Possibly Switching to Dish Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
I am currently a DTV customer, and I'm considering switching over to Dish---I'm not there yet, but I am exploring my options. I do have a question about the switch though. I already have one satellite dish on the roof, and I'm not real fond of having another set of holes drilled through the roof so another dish can be installed. Is there some way to convert a DTV satellite dish into a Dish Network dish in order to avoid this from happening? Like I said, I'm just investigating my options at this point, and I will give DTV a chance to retain me as a customer. But, I love what I'm seeing from the Hopper and I'm investigating my options.

ADDED AFTER INITIAL POSTING:

I have a few other questions now that I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Dish and the Hopper. Here they are:

1. If I understand things correctly, the Hopper provides the ability to see what others in the house are watching. Can that feature be turned off or is it permanent?
2. how many total shows does the hopper record? Please explain this to me? I am wanting two hoppers with one Joey to go with each Hopper.
3. how many sports channels does one have with Dish's everything package?
4. Can you turn off primetime recordings to ABC CBS etc. individually? And if so, how many total shows could I then record at the same time? 6,5,4,3?

Last edited:
The dish is typically mounted on a bracket/pole. The new dish should be able to mount on the same hardware, assuming there are no trees or ??? Blocking the Line Of Sight to the Dish satellites.
Proper mounting seldom includes a roof penetration, but you will need to get 2 or 3 coax cables into the house to connect the Node and or Hopper.
a skilled installer my have numerous ways to make all this happen.

The dish is typically mounted on a bracket/pole. The new dish should be able to mount on the same hardware, assuming there are no trees or ??? Blocking the Line Of Sight to the Dish satellites.
Proper mounting seldom includes a roof penetration, but you will need to get 2 or 3 coax cables into the house to connect the Node and or Hopper.

Clear line of site, as long as the dish is mounted on the roof. If it is mounted on the ground, there are too many trees, thus the roof install. Thanks for your response.

A roof mount may be fastened to the eaves or chimney avoiding roof penetration.
Cables may be routed through roof vents or eve vents int the attic avoiding penetration again. Fishing coax through walls is doable, but many installers will refuse, due to extra time and effort, as well as liability if they break through wall.

For my Dish mount I specifically asked for no roof mount, and no drilling into the siding. He used a J mount connected to the eaves under the roof. Works perfectly and no damage to roof or siding.

Alan

For my Dish mount I specifically asked for no roof mount, and no drilling into the siding. He used a J mount connected to the eaves under the roof. Works perfectly and no damage to roof or siding.

Alan

Sweet! Alan, is there any way you could post a picture of that mounted? That way I could show it to the installer prior to his coming.

Last edited:
If you are talking about the mast, No, the mount diameters are different between the two. A new one would be required from Direct to Dish.

I seem to remember that there is a conversion device between the two masts that make it fairly simple...
Perhaps, but my my brother in law in Lexington, KY, who I converted, had to change out the mount. Was not a big deal since it was not a roof mount to begin with

The best way is to use self drilling screws with a short piece of .166 pipe inside the directv mast. Some installers can & will do it, others can't because of qc restrictions. It's a shame because the directv mast is a much sturdier setup than a dish mast.

I am currently a DTV customer, and I'm considering switching over to Dish---I'm not there yet, but I am exploring my options. I do have a question about the switch though. I already have one satellite dish on the roof, and I'm not real fond of having another set of holes drilled through the roof so another dish can be installed. Is there some way to convert a DTV satellite dish into a Dish Network dish in order to avoid this from happening? Like I said, I'm just investigating my options at this point, and I will give DTV a chance to retain me as a customer. But, I love what I'm seeing from the Hopper and I'm investigating my options.

ADDED AFTER INITIAL POSTING:

I have a few other questions now that I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Dish and the Hopper. Here they are:

1. If I understand things correctly, the Hopper provides the ability to see what others in the house are watching. Can that feature be turned off or is it permanent?
I don't believe you can turn that off.

2. how many total shows does the hopper record? Please explain this to me? I am wanting two hoppers with one Joey to go with each Hopper?
If you have two Hoppers you will be able to record 6 different shows at once. You have the ability to record up to 9 if 4 of those programs are on ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX.

3. how many sports channels does one have with Dish's everything package?
The same as the AT250. The only thing the Everything package adds are the premium movie channels. You'll get your Regional Sports channels plus NFL Network, NHL Network, MLB Network, NBA Network, Golf Channel, Tennis Channel, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, Outdoor Channel and Sportsman Channel. I may have missed a couple. You can add the Multi-Sports package for more Regional Sports channels and NFL Redzone.

4. Can you turn off primetime recordings to ABC CBS etc. individually? And if so, how many total shows could I then record at the same time? 6,5,4,3?
Yes. You can record a max of 9 shows as long as 4 of them are ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. If not recording any of those the max is 6. If you add an OTA tuner you can record one more show off of the OTA tuner.

Answers in bold

Thank you Scherrman. That is very helpful. My install is set for Saturday afternoon. I fired DTV. KIDDING, actually I have nothing bad to say about them. I just really like what Dish is doing with the Hopper Joey setup. Very creative!

Aside from the hopper isn't 1 of the main reasons for switching to get TWC back? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts