Possible to get locals without box?

dailo

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
I was wondering if it would be possible to get the local channels to feed through all the other cables in my house so that I wouldn't have to rent a box for each tv. I would just like to have one box for the main tv and then the other tv's that aren't used as much to get the local feeds from the OTA antennal. Thanks.

Are there any special instructions I need to give to the installer? He's coming next week to install my voom, hopefully everything goes well :)

The rest of the tv's in my house are not hd compatable, just would like them to see at least the local channels.

You know that this will not be part of the installation and you will probably have to pay extra for this. He should be able to do it with splitters before the diplexer. Not sure if he has to use something better since you are talking about more than one or two tvs.

Oh I thought the guy would just hook the sattelite into the existing cable wiring in the house and then all the jacks would have the signal. Is this possible?

Yes. He would connect your house cable network to the RF out put on the Voom box. Then you would receive the Voom programing on channel 3 of any TV hooked to your house cable circuits. Remember to make sure the cable is disconnected from the cable service outside.

Sounds like a good option, better then paying 30 buxs for another 3 boxes.

I think what dailo is looking for is a splitter on the off air antenna. If he hooks the RF output to the cable in his house then ALL of the TV's will be stuck watching the same channel.

What you need to do is get a satelliet grade spliter and split the coax before it reaches the voom box. Then take 1 piece to the Voom box and the other to the cable already existing in the house.

Or if the installer simply attaches to the existing run of cable coming into your house your problem is already solved. In that case you will effectively have off air and sat signals running to every jack in the house. If you plug a regular TV in it will be able to tune off air stuff. At a later date if you decide on more voom receivers just connect the cable to it and you're watching HD.

I am going to assume you are splitting the coax that comes into the house through multiple splitters. You need to make sure they are all satellite compatable. If the aren't you won't be able to get the sat signal through them. What would be best is one main splitter that way there is less loss.

Indy said:
Yes. He would connect your house cable network to the RF out put on the Voom box. Then you would receive the Voom programing on channel 3 of any TV hooked to your house cable circuits. Remember to make sure the cable is disconnected from the cable service outside.

I didn't realize the Voom box had a built-in modulator. Are you saying that I could get Voom programming on channel 3 and regular OTA programming on their respective channels?

Or does everything go to channel 3 - and I can only view OTA on other sets when the voom box is tuned to that channel?

PS - if the answer to my question is the latter - than here's what you have the installer do ...

1. DO NOT USE the diplexer.
2. Run the satellite line into the voom box
3. Run the OTA line into the main cable box that feeds all the other rooms
4. Use the existing cable run in your TV area to get your ANT feed.

This is what I'm currently doing.

This sounds really good, so if the installer can just feed the sattelite line into the main cable box, so all the jacks will have at least the OTA feed and if a VOOM box is installed, they can get the digital programming? Thanks.

cmslick3 said:
I think what dailo is looking for is a splitter on the off air antenna. If he hooks the RF output to the cable in his house then ALL of the TV's will be stuck watching the same channel.

What you need to do is get a satelliet grade spliter and split the coax before it reaches the voom box. Then take 1 piece to the Voom box and the other to the cable already existing in the house.

Or if the installer simply attaches to the existing run of cable coming into your house your problem is already solved. In that case you will effectively have off air and sat signals running to every jack in the house. If you plug a regular TV in it will be able to tune off air stuff. At a later date if you decide on more voom receivers just connect the cable to it and you're watching HD.

I am going to assume you are splitting the coax that comes into the house through multiple splitters. You need to make sure they are all satellite compatable. If the aren't you won't be able to get the sat signal through them. What would be best is one main splitter that way there is less loss.

vurbano said:
You can still use your analog sets with the voom box and watch the HD in 480p.

Wrong, the program will be watched in interlaced mode not progressive if it is an analog TV. Analog TV's can not display a progressive signal.

If you run a splitter from the OTA to your other TVs you will be able to receive analog channels on them. However, it is possible that the splitter may interfere with the OTA reception because the antenna requires power passed from the receiver to the antenna to power the amplifier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts