Possible End of OTA in Canada

CBC spent umpteen millions of our dollars moving, switching, updating their broadcast facilities for the digital transition in the major centers, and now they want to dump the whole broadcast system? Someone running things at CBC really needs to be fired.

Bonfire?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

CBC's been going downhill ever since Harper's been in office.
Hockey Night in Canada losing its iconic theme (also known as Canada's 2nd national anthem) for a mere 50k was
the beginning of the end.

Why OTA in Canada should stay: This post from digitalhome.ca is a long read but makes a very good case as to why OTA should stay mandatory and how the system is not being used efficiently over there.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2239513#poststop

This in the most interesting part: My research also demonstrates how national numbers for OTA reception are misleading: regional and local elements must be considered. 2006 data showed numbers can be quite high in Quebec (14.3%) and low in areas like Newfoundland (3.2%) (Canadian Media Research Inc., Sept 2006). Cities such as Windsor have OTA viewership over 20%. Clearly the majority of Canadians prefer the services offered by BDUs, but there is still a sufficient viewership of OTA to merit continuing the service.

I know Windsor only has 210,000 people and that they're using OTA mostly to get the Detroit stations but still, 20% OTA usage in any city these days is a very high number.

The Canadian public has to be educated about OTA. Many don't know that it exits. When I put up my CM 4221 my neighbors were curious. I explained OTA and they were surprised that free TV was available!

CRTC says OTA signals are still required: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2015/2015-24.htm

The Commission considers that over-the-air transmission of television signals continues to play an important role in the Canadian broadcasting system, at this time, particularly with respect to the local programming offered by conventional television stations. In addition, over-the-air transmission provides a widely available and affordable choice for Canadians wishing to access local and other television programming.

The Commission will therefore continue to require conventional television licensees to maintain an over-the-air presence in order to retain certain regulatory privileges, such as the privilege for their signal to be distributed on the basic service and the privilege to request simultaneous substitution. These privileges are a recognition that local programming is expensive to produce and that the amount of money spent on local programming by conventional television broadcasters is significant.

Reactions: Titanium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts