Possible PS3 40GB firmware update for backwards compatibility?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AriesGodofWar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Fenton, Mo
Did anyone else see this? 40GB PS3 Firmware Update to Add PS2 Backwards Compatiblity? | Code Retard

If this turns out to be true, it would be spectacular. I always wondered if there was a way to have a firmware emulator to add backwards compatibility to the 40GB systems. If an amateur can create a bad emulator on a PC, I assume Sony programmers could certainly do it on a PS3. I sure hope it works out. Not that I play my PS2 anymore anyways, but would certainly to have to play the classics if I get a bit nostalgic.

It would make the move to eliminate hardware BC in all SKUs make a little more sense.

We'll see though, they said that going this route would be a 100% manual process. Each game they want to make BC would need to be addressed 1 by 1 the same way the 360 did.

Probably be some people upset for paying a premium to get this feature to begin with too.

I never had a PS2, but do have a 40GB PS3. If they did this I would get more use out of it. I'd love to play the God of War games.

If they're offering PS2 downloadable content on the PSN, it only makes sense that they would enable their biggest selling next-gen SKU to handle it. Having missed a decade+ of gaming prior to getting a PS3 last fall, there a few titles I'd be interested in checking out myself...maybe I should buy them before the used prices shoot up following an official announcement.

Though Drake's a great game, it's interesting they'd bundle with a year old game when there are several highly anticipated titles due out in the fall. You'd think they'd go the route they went with for MGS4.

Though Drake's a great game, it's interesting they'd bundle with a year old game when there are several highly anticipated titles due out in the fall. You'd think they'd go the route they went with for MGS4.
A primary reason that I picked up a PS3 when I did was because of the MGS4 bundle. It was a game I was really looking forward to, and the expanded hard drive, new controller, and BC just sold me on it. If they had offered this sort of package instead (core package, 80GB, Drake's Fortune), I probably would still only own a 360 and Wii.

A Resistance 2 bundle would be a HUGE hit, but then again, they couldn't sell the title separately. In my case, I already own Drake's, so if I'm looking to buy a second PS3 for myself, or one for a close friend or relative, I certainly wouldn't get a Drake's bundle.

I hope this would come to pass. I stated in another forum a year or two ago that they could actually do better by trying to engineer a software emulation solution to give the PS3 superior rendering capabilities of PS2 games. It already upconvert ps1 games up to 1080p. *granted with that few polygons it doesn't look much different*

They could turn this into a haymaker for Sony. Under promise and way over deliver- I don't ever expect Sony to do anything Pro customer but for once they have been playing second and third fiddle. That isn't a comfortable place to be it is it?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts