Possible to install DirecTV dish on Dishnetwork pole?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dthrnk

Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
central
I'm considering switching to DirecTV. I don't want any new holes in the roof, so after removing the Dishnetwork dish, is it possible to install the DirecTV dish on the Dishnetwork pole, or does each company have a unique installation?

It depends on what you have now. A DISH 500 and a Directv 18" would interchange and a DISH super dish might have the same dia. as a Directv Slimline depending on model. There are also adapters available for different dia pipes. Tell us what you have and what you are getting and a better answer can be given.

I have the Dish 500. I'd be getting a package with HD channels with DirecTv. Thanks for the help.

Dish 500 and Directv round dish - 1.625 in. OD
Slimline - 2.00 in. OD

There are adapters available, but the increased weight and wind load are issues to be considered. Support struts (which Directv calls monopoles) are highly recommended.

It depends on what you have now. A DISH 500 and a Directv 18" would interchange and a DISH super dish might have the same dia. as a Directv Slimline depending on model. There are also adapters available for different dia pipes. Tell us what you have and what you are getting and a better answer can be given.
boba, where would I go about finding one of these adapters? I have a secondary residence that I plan switching out an 18" x 20" with a SL5. Thing is, the pole is too small in diameter for the SL5 to fit tightly around.

Monopoles won't clamp tightly on a 1.625 mast.

They make different size clamps for the mono poles, they are for the international dishes. They will work fine on a standard sized mount. I have a bunch of them and have used them on standard mounts successfully.:up

They make different size clamps for the mono poles, they are for the international dishes. They will work fine on a standard sized mount. I have a bunch of them and have used them on standard mounts successfully.:up
When monopoles came separately you might have alternate clamp rings. I believe with new pack outs the monopoles come with the dish with correct clamps.:)

Yup, I have them from before they started packing them with the dish (which was a good idea IMO). Anyway, they are out there and shouldn't be too hard for you to find if you need them.

If Directv does the installation, would the necessary harware to adapt the existing pole to the Directv dish be included in standard installation? If not, what would the approximate additional cost be?

If Directv does the installation, would the necessary harware to adapt the existing pole to the Directv dish be included in standard installation? If not, what would the approximate additional cost be?
A correct install is to use the mast and monopoles that are provided with the dish. Adapters is not part of a correct approved install from Directv.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts