Post mount dish installation

webbydude said:
Not that I don't doubt you, but...can you post a link as to what section of the NEC states that it's kosher to use a concrete ground????

Don't blame you for doubting me. :D Seems silly.

I don't have a new code. I'm too cheap. I borrow one when I go to training.
You'll have to do your own research.

The ground I mention is recommended in place of a rod. During construction a minimum length of #6 cu is imbedded in the footings and stubbed up to be connected in service entrance box. May be under 250.52? Which mentions "concrete encased" grounding electrode. 10' or more.

I think you are missing the point a 1' concrete ball in the ground is not a ground. As you point out (10' concrete encased electrode) would not be a typical pole mount.

I would love to see this new NEC code because I still have my doubts.

I'm inclined to agree with Rowemance on this one. It would be wonderful if I had some documentation to back me up if/when I did a pole-mount install and can claim the dish is already grounded due to it being cemented. But short of having a 10' pole encased in a huge chunk of cement, that's the only way I can see NEC allowing that sort of grounding.

Just for the record, my pole mounts are usually 6' poles that are buried about 3' in the ground with a 40 pound bag of cement.

Thats the way I do it. 6' fence post dig a 1' hole or so and pound the pole in about 2' that way you have 3' above and 3 below then pour your cement and ground at the house. This also allows you to finish the install while the cement drys with out the pole moving and in the future any water that gets in the pipe will go in the ground and not roit out the pole.

Exactly!!

Who wudda thunk it...retailer and DNSC using the same techniques (just giving you a little ribbing, Rowemance :p )

Back to the original point, I don't think ANY installer is going to use a 10' pole and that large amount of cement to qualify it as a Ufer ground.

I agree !

Never said the pole would automaticaly be grd to code. My comment was in rebuttle to the statement that concrete was not conductive or useful as a grd. :)

Its a question of least resistance, a rod put 8 ft in the ground will have less resistance as compared to a metal pole 3 foot in the ground encased in concrete. Ive had dozens of customers who had cband systems hit by lightning and the whole system always got wiped out by the lightning strike because none of these systems are ever grounded. Since Ive been installing dbs satellite I have never come across a single c band, ku band, or free to air system that has been grounded in any sense of the word, however I have come across 7 airial towers that have been grounded with 4 being grounded correctly.

Is hd programming worth the cost?

522 no longer recording, lost timers, etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)