possibly getting a 6footer soon, whats to be expected?

edugamer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2019
pa
So I was able to convince my mom to let me have a dish like this to play around with in the spring, I even let her know how we can paint it together and have fun building it then and she is cool with it as long as I am not just hording dishes as it might sometimes appeare like it lol. We are having some yard work that needs done in the spring so it will most likely go up then. It comes apart like a pizza I think, and is most likely mesh which both me and my mom are happy to know. It is a prime focus and comes with a CBand lnb according to the seller. I might be getting it next week. I am selling a few things to save up for it. For $50, I think it should be a nice toy to mess with I guess. I hear it will be a awesome KuBand disk but for CBand, forget it. Or will I maybe be able to pull in some CBand stuff with this thing? What is to be expected from a dish like this?

You should be able to get some things. NHK World @ 58W is a real gem that comes in well on a 6 footer.

I'd suggest over-engineering the pole height and concrete pad you pour for it so that you could potentially upgrade the mounted dish to be up to 12 feet in diameter.

Once you get the taste of what you can get with a 6 footer and see firsthand all the things you're still missing out on with a 6 footer then you'll want to get something bigger.

I would not take the dish segments apart. You can remove the parabolic from the mounting ring if necessary.

If it was me.... I'd ride around in search of a 10 foot dish (for C Band) instead. You may even find one for free. Plenty of time until spring. Just my opinion.

Reactions: primestar31
Are you going to use that as a fixed aim dish, or are you going to use a "dish mover" to get more than one satellite?
probably fixed for a while.
Once I sell enough AVRs and stuff Ill probably put it on a motor of some kind. At the moment Im saving up for a moteck another FTAer is selling me for a good price. Its the same guy actually! Not sure if I sould get the dish first or the moteck from him. Probably getting the dish first. The moteck is $60! The dish is being sold to me for $50 as it is unknown if it is missing some hardware. Willing to take a chance on the disk as I imagine if something is missing I might be able to get parts for it. It does come with CBand LNBs which is why Im mostly getting it.
It looks like CBand stuff is super rare here.

No, there's a whole section for C-band here.
C-BAND Satellite Discussion

My point was, first figure out which channel(s) you want to see, on which satellite, then you will know where to point your dish. (Of course, if you get a dish mover, you can see channels on multiple satellites.) This should get you started:
North & South America - LyngSat
They list all the satellites; click on the satellite name to see what's on each one. C-band and Ku-band are clearly marked; some satellites carry both. And most of it is encoded; so you'll only get the Free To Air channels. Plenty of those, though.

This listing will give you a good idea of what's available, and signal strength:
Free TV from United States - LyngSat
Satellites with -0- signal strength are below the horizon, or out of service.

Go "shopping", see what's there and what you want. The signal strength will give you an idea how well you can receive each channel *BUT* actual results will vary. It depends on your aim, the quality of your LNB, etc.
Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts