Possible to set timer for ALL new episodes, and a limited number of reruns?

nathan118

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
I'm brand new to Dish and satellite on a 722. For the weekday shows we like to record. like Heroes and House etc, I've set up my timers to record all New, and set the priority high, making sure to use up my OTA tuner first before the sat tuners.

But for shows like John and Kate + 8, I'm a little stumped. I want to record all NEW episodes just like my weekday shows, but we'd also like a few reruns to have on hand. TLC runs that show constantly though, so I don't want to just hit record ALL.

Is that even possible? It seems like you either need record NEW, which wouldn't record any reruns, or record ALL and set the max number to something like 5...but then it wouldn't differentiate between new and reruns. Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do?

Last idea...can I set up a Dish Pass for John and Kate Plus 8 reruns? Would that work separately from the timer I set to record new episodes?

Thanks everyone!

The possibilities are:

- All
- New
- Once
- Time Slot based (which will still use the name of the program to adjust time and length and not record when pre-empted)

So, if you want only some reruns, you have to be creative.

I have several series where I just use the "ALL" and then once a week, I go to that timer and SKIP a bunch of the events. Probably the best method when you are starting to view a show that has been airing for years...

Fairly simple to do.

Take advantage of the double channel numbers in the dish system.
TLC has two HD channels, one at 183 and one at 9488.
(really just one channel but thats for the tech guys to explain)

Set up one timer to just record new episode on channel 183 and set up a timer to just record reruns with a limited number of episodes on 9488.

I'm brand new to Dish and satellite on a 722. For the weekday shows we like to record. like Heroes and House etc, I've set up my timers to record all New, and set the priority high, making sure to use up my OTA tuner first before the sat tuners.

But for shows like John and Kate + 8, I'm a little stumped. I want to record all NEW episodes just like my weekday shows, but we'd also like a few reruns to have on hand. TLC runs that show constantly though, so I don't want to just hit record ALL.

Is that even possible? It seems like you either need record NEW, which wouldn't record any reruns, or record ALL and set the max number to something like 5...but then it wouldn't differentiate between new and reruns. Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do?

Last idea...can I set up a Dish Pass for John and Kate Plus 8 reruns? Would that work separately from the timer I set to record new episodes?

Thanks everyone!

"All" won't record all episodes, just those that aren't already recorded and stored on the HDD. You might be better off doing a "weekly" record for the time slot when new episodes are run and then finding one or more other time slots when the reruns are usually shown and do a weekly record there as well. That'll cut down on the number of events.

Fairly simple to do.

Take advantage of the double channel numbers in the dish system.
TLC has two HD channels, one at 183 and one at 9488.
(really just one channel but thats for the tech guys to explain)

Set up one timer to just record new episode on channel 183 and set up a timer to just record reruns with a limited number of episodes on 9488.

Great idea! That should do exactly what I was thinking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)