Possible VOOM new encoders

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
In the announced expansion plans, VOOM mentioned that it will use new encoders from Harmonic that support MPEG-2 and are upgradable to MPEG-4. For those of you with technical interest, I did some research and it looks like they may be using the "DiviCom MV 100 Encoder:

MV100%5Ffront%5Fv04%2D09%5FLR%2Ejpg

Specifications:

Versatile encoding platform with increased processing power to support advanced MPEG-2 algorithms as well as emerging compression standards.
Ultra-low bit rate compression capabilities
Multi-pass "LookAhead" CBR/VBR encoding
Advanced filtering and processing
ENRGY™ noise reduction
Supports DiviTrackXE™ statistical multiplexing
Up to six stereo/12 mono audio pairs
Optional: 100BaseT IP output

data sheet

Yep, I looked at this the other day when I reading through the Ammendment #4 filing. Stupid question: doesn't the VOOM MPEG-2 decoder need some tweaking to take advantage the "Ultra-low bit rate compression capabilities" of the Harmonic encoder? If so, will this be a simple firmware push or will it require a new chip?

Ok, does anyone know what kind of bandwidth this MPEG-2 codec will save: 5%, 10%, etc., and how will it improve the PQ?

DarrellP said:
I don't like the looks of that sentence. Will our mosquito noise become Wasp noise?
First came the blood sucking and now comes getting stung in the you-know-where...what's next?...B-52 Noise? :p But seriously, I have noticed much less Mosquito Noise on the Equator channel (aka Gnat Noise), but today, for the first time, I noticed Gnat Noise on HDNews. The PQ on HDNews is usually pretty good---sometimes a bit soft---but this was the first time I noticed Gnat Noise.

Also, I had an opportunity to see part of the Phil Collins Farewell Tour a short while ago. The kids & the dogs and I had a great time jumping about, however I did notice some Gnat Noise on Rave. I've seen some grainy transfers of this channel, but this appeared to be Mosquito Noise Jr. - it was barely noticable, at first, but it was there. It appears VOOM be reallocating bandwidth do testing dem dar new CODEC? :confused: Anyway, we still need more bandwidth. :yes

Offhand, I can live with the bandwidth constraint until SES Americom is fully operational in March. Of course, it would be suprisingly good PR if Mr. Dolan were to keep a handful of pristine HD channels, keep us informed of engineering changing affecting PQ, and reassure is that PQ will be of high importance when the new transponders are ready for use.

Ugh! I am now seeing Mosquito and Gnat Noise in my minds eye. Arrgghh!

You got it! I see at least Gnat noise on EVERY SINGLE VOOM HD CHANNEL. I want ZERO Gnat noise, ZERO mosquito noise. Dump the crappy compression algorithm already.

Definately MV 100's and also DiviCom® MV 450 Encoder for HD.
Anyone who saw any of the Fox Bay Area baseball games saw the Harmonic HD encoder in action.

DarrellP said:
I don't like the looks of that sentence. Will our mosquito noise become Wasp noise?
Darrell, don't make much sense out of the "ultra-low compression capabilities" sentence. It clearly sounds like a marketing BS. I'm sure every encoder in the market will advertise that ;)
I think that just the fact that VOOM is switching encoders give us some hope that the mosquito noise can go away.

riffjim4069 said:
doesn't the VOOM MPEG-2 decoder need some tweaking to take advantage the "Ultra-low bit rate compression capabilities" of the Harmonic encoder? If so, will this be a simple firmware push or will it require a new chip?
No decoder (STB) change required. The way that the MPEG-2 specification works is that it mandates all decoder (at a given profile) to support ALL MPEG-2 features, but it doesn't require the same from the encoder.
riffjim4069 said:
Ok, does anyone know what kind of bandwidth this MPEG-2 codec will save: 5%, 10%, etc., and how will it improve the PQ?
It depends on what encoders VOOM is using now.

Scott,
Did you get that info from a VOOM insider? Did your source tell you any more details? For example, how many more channels would they be able to add with the migration to Harmonic? Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll start doing the comparison of 700 vs. 999.

Yes I was told that when I asked what channel 700 was. And I was told it was a test with the new Harmonic encoders making sure it worked well with the DSR550's.

No more details then that other then the detail that this channel was not a PPV channel. :)

I just got done checking out Channel 700 and all I can say is....

WOW! I watched for a good 5 minutes, scrutinizing every scene and saw an extremely small (littler than a gnat) noise, which may have been film noise and not compression noise.

All I have to say is if all of Voom's channels look this good, I will be a happy camper. :yes :p :D

DarrellP said:
I just got done checking out Channel 700 and all I can say is....

WOW! I watched for a good 5 minutes, scrutinizing every scene and saw an extremely small (littler than a gnat) noise, which may have been film noise and not compression noise.

All I have to say is if all of Voom's channels look this good, I will be a happy camper. :yes :p :D

Did you check it on your projector? Just curious...

Sorry to get your hopes up, I just watched more of Channel 700 and I am still disappointed. I watched a clip for Smart Travels on EquatorHD and it reeked of Skeeters. Any fine detail like the old buildings in Europe brings them alive, so they need to go back to the drawing board. :( It can't be the source material because I've seen ST on PBS and HDNET and it is one of the cleanest HD presentations I've ever seen. :shocked

Maybe when they have all channels running this new codec, they will have a bit more bandwidth? I hope so, this is NOT acceptable HD. :no

Hey Scott, any chance on getting a compression engineer into my home to setup these channels while monitoring in on my screen? :D

Darrell--

Maybe there just testing you to see if your watching. Switch on, switch off, sort of thing? :)

Yeah, they are torturing me! STOP THE MADNESS!!! I'm watching too much MonstersHD lately. ;)

I did some checks of channel 700 and 999 last night, and from what and my wife noticed was that 700 seemed better and more colorfull. My wife commented that the colors on 999 seemed flat while they were more vibrant on 700.

I still can see the mosquito noise in some of the equators programs on this channel. It is hidden in the background but you could still see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)