Post Your Dish Hopper Install Experience: Did You Survive?

Hi everyone, first post over here :)

1) How many Hopper/Joeys were installed?
1 Hopper and 2 Joeys

2) Were you able to get the best promotional price for the Hopper system?
Yes, just paid for the sling adapter

3) Who did the install/upgrade? Dish Network Tech, Retailer, or Third Party Contractor
Dish Network Tech

4) How long did the install take? hours? days?
~ 6 hours. This was in part because there is no access to my attic from the outside. My house is sealed with foam, no vents, etc.

5) What was the overall install experience?
Excellent. The tech was knowledgable, friendly, professional, and did a super clean install. He even refused a tip at the end stating it was against policy :eek:

6) What problems did you have during the install?
None really. He dropped my internet connection for a bit on accident re-running lines, but got it back before he left of course.

7) After the install: What immediate problems did the tech leave you with that need to be fixed right away by Dish?
None....not a single one (jinxed myself I'm sure)

8) After the install: What problems will you'll fix on your own or waiting for Dish to push a software fix?
None I can think of.

9) Anything else?
The system is slick, plain and simple.

1 hopper and 1 joey

I got new customer promo

3) Who did the install/upgrade? Dish Network Tech, Retailer, or Third Party Contractor
He said he was a contractor

It took 1 1/2 hour

5) What was the overall install experience? The install was excellent

6) What problems did you have during the install? no problem during install.

7) After the install: What immediate problems did the tech leave you with that need to be fixed right away by Dish?
No problems

8) After the install: What problems will you'll fix on your own or waiting for Dish to push a software fix? None so far

9) Anything else? yes wondering why i only have 1 day of guide data instead of 9, I was install tuesday

Here's a few questions i came up with for people who have finished installation:

-1 hopper 2 joeys
-after being quoted $400 was able to get for $200 less than year under contract so it seemed fair.
-DRS
-2 1/2 hours could have been quicker see below.
-I moved inet next to hopper, got a better wireless signal due to new placement...sweet. Installer was quick as he did a couple installs already, we were discussing the forum between downloads. :)
-hopper wasn't seeing sat, getting no signal. Switch was bad out of the box...awesome!
-on demand wasn't working called into dish hard reset and another push to the box did the trick.
8) After the install: What problems will you'll fix on your own or waiting for Dish to push a software fix?
-so far I'm happy prat kicks arse :)
9) Anything else?
-RTFM collapseable menus...lol where is xm....lol oh look at that select 99 and the menu expands...doh!

mpg said:
Here's a few questions i came up with for people who have finished installation:

-1 hopper 2 joeys
-after being quoted $400 was able to get for $200 less than year under contract so it seemed fair.
-DRS
-2 1/2 hours could have been quicker see below.
-I moved inet next to hopper, got a better wireless signal due to new placement...sweet. Installer was quick as he did a couple installs already, we were discussing the forum between downloads. :)
-hopper wasn't seeing sat, getting no signal. Switch was bad out of the box...awesome!
-on demand wasn't working called into dish hard reset and another push to the box did the trick.
-so far I'm happy prat kicks arse :)
9) Anything else?
-RTFM collapseable menus...lol where is xm....lol oh look at that select 99 and the menu expands...doh!

Checked yesterday and was billed $400. After mild fit of rage, called dish to only be told its a valid charge and that it's an expensive system. Lol I don't care if it's two grand I was told $200 now fix it. Was then told only option is to cancel for $280...hmm ok it's cheaper than the $500+ you are trying to stick to me.

After a pause she escalated, spoke to Jason who reviewed the account notes from when the order was placed. Took care of the charges and this morning it's down $200. Now that it was delivered as promised....system is badass!

Thanks Jason!

BTW not mentioned earlier I did tip the installer. :)

1. How many Hopper/Joeys were installed? I had 1 Hopper and 3 Joey’s installed to replace two VIP 722 HD/DVR receivers servicing 4 HDTV’s.
  2. Were you able to get the best promotional price for the Hopper system? Yes. I paid $0 for the equipment upgrade and installer visit (I have a service contract) and got HBO, Showtime and Blockbuster free for 3 months. Told them I saw DirectTV’s Whole Home DVR as a viable alternative, if I, as a long time customer with excellent credit, could not get a similar deal as new Dish customers.
  3. Who did the install/upgrade? Dish Network Tech
  4. How long did the install take? 4 and ½ hours (8:00 A.M. - 12:30 P.M)
  5. What was the overall install experience? Over all it wasn’t that bad. I thought, with the cabling already in place in all 4 rooms, the installation wouldn’t take as long but the software downloads took way, way, way too long!
  6. What problems did you have during the install? The only problem I had was the installer was not able to get Block Buster Movie Pass and VOD to work. Even though the system recognized my hardwired broadband network and showed it as connected and working, I would get a “no network connection” error message every time I clicked the BB or VOD icons.
  7. After the install: What immediate problems did the tech leave you with that need to be fixed right away by Dish? See question # 6. The installer told me to wait 24 hours and if BB and VOD still wasn’t working to call DISH. When I tried them again around 5:30 that same afternoon, they were both working fine. The download times for movies/shows are way faster than what I experienced on the VIP 722’s.
  8. After the install: What problems will you'll fix on your own or waiting for Dish to push a software fix? None

1) How many Hopper/Joeys were installed? 1 Hopper, 2 Joey's (replacing 722 & 612)
2) Were you able to get the best promotional price for the Hopper system? Yes, $0 for equipment upgrade and install. Was not currently under contract for a couple years, didn't ask for the free HBO, Showtime, Blockbuster deal and had to sign a new 24 month contract.
3) Who did the install/upgrade? Dish Network Tech, Retailer, or Third Party Contractor Dish Network Tech
4) How long did the install take? hours? days? 2 hours
5) What was the overall install experience? Good experience, I had everything ready to go- Access to install single node, ethernet port near the hopper. Activating the hopper first seemed to take about 20-30 minutes. Seems like Dish could have installed from a USB device or preloaded the software. Wastes their installer's time to just wait and watch.
6) What problems did you have during the install? None
7) After the install: What immediate problems did the tech leave you with that need to be fixed right away by Dish? None
8) After the install: What problems will you'll fix on your own or waiting for Dish to push a software fix? Caller id didn't work at first, but the next day it did. Have had a few minor playback errors with transferring from EHD.
9) Anything else? Really excited about the PTAT and having all programs on all TV's.

Originally Posted by sparc
2 Hoppers, 3 Joeys
Yes $200
Contractor
3 hours including replacing my 12 year old dish
Great
None
None
EHD. At first neither Hopper would not recognize any of my EHDs so I had "Magic" Matt (DIRT) hit my account. That got the receivers to recognize the EHDs but when I tried to play something off the drives I get the 00 error.
9) Anything else?
Can't wait for the EHD software fix.

1 Hopper - 3 Joeys
Yes, new customer (17+ years DTV) $0...$30 for sling adapter
Contractor
2 hours
Excellent. Scheduled for Sat Morning....called Friday evening and offered to install and have us up and running for the evening.....and did!
None...remarkably smooth
No problems
None found yet
9) Anything else?
Yes....really need to be able to change guide text size/color....not easy to see

1 Hopper, 3 Joeys

Yes, $100 after signing up for dish protection plan.

Dish Tech

It took about 4 hours from start to activation of Hopper and the 3 Joeys. Including moving my Dish

Good

The Tech made me let him move the dish from the side of the house to the roof.

None

None

9) Anything else?

2 Hoppers & 6 Joeys
Yes, $200 for 2 Hoppers & 4 Joeys with 2-year recommit. Due to 6 item lease limit, I had to purchase Joeys 5 & 6 for $100 each at Solid Signal. (Much cheaper and more flexible than the $2K-$3K investment I was about to make in ZeeVee digital modulators to redistribute HD signals throughout the house.)
Dish Network Tech did 2 Hopper & 4 Joey install. Joeys 5 & 6 were self installed.
Install for the 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys took ~2.5 hours. However, I had run, tested and marked all cabling before the appointment. So, the hookup literally only took 10 minutes. The rest of the time was spent waiting for software downloads. Joeys 5 & 6 took about 15 minutes each - just had to run through the setup wizard and they self-activated through the Hopper Internet connection.
Installl experience was good, but all my existing and new wiring was RG6 and all connectors and wallplates updated up to 3Ghz.
None, but wish I could have self-installed the leased equipment. (My family is very private and doesn't like technicians running around my house.)
None
Obviously waiting for Hopper integration.
Glad to see that they are possibly making the user partition larger; seemed rediculous to have 1TB reserved for Dish when we never watch PPV (it's too expensive when I can get the same movie at Redbox for ~$1).
Would also like an option to extend PTAT by 30 minutes to include local 10PM (CST) news on major networks without tying up more than one tuner (wife records 2 news programs)
Would like an option to "hop" onto a DVR stream so multiple Joeys can watch the exact same stream (similar to when you hop on a live stream). This way one person can control commercial jumps for multiple viewers. Works more like when I RF modulated my VIP722 output throughout the house (my wife feels more like we are watching TV together - even when in seperate rooms). However, I would also like to keep the option to run multiple, seperate streams of the same DVR program (like it works now). Possibly "DVR simulcast" and "DVR solo" options to accomodate either situation.
9) Anything else?
No.

New Customer
2h/3j

$199 for additional hopper

Dish Tech

4) How long did the install take?
5 hrs. Arrived at 8:15am, left at 1:15pm Used existing RG6 inside.

None except for a few major downpours

So far absolutely none

None

1H/2J

Std. $99 upgrade fee

3rd Party.

5.25 hours

Great. The Tech knew what he was doing and wired everything how and where I wanted.. same with dish placement.

None.

None.

None that I am aware of. House is still being remodeled so not living there yet.

9) Anything else?
No.

1H/2J

No. I purchased all the equipment.

3rd Party.

2.5 hours

Very good. This was an RV install which several installers had already passed on.
The tech had 12 years of experience with Dish/DirecTV + several Hopper installs.
He even fixed my Solo Node which had a defective connector.

Solo Node problem (see above).

None.

RV Hopper use is a bit different than sticks & bricks.
Since the RV can be in a new location each day, Check Switch is used all the time. My RV uses a rooftop Winegard Travler (Dish 1000 Western Arc), but I have the Hopper wired on a AB switch so it can receive signals from a portable dish 1000.4 I carry (when parked under trees).

I have yet to test it with the 1000.4 Eastern Arc LNB.

9) Anything else?
I regret buying my Hopper & Joeys because I still have to pay a lease fee.
The only good thing about buying equipment is that I can put my account on "pause" when I store the RV.​

1 Hopper and 2 Joeys
$50
Third Party Contractor to Dish
4 Hours
Tech cared, but was not seasoned. At least not a green horn. From other forums, I think training lacking, Dish appears not to know product very well themselves. The Hopper Joey equipment installs different than previous receivers due to the link ups between the Hoppers and Joeys. I think if they were just installed and tech left with no problems would take 2 hours min. So this will be all day install for many that have say an 8-12 install window promise, installer arrives closer to noon then takes 4 hours so just plan on being home all day and you won't be upset.
HIC would not work. Install could not get to work. Dish techs could not get to work. Nobody has a clue as to why not. Installer says he has never had a sucessful HIC install. So went back to wireless hook up to Hopper, 1 Joey close enough to get direct wired plug in, 1 Joey no internet access. Caller ID feature was lost. Installer does not know why. Dish Techs do not know why. I suspect it is because if internet access and software does not currently recognize wired phone line for Caller ID. Really miss the pop up of who is caller on TV - hope software patch fixes soon.
7) After the
install: What immediate problems did the tech leave you with that need to be fixed right away by Dish?
The Dish 40.0 remotes work differently that others. You can no longer do a scan to find your TV or Aux equipment codes. If the code is not in the Dish Software / remote sofware, there is no way to use Dish 40.0 remote to operate properly as we were able to with previous remotes. A giant step back. 40.0 remotes use 4 digit remote codes, instead of the old 3 digit ones, so knowing your old code is of no help. Even if you think you know the correct 4 digit code for the TV or Aux, and enter code manually, Remote will reject if it does not match a code in current software. So I have 1 setup that works all equipment correctly via 40.0 remote, 1 set up that I can caress to work with the dish remote, but does not work in usual method, 1 setup where I have to use a seperate remote for the TV and the Joey. There exist no current software code for this TV and many other existing TVs. I would guess 1/3 to 1/2 of existing TVs will not have a 4 digit code that will work their TV / Aux and there is no work around, you will have to use 2 remotes until Dish recognizes this problem and offers a fix. The remotes do have a scan & learn your device remote for code, but did not work on 2 problem remotes. Could be because code it was seeing was not in software, I don't know, but would seem logical.
Wait on Dish for: Caller ID, HIC, Remote problems above - my guess at least a year - based on prior similar experiences.
9) Anything else?
You no longer get a manual. You are pretty much on your own. I did find a pdf Manual at www.mydish.com/support/FileStream.ashx?ID=2496 It is 138 pages and you can not get a printed manual any more with the Hopper/Joeys and that really sux. Can't dog ear or post it note often used pages in a pdf file, nor easily flip from page to page, etc. Dish should offer a printed manual especially for this new and quite different equipment operation.
Hopper/Joey seems to be faster and better definition. Maybe not, be seems that way to me. Like the new products. Hate the new Remotes situation. The remotes would be a deal killer if I were thinking about changing from DTV to Dish. Probably would have been a deal delayer for another year if I had known about the programming problems of the 40.0 remotes.

Why are there so many contractors and third partys? You would think they would want more footprint with internal technians. That way there arn't a bunch of people doing their own thing. Just my opinion.

Hopper Hell

1) How many Hopper/Joeys were installed? Initially 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys, but after my first viewing conflict, ordered another Hopper for the additional tuners. 2) Were you able to get the best promotional price for the Hopper system? $200 for the 2x Hoppers 3) Who did the install/upgrade? Dish Network Tech, Retailer, or Third Party Contractor Dish Network Tech 4) How long did the install take? hours? days? Initial install took 2 hrs, new Hopper installed 2-3 weeks later took another hr 5) What was the overall install experience? Install techs were great, but uninformed as to the functionality aspects of the Hopper/Joeys. 6) What problems did you have during the install? Bad Hoppers had to be replaced, twice. 7) After the install: What immediate problems did the tech leave you with that need to be fixed right away by Dish? The system was working as it should following the install 8) After the install: What problems will you'll fix on your own or waiting for Dish to push a software fix? Finally, 3 months later, my two Hoppers are "talking" to each other and I can view recorded programs on either Hopper on any TV in the house 9) Anything else? NOTHING but problems ever since. I've had the main Hopper in the AV system replaced now due to serious lag issues (rewinding, navigating menus, etc) and continue to have to power the unit down every 3-4 days due to this and "looking for Hopper" errors on my daughter's Joey. Unplugging the Hopper, letting it sit for 60 seconds and plugging it back in seems to alleviate this but I should not have to do this so frequently. I would have the replaced the Hopper again if not for the massive list of shows that I record and the time it would take to recreate these recordings ... (any suggestions on how to get around this problem?) I had a pair of 622's before this and never had issues like this before.

2 Hoppers & 3 Joeys

$200 for 2 Hoppers & 3 Joeys with 2-year recommit.

Third party contractor

4 1/2 hours

Very good. I have had the house wired years ago for direct tv. They used a lot of old wire from cable. Then Dish used the same wiring, and when I upgraded to 722 the techs did as little as possible, in fact one was very upset he'd have to go in the crawl space, so I did and fed wire to him. Anyways, my installer today replaced all my wiring and kept me in the loop as to why.

None, except he decided to rewire the entire system.

None

Full 2 Hopper integration.

9) Anything else?

No

2H/2J

Yes. $0 cost to get me to sign a 2 year contract (customer for 12 years, have never been under contract - always owned, never leased)

DNSC

4 Hours

5) What was the overall install experience?.

Good overall. Tech had only been with dish for about 1.5 months so while he was well trained, the troubleshooting and knowledge that comes with experience was lacking. I took the initiative to cable both hoppers in my cabinets to ensure they were connected correctly (hdmi, phone, network, slingbox, ext hard drive, etc). I have one of the original Dish 1000s and initially the tech wanted to replace it with a 1000.2, but after checking my signals, just repeaked and left well enough alone.

I asked to keep my existing DPP44 x2 chain and after installing the Duo node, the 129 sat went dead. Tech was prepared to replace the DPP44 and the Dish until I 'jiggled' the F connector where the LNB feed plugged into the DPP44 (grin). 20 cent F connector and we were back in business (*see my comment above about experience). My house is cabled to every room with RG6 Quad shield and we were getting no connection on one of the joeys, but this was my fault as I had one of the runs labeled wrong. I was able to trace the line with a toner and that problem was fixed.

None that were known before the tech left.

1) Transfer recordings, recreate timers, learn all the Eccentricities of the new receivers. (Hint Hint.. how about a way to transfer timers Dish - oh and what happened to that nifty backup timers to the remote crap on the 722K?)
2) I'm not seeing the channel logos in the guide or the show graphics in the DVR.... not sure if that requires the nightly download or not.
3) Reprogram all of my remotes (relearn all custom programming.. again) Dish should have developed a way to transfer that. particularly from a 722K (hint.. hint again)

4) I've ordered an RJ modulator and will be backfeeding one of my Joeys into my cable system for two other SD TVs.

9) Anything else?

1)I hate the icon/tile view in the DVR recordings and that alone has seriously affected the WAF on these new machines (we both hate it).
2) I jumped on the free deal when I was originally planning to wait for OTA to be released but with PTAT, I think I may actually be able to do without OTA.. I sitll in day 0 so that remains to be seen.
3) I find it annoying that the Moca network 'bridges' to your private ethernet network and then asigns IP addresses from your private network scope to the systems. Not a big deal, but as a security engineer, I was annoyed that info wasn't published anywhere.
4) I had home run phone lines and hard wired ethernet cabling at each hopper location to that eased the pain of the install a bit.

** Nice surprise (unknown to me at least) was the Home Media feature - It picked up my playon system immediately :)

Last edited:
I've been with Dish since July 17, 2001, and I did not know they had ANY technicians, other than contractors. I have never seen the same man/woman twice for service/upgrade. Some have been bozos
like the original guy who mounted my dish, only to have it fall off it's mounting in about a month, or the one who spliced the coax when installing HD, only to have water get in the coax and burn off the center conductor. The H/J install went very well, and the tech and his trainee did a nice job.