Possible Price drops in FTA receivers??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
partyharty said:
While I agree in theory with ya and I wish it would work out this way (as it did in the beginning) I do have to say that there is a power button. My wife and I lived for several years with 2-3 channels and only now with FTA do we have more. Just because you dont agree with the sales pitch dosent mean ya get it for free.

Bottom line is ya dont need tv to live (although some may feel that they do) :D
and ya can turn it off at any time. If the channels fall off of FTA then we will go back to not watching television as much (and probably will be a bit healthier in the long run). To me its worth what I paid for it (the cost of the equipment).

Of course this is just my .02

Chris

I agree with you 100%. I keep an analog cable subscription for my wife, but I could "cut the cable" and watch just FTA with no problem. All you need is FTA and a good antenna IMO.

drhydro said:
Cant wait to see the price of STBs drop, that will help in enlisting more of my friends into this hobby.

[Jenon, off thread rant on]
One of the reasons that we are charged for our subs is to prove to the content providers that we are part of the viewing "audience". Without that proof the program providers cannot prove to advertisers that they have a "base" of viewers that are going to see thier ads. The ads are where the money is in any type of broadcast tv. If we can show the "execs" that we are seeing these ads, and show a path to a revenue stream, then we can see european style "channel bouquets" here in in north america.

We, as "satellite guys", should put our collective minds to figure out a way to prove to advertisers that we are viewing thier ads when they show them on FTA channels. If we can do that, we will see decent programming in North America, totally FTA
[/Jenon off thread rant off]

If it was simply about proof of what we view then how can they do that when the signal is only being broadcasted one way unless the phonelines are hooked up? Also if it was simply just about the proof of what we have then they could charge a dollar for each package to prove it.

I would think that a lot of channels would start popping up with full financial support from advertising on FTA. Maybe if enough people get FTA then more channels would start popping up.

Last edited by a moderator:
"One of the reasons that we are charged for our subs is to prove to the content providers that we are part of the viewing "audience".
Without that proof the program providers cannot prove to advertisers that they have a "base" of viewers that are going to see their ads.
The ads are where the money is in any type of broadcast TV.
If we can show the "execs" that we are seeing these ads, and show a path to a revenue stream, then we can see european style "channel bouquets" here in in north america."

Sorry, but I don't buy your reasoning !
Advertisers has many other ways to KNOW, how many people are watching their PAID ADS.........as in the case of a regular TV or Radio broadcasting, they use SURVEYS to find out their viewers/audience numbers, and they even have a RATING system for different programs......and this could be done for satellite TV too !

In my opinion, the reason satellite viewers are forced to pay for to view programs because the unjust distribution of advertisers money.
Producers of the programs are spending like there is no tomorrow.....just look at those overpaid, spoiled millionaire actors/actresses/showhosts, etc.....
Since satellite companies are providing a delivery service for the producers of the programs ( so they will reach the intended target viewers),and they should get paid for delivering this service.... therefore part of the incoming advertising money should be forwarded to satellite companies to cover their operating expenses.

It would be interesting to know, whether satellite companies are paying for the programmes or they get paid for delivering ?

Every hacker can justify theft :)

"Sorry, but I don't buy your reasoning !"

How about buying a satellite subscription!

This member is still not responding to modorators PM or pager messages! (Wonder why!)

Last edited:
In Canada the broadcasters are filling a protest to the CRTC to be heard that broadcasting their signal on OTA is unfair competition with the other services that are pay only. The CRTC has agreed to here them. With recently Sirius radio coming to Canada, hopefully this is not the start of the end to free broadcating in Canada. There are an abundance of free radio stations, but what will happen if the TV signals are no longer free... how long can it be before radio takes the same route and becomes pay only.
The TV broadcasters are starting to put up their DTV antennas, but many are far behind the mandated time lines, and many are so low powered, that much of Canada will not get their signals. In Willowdale Ontario (northern portion of Toronto) I can get Amarican DTV signals with a small antenna on my apartment balcany, but not most of the Toronto signals. The Toronto signals are extremely low powered, ranging 1Kw - 34Kw, but do not compare to the Amarican signals ranging up to 1000Kw.

closed...because some people have to justify their "ideas"

Hey Jenom......I dont buy your reasoning. Why dont you answer PM's?
Pretty hard to get FTA with a 18" dish (or two)

Time for a NEW rule here members who do not answer a mods PM or pager message should be banned for a day!

Just thought I would chime in here.

I hear from a little Birdy that DishNetwork via FTA just stopped working. :D :D

Say hello to low priced FTA Equipment. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Just thought I would chime in here.
I hear from a little Birdy that DishNetwork via FTA just stopped working. :D :D
Say hello to low priced FTA Equipment. :D

Something's certainly up, of the 2 hacker forums I know of one has a banner up that the server is overloaded and the other doesn't even come up at all. I'm guessing that a lot of people are panicking. :devil:

Strange coincedence, when I came back to this forum it was down too... :)

We were actually down for a scheduled software update.

What's funny was just before we went down we broke our all time record from number of people online, guess what they were looking for. I guess you can say we black screened them as well (Ok so the screen was white) :)

Question about these possible FTA boxes?

When/If this happens, and I happen to get a great deal from EBAY for one of these hacked boxes, will I be able to get it back to the factory settings? If not, what's the point of getting one?

Al

I overheard two guys in line at Wal-Mart talking about their satellite going out. I started chuckling to myself. Then I heard something like this:

"Hey T... minez is back upz!" "For real!?" "D-boy punched in a ho lotta numbas and it came backz" "Gimme dem digits!"

Wonder if they got there boxes from the little cell phone store down the street that also sells FTA boxes? I tried to get the guy to talk about the good stuff one day but he wouldn't budge. He said he orders, he sells, nothing else.

Most of the hacks site are gone. There's a list somewhere with all the site that got shut down and owned by directTv or just called it quits. I can't wait to get my hands on a coolsat.....

I can't waite, been holding off buying a FTA box, 'cuz pirates have been driving the prices up, should get nice and cheap. Thank you Echostar, all i've wanted was a reliable fta box, USALS and blind scan capable, for a good price!

voomvoom said:
When/If this happens, and I happen to get a great deal from EBAY for one of these hacked boxes, will I be able to get it back to the factory settings? If not, what's the point of getting one?

Al
From everything I hear, its as simple as a factory reset... unless they've screwed up the box with a bad firmware upload.

digiblur said:
"Hey T... minez is back upz!" "For real!?" "D-boy punched in a ho lotta numbas and it came backz" "Gimme dem digits!"
ROFLMAO... Did it REALLY sound like that!? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Are you sure there wasn't a "Pleeeeeeeeeeeazzzzzeeeee" after the "Gimme dem digits!"? Also, did either one have on a T-shirt with an icon like the one that I used on this post? LOL. That's when you pull out an Andrew Jackson and tell them you'll take that "fried" box off their hands for them! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts