Possible New Dish Subscriber Needs Advice

WillyV

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Mid Atlantic
I'm thinking about getting a Dish subscription but have never done sat tv. Does anyone know anything about the "Dish Smart Pack" for $19.99 a month? This apparently is there basic plan but the fine print is a little confusing.

1. Is this is a typical 2 year plan. Can I continue the plan after 2 years for the same monthly fee or will I need to select another more expensive package and then face dropping out and any fees etc. I hate the ever rising monthly fees with other cable providers and am even considering FTA sat tv but saw the Dish Smart Pack advertisement and thought it sounded reasonable but worry about hidden costs etc.

2. Does Dish provide all the equipment? Is this part of a set-up fee?

3. Can I stipulate a pole mounted dish set up in my yard.

4. Generally speaking, how does Dish stack up against its competitors? I'd appreciate all comments. Thanks.

I'm thinking about getting a Dish subscription but have never done sat tv. Does anyone know anything about the "Dish Smart Pack" for $19.99 a month? This apparently is there basic plan but the fine print is a little confusing.

1. Is this is a typical 2 year plan. Can I continue the plan after 2 years for the same monthly fee or will I need to select another more expensive package and then face dropping out and any fees etc. I hate the ever rising monthly fees with other cable providers and am even considering FTA sat tv but saw the Dish Smart Pack advertisement and thought it sounded reasonable but worry about hidden costs etc.
Yes, this is a 24 month commitment if you want to take advantage of the promo prices. You would receive $10 off your bill for the first 12 months, after that the Smart Pack goes to it's regular price of $29.99.

2. Does Dish provide all the equipment? Is this part of a set-up fee?
Dish provides the equipment for a basic install. It can depend on how many TVs you have and what features you want, like a DVR. Equipment, activation and install are all free if you qualify. You must provide your name, address, phone number, social security number, birth date and a credit'debit card number in order to qualify.

3. Can I stipulate a pole mounted dish set up in my yard.
Yes

4. Generally speaking, how does Dish stack up against its competitors? I'd appreciate all comments. Thanks.
Dish and DirecTV are very similar but if you're looking for something basic I believe Dish has the least expensive packages. Cable doesn't compare in my opinion.

My answers are above in bold. Your pricing may be different depending on what you will need for equipment and if you subscribe to any add on stuff. Here are some additional fees you may occur:
Secondary single receiver - $7
Secondary single DVR receiver - $10
Secondary dual tuner DVR receiver - $17
DVR fee - $7
Protection Plan - $7, free for first 4 months.

As you can see I would need to know how many TVs you have in order to determine what equipment you would need, then I would have a better idea of what your monthly bill would be.

Welcome pack is the lowest priced package offered by DISH at $19.99/mo.

Check out threads about DISH price increase February 2014 approximately $5/mo. Smart Pack is going up $3.

The Smart Pack is available for $19.99 for the first year of your contract but after that it goes up $10. Starting January 17th the Smart Pack will go up $3 as well. If you sign up before that date you will get the current price for the first 12 months and after that it will go to it's regular price at that time.

Prices generally go up each year, your rates are not locked for the period of your contract. You can generally upgrade or downgrade packages at any time, but there may be a $5 fee to downgrade.

One more thing to mention, just in case: Both the Smart Pack and the Welcome Pack are SD-only packages, you would not get any HD channels except your locals (if available on Dish in HD), and any channels that happen to be on free-preview (which can last from days to weeks per preview).

Potential New Dish Subscriber

My thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry. I'll mull this over for a while. Thanks again to everyone. This is a great forum.

Prices generally go up each year, your rates are not locked for the period of your contract. You can generally upgrade or downgrade packages at any time, but there may be a $5 fee to downgrade.

For the record, there is a $5 programming change fee when a customer changes their package less than 30 days after it was changed to whatever it is now, regardless of upgrade or downgrade. After 30 days, a customer can move up or down with no penalty whatsoever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)