Possible switchover to Directv ... ?'s RV, Alaska, two dvrs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

steeliebob

Original poster
Aug 11, 2016
Forks WA and Kasilof AK
I used to really be up on things in the Sat TV world a decade ago, but have little knowledge of all the current equipment really from either major provider ... so here's the scoop. We're longtime Dish customers with a pair of old 622's. The reason I run this old setup is I travel to Alaska to work for the summers and tape a pile of shows my wife doesn't care to watch during the regular TV season on the 622 in our bedroom ... the bedroom dvr comes with me and I have these shows taped and get the programming I get back home (can't get much HD as they mapdown differently up here and Dish only lets the pair of 622's think they are in exactly the same place).

Well, football season is upon us and our local Fox and Dish are fighting, and have been for some time .... so I'm getting heat from wife n daughter of no Seahawks games for them.

Thus, I'm considering switching and would probably like to have a newer box for home .... I've seen the Genie a little at relatives and definitely a nice upgrade over these old 622's.

So, some questions (I saw a similar thread recently in short research, but didn't address any of these):
1) Can a Genie be installed in one room and a lesser DVR in another so that I might be able to also tape on the lesser box and travel with it?? Or is there anything with switches, LNB's, or other that would not allow such a setup?
2) How friendly is Directv with those with Rv's?? I would love to be able to have the boxes be independent .... for example, my 622 with me right now, displays Pacific time rather than Alaska and HD here is very limited. I can get it switched, but then it messes up my main home box so that it doesn't get much HD and it gets AK time zone vs. Pacific.
3) I have two big dishes (one with wing LNB so that I pull 110, 119, and 129) currently set up here in AK, do I pull from two birds or three with Directv?? I think someone in a spot next to me had a Directv dish emplaced last year and left it, I think it has three LNB's .... it's plenty close enough to do a cable run to that if need be.
I would appreciate any insight those a little more to speed with current equipment and Directv can help me with :) Thanks!

Yes, you can do what you want.
I would get a Genie (5 tuner) and a HR24 (2 tuner) set up for the house.
Don't get the Clients they will want to give you, at least if you want to take a recvr with you.
Put the Genie in the main location at home take the HR24 into a room not used much, this way when you go, you can take that one.
If you have other TVs at your home, client will work for them.

Client have to have the Genie to work, so that's why you can't take one of them with you.

In Alaska you'll want the same dish as you have at home, this will eliminate the need to change set ups b when changing locations.
Sometimes you'll need a different dish in Alaska. ... unknown till you get there I would think.

D* uses a Slimline dish, usually the SWM version, it sees the 99, 101 and 103 Sats.

When your all set up, you can go into the guide and set the correct Timezones for where you are.

isnt it against tos for both dish and direct to have 2 receivers active in 2 diff locations as the OP is wanting to do?

Nope .... friends have one at the home and one at the cottage and D* has NO problem with it.
but from what i read he is planning on using it in both locations at the same time, thats the issue i have seen mentioned

You are correct, that is absolutely against DireCTV's terms of service, two locations being used at the same time equals two accounts, otherwise it's fraud...

Who cares what the tos says. Let Directv figure it out. It's not like he's splitting the bill with a bunch of people.

Reactions: Jimbo
From the way I read it, he's home or in Alaska.

Not the way I sure read it...

2) How friendly is Directv with those with Rv's?? I would love to be able to have the boxes be independent .... for example, my 622 with me right now, displays Pacific time rather than Alaska and HD here is very limited. I can get it switched, but then it messes up my main home box so that it doesn't get much HD and it gets AK time zone vs. Pacific.

Not that I care if he uses BOTH (locations) at once, but since this wasn't specifically answered...unless you set each box up on separate accounts, you're going to have the same problem.

D* DOES offer DNS (Distant Network Service) which provides NY &/or LA nets on CONUS beams, but unless you convince them you're actually traveling with BOTH receivers, they will NOT put it on both; they would again require you to have separate accounts. (this may not even be an issue now for you, but just thought I'd mention it...)

Not the way I sure read it...

Not that I care if he uses BOTH (locations) at once, but since this wasn't specifically answered...unless you set each box up on separate accounts, you're going to have the same problem.

D* DOES offer DNS (Distant Network Service) which provides NY &/or LA nets on CONUS beams, but unless you convince them you're actually traveling with BOTH receivers, they will NOT put it on both; they would again require you to have separate accounts. (this may not even be an issue now for you, but just thought I'd mention it...)
When he said independent of one another I looked at it as not being dependent of the Genie .

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: stardust3
The hr24 will be an out of pocket non-refundable upgrade fee with the configuration he wants.

this is the part that make me think they will be operating at the same time

The question isn't whether the service at both locations is active.
But is someone viewing the content from both locations at the same time whom reside there 365 days a year.

Dish offers Hopper accounts to have the ability to activate two 211s for traveling.
One of my 211s are active at all times with my Hopper system.

But I see no reason why someone couldn't bring their HR on vacation whether it's an RV or a second house.

I have a Hunting cabin in The Poconos, And I bring my 211 all the time.
Even when my Family is at home watching the Hoppers.

And why not, I own the receiver and Pay the $84 a year, Just to use it maybe 1 month a year total.
To the OP
Why not just Upgrade to a Hopper 3
And get a 211 with external Hard drive option?

Unless you are using both locations 365 days a year?
That's not allowed.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

You are correct, that is absolutely against DireCTV's terms of service, two locations being used at the same time equals two accounts, otherwise it's fraud...
You should look up the word Fraud. He's not making money illegally off of someone.

First off He's paying for these every month.
He's also the same person using them with his spouse.

Fraud would be if he had 2 houses and his friend was living in the 2nd house 365 days a year, while using a mirrored account and charged him monthly.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Jimbo
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)