Possible Price drops in FTA receivers??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Get ready for possible price drops on FTA receivers again. :D
Looks like Bell Vu Express is fixing their data stream security and Dish Network should be following their lead very soon. According to a website that I came across, Bell Vu channels are quickly disappearing. Hopefully this time these guys will get it right.

Anyway, keep your eyes posted for falling prices on FTA boxes.

Aw shucks. I thought I was bringing some fresh news. Oh well.
I usually don't pay attention to any posts that begin with "New to This".

Thanks.

Hope you're enjoying your C-band BUD as much as I am :)

Guys...please don't take this the wrong way but the only time I have ever heard of FTA was "to watch ExpressVU for free". I pay for TV thru StarChoice but my interest was peaked when I heard about FTA cuz I could not figure how it worked without a card. Nevertheless, I am interested in the hobby factor. I was a hobby radio guy years ago in the military.

What sort of programming you getting with this equipment? Is it the same sort of thing I once picked up on antenna as a kid?

thanks

Yay! Looks like I'll be watching ebay for a nicely priced FTA box. I've been needing a new one, but kind of tight on dough. This is great news.

I am taking a wait and see approach.

I hope that the hacking is ended, but I fear this may just be a road bump for the hackers. There is too much money in hacking for the hardware sellers for them to roll over and play dead.

Hope they can sell as low as $10 a piece, cos I am broke right now after the doctors and hospital bills.

RVD420 said:
I am taking a wait and see approach.

I hope that the hacking is ended, but I fear this may just be a road bump for the hackers. There is too much money in hacking for the hardware sellers for them to roll over and play dead.

I'm with you. We have heard it before and last time the boxes went UP instead of down. Maybe Dish Network will finally get their act together. :)

If they can keep the encryption secure for long enough it could lead to a lot of previous hackers dumping the FTA receivers for cheap.

Hello

I know lots of people who bought pansat 3500 boxes to get expressvu. I'm keeping an eye on them. If the boxes continue to be unusable I will offer them 25 $ each...

I bought a fortec ultra at this price 6 months ago. ..

Labgate

"Free satellite channels "

In my opinion EVERY satellite channel, WHICH SHOWS COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS should be totally FREE !

15 minutes in every hour is filled with already PAID ads, so viewers needs to give up an extra 15 minutes of their lives, just to watch a 45 minutes program !

The advertisers have already PAID to have their ads broadcasted; so why satellite companies are double charging ??....they are greedy, and double dipping !

This is exactly a same situation as getting TV or Radio channels through an antenna ..........there are also FREE newspapers PAID by their advertisers !

Any "pure" channels without ADS......of course, you need to pay for it!

too bad it doesn't work that way...somebody has to pay for the uplink of the channel to a satellite and maintaining it.

I agree with jenom in principle on this one. Just got thru archiving some Hallmark movies for the wife and saying to myself "why the #$#% am I paying for this crap?"

Hallmark Channel is approx. 30% ads. Every segment of the movies were 9-11 minutes, with 6 minute breaks between. And I pay THEM for the privilege of watching. ugh.

Cant wait to see the price of STBs drop, that will help in enlisting more of my friends into this hobby.

[Jenon, off thread rant on]
One of the reasons that we are charged for our subs is to prove to the content providers that we are part of the viewing "audience". Without that proof the program providers cannot prove to advertisers that they have a "base" of viewers that are going to see thier ads. The ads are where the money is in any type of broadcast tv. If we can show the "execs" that we are seeing these ads, and show a path to a revenue stream, then we can see european style "channel bouquets" here in in north america.

We, as "satellite guys", should put our collective minds to figure out a way to prove to advertisers that we are viewing thier ads when they show them on FTA channels. If we can do that, we will see decent programming in North America, totally FTA
[/Jenon off thread rant off]

Last edited:
jenom said:
In my opinion EVERY satellite channel, WHICH SHOWS COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS should be totally FREE !

15 minutes in every hour is filled with already PAID ads, so viewers needs to give up an extra 15 minutes of their lives, just to watch a 45 minutes program !

The advertisers have already PAID to have their ads broadcasted; so why satellite companies are double charging ??....they are greedy, and double dipping !

This is exactly a same situation as getting TV or Radio channels through an antenna ..........there are also FREE newspapers PAID by their advertisers !

Any "pure" channels without ADS......of course, you need to pay for it!

While I agree in theory with ya and I wish it would work out this way (as it did in the beginning) I do have to say that there is a power button. My wife and I lived for several years with 2-3 channels and only now with FTA do we have more. Just because you dont agree with the sales pitch dosent mean ya get it for free.

Bottom line is ya dont need tv to live (although some may feel that they do) :D
and ya can turn it off at any time. If the channels fall off of FTA then we will go back to not watching television as much (and probably will be a bit healthier in the long run). To me its worth what I paid for it (the cost of the equipment).

Of course this is just my .02

Chris

drhydro said:
Cant wait to see the price of STBs drop, that will help in enlisting more of my friends into this hobby.

One of the reasons that we are charged for our subs is to prove to the content providers that we are part of the viewing "audience". Without that proof the program providers cannot prove to advertisers that they have a "base" of viewers that are going to see thier ads. The ads are where the money is in any type of broadcast tv. If we can show the "execs" that we are seeing these ads, and show a path to a revenue stream, then we can see european style "channel bouquets" here in in north america.

We, as "satellite guys", should put our collective minds to figure out a way to prove to advertisers that we are viewing thier ads when they show them on FTA channels. If we can do that, we will see decent programming in North America, totally FTA

While I agree that some of the incentive is in the # of viewers (in order to sell adspace) just be sure to not overlook the millions of dollars in fee's that the satellite companies receive. They are not going back to a free system unless they are forced (and in this day and age I dont see it happening).

One of the things I was noticing the other day is we were watching some spanish channels (on g10). These shows were great, cheap to produce (except for the annoincers suit :eek: ) and funny. They were also shows that you would never see in the US for a variety of reasons. Until the exec's figure out that they dont have to spend a bajillion dollars to produce some "reality" show (and its 50 spinoffs) then we will always have to put up with cruddy programming. There just isnt much in the way of new "unique" programming today.

Sorry about the rant there, I am getting irritated with tv today (esp after seeing older shows on RTN and how corny they were..........but they are still watchable today. Imagine "temptation island" on RTN 20 years from now :eek:

c-ya
Chris

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)