Possible to split input cable to 2 receivers???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dbdsac

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
I own a 508 receiver and I have just taken advantage of the 6000u offer (to tide me over until the 921's are released!!). I would like to split the satellite signal coming into the house to feed both of my receivers, then cable both receivers into different inputs to my TV so I can choose which receiver to watch. Is splitting the input signal possible? :?:

Thanks for the quick reply...I have had people tell me it may not work correctly so I thought I would throw this question out to a more "knowledgable" bunch. Any recommended splitter? specs? things I should watch out for?

<<Any recommended splitter? specs? things I should watch out for?>>

I'm probably not the best person to ask in that department, but I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

~Alan

I realize I won't be able to record HD w/ the 508, I just want to still be able to use it for SD programming. I need to know if splitting will somehow degrade the satellite signal.

Your best bet is to get an A/B selector from Rat shack and just push the button when you want to switch receivers.

If you want to try a splitter(not recommended) you need to get one that passes D/C current on both sides as the receivers power the LNB through the coax, and most splitters block DC current.

Keep in mind using either will cause issues with the guide being able to download while the other receiver is in use. They get guide and receiver updates from the sat even when you are not using them. So you may need to wait for the guide to load when you switch back and forth.

You know you cant use both at the same time, right? :shock:

Hope this helps

TheaterWizard-
Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for...thank-you. I guess I'm headed for Radio Shack for an A/B switch. Do you think a signal amplifier placed right before the A/B switch would help? Radio Shack sells them for about $10.

Glad to help, I dont believe the signal booster will help with anything unless your cable is well over 100ft in length from dish to receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)