possible subscriber, not sure what I need

bmph8ter

Original poster
May 13, 2008
Good day all. I believe the day has arrived that I'm finally going to ditch cable. I'm in central Arkansas and currently have Comcast (analog) cable TV and high speed Internet. They just raised the TV portion of my bill to over $50 and I personally think that's a bit steep for analog fuzzy channels, no DVR, etc. I could change to their digital package, but honestly for the $$$ they want I don't think it's worth it.

The problem is, I'm not sure what I need for satellite. I'm currently leaning toward DishNetwork, but even that may not be set in stone. I'll give you a bit of info on my equipment, and perhaps someone will be able to give me some suggestions.

I've currently got 2 TVs (upstairs/downstairs both standard def) but may be adding 2 more at some point (also standard def). I don't see us switching to HD anytime soon, so I don't know that I need one of the HD packages. I'm currently looking at America's top 200/250 for programming. If it's still available (I've been unable to get direct confirmation), I would like to sign up for autopay/paperless billing to get Cinemax for $0.01 too.

I would like DVR capabilities on the 2 current TVs, but if I do and the 2 new ones I do NOT need it for them. I also do not have a landline phone (cell only), but do and will continue to have broadband so if I can connect the receivers that way to avoid the extra charge it would be great.

I think the dish builder on their site used to tell you what equipment you would get, but it didn't mention anything so I'm not certain how to check if what I will get will meet my needs. I'm not sure if I'll need one of the HD DVRs since I don't have a phone line, or even if they would let me have an HD DVR since I won't be getting HD channels.

I'm also unsure how to get a good installation done or find a good installer. I've seen pictures here and read hundreds of horror stories concerning shoddy installations. I've searched for good installers/companies in Arkansas, but have come up short so far. Even the 2 that are listed @ dbsinstall.com are out; one does satellite internet and the other is in another part of the state.

I know I'm probably way overthinking this (that's how I am) but I'd really like to get everything I need and have all the work done right the first time. Since I'm out of my element, I humbly defer to the experts for help.

If you've made it this far, I thank you for your patience and any assistance you may provide.

• I've currently got 2 TVs (upstairs/downstairs both standard def) but may be adding 2 more at some point (also standard def). I don't see us switching to HD anytime soon, so I don't know that I need one of the HD packages. I'm currently looking at America's top 200/250 for programming. If it's still available (I've been unable to get direct confirmation), I would like to sign up for autopay/paperless billing to get Cinemax for $0.01 too.
As far as I know, the Cinemax deal is still available. We have had autopay and paperless billing and had no problems. As for programming, we had AT200 and just upgraded to AT250 for the Hockey playoffs. We will be downgrading to AT200 as soon as the Red Wings are out (which will cost us $5). As for the receivers, if you are interested in DVR, you will probably get a 625. This is a Dual Tuner Receiver, so you would be able to feed both TV's from one box. You can run it in Dual mode which would allow each tv to change independently and record stuff. Either TV would be able to see all programs that are recorded. The 625 is an SD receiver. I am not sure of what is available currently in Non-DVR Receivers.

• I would like DVR capabilities on the 2 current TVs, but if I do and the 2 new ones I do NOT need it for them. I also do not have a landline phone (cell only), but do and will continue to have broadband so if I can connect the receivers that way to avoid the extra charge it would be great.
The 625 does not support the broadband connection, so without something like VOIP, you would be stuck with a $5 fee for not having the receiver connected to a phone line.

• I think the dish builder on their site used to tell you what equipment you would get, but it didn't mention anything so I'm not certain how to check if what I will get will meet my needs. I'm not sure if I'll need one of the HD DVRs since I don't have a phone line, or even if they would let me have an HD DVR since I won't be getting HD channels.
They should let you get an HD-DVR, however, there will be a HD Enabling fee (which I believe is like $7 or $8). It may benefit you more (if you decide to go with an HD-DVR, to get the HD Essentials pack (the receiver will output to SD TV's with no problem).

• I'm also unsure how to get a good installation done or find a good installer. I've seen pictures here and read hundreds of horror stories concerning shoddy installations. I've searched for good installers/companies in Arkansas, but have come up short so far. Even the 2 that are listed @ dbsinstall.com are out; one does satellite internet and the other is in another part of the state.
As will probably be mentioned by the time I am done responding, I would call Claude at Dishstore.net. They are a sponsor of this site and his staff and he will be able to get you a good deal. You will also be supporting this site (please I have heard nothing but good things about their installs).

Hope that helps,
Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)