Possible return to Dish - check math & some questions

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
I'm debating returning to Dish since Direct is insistent on slowing down their excellent HR24s with each update and no centralized control or even viewing of the TODO list is in the offing. I'm in the first year, so I know that the ETF will be big, but if I wait until August then I think the math works like this:

New Dish
1 Hopper + 1 Joey - no upfront
Joey lease $7
T200 $59.99
DVR+MRV $10

Total = 76.99 minus $25/mo f/12 months = $51.99
Total 1st year = $623.88

Stay with Direct
3 HR24s lease = $12
Choice Xtra = $68.99
DVR+MRV = $11

Total = $91.99
Total 1 year = $1103.88

Total savings 1 year = $480 minus 12 mos ETF of $240 = Total net savings of $240 after ETF

One thing I can't remember is what upfront charges E* does these days. At one time, they charged 2 months service upfront, is that still true?

Thanks.

A couple questions.

1. I use OTA to my TV for those times when the sat is out. Previously I used a diplexer. Can I use a diplexer for the OTA on the line going to the Hopper?

2. Any rumors about Showtime Extreme lighting up in HD on Dish? Usually I'm not concerned with the multiple HBO/Showtime channels, but I'm a boxing fan and Showtime is now doing the undercard for their Showtime Championship Boxing on Showtime Extreme.

Neither issue is a show stopper.

For new customers there are some online rebates that must be done in order to receive promo credits.

Pay in advance for 1 month only. No more 2 months billing. Also 1st month upfront will be higher than promo price due to the fact of online redemption.

I was under the impression that it was D* that did the online redemption thing while E* promo discounts are automatically applied to the bill?

Times change, I suppose. E* didn't used to do any of that until this last one I think. Now if you get $25 total rebate, you get $15 signing up, and then have to fill out an online form agreeing to autopay, paperless and let them send some spam to get the other $10. No biggie.

Thanks for the info on the upfront charges, I couldn't remember if E* had gotten away from 2 months to start everything. I'm sorry to hear the diplexer for OTA.

Why can't you use a diplexor? I had read somewhere that it made no difference if you used a diplexor on the hopper.
i believe it's because of the frequencies that Dish reserves for the Hopper and Joeys. It would be easier to just run a second coax line.

Well I was bored today, so I did a config and channel check on E*'s site.

If I switch, I lose Showtime Extreme in HD, but pickup BBCA in HD. And can also pick up Epix HD.

But I can't use T200 'cause it is missing NBC Sports channel, gotta go to T250 or better for that. Bummer!