. Or by subscribing to the AEP.

On edit: Some folks just type faster than I.

But the DVR Advantage package includes the first DVR fee so if you have two DVRs you're only paying one fee. :)

I've only had the 622 and 625 since I've only had service for a couple weeks but the 625 is just like the 622. Yes, that's a good thing. :)

Thanks for all the assistance. For whatever reason the product manuals were temporarily unavailable from DISH or EKB. At this point I think I will wait. Either one would give me a second tuner but without OTA and with the possibility of a switch to MPEG 4 I am not sure that it is worthwhile at this time.

Get another 622 and just use the SD outputs. That way you can still see all of the HD channels that you are already paying for.

That may be the answer. From what I have heard gettinga second 622 is problematic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)