Post your Hopper/Joey Temps.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Hot Hopper.

The right front side of my hopper is very hot. It almost burns my hand, and it smells hot. Is this normal?

Pretty much. That's where the power supply is located.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

The right front side of my hopper is very hot. It almost burns my hand, and it smells hot. Is this normal?
I have a magnetic railroad rail thermometer placed on that area. It reads 98 deg. It seems to run a little cooler since the software upgrade. I dont believe in having my electronics in enclosed cabinets. Is this how you have yours ? Heat is electronics worse enemy.

Including the High, Low and Average.

Post HLA for as many Hopper and Joeys as you have.

Hit yellow button, network setup, tests, view counters, and use the page down button to scroll until you see something like "HD Temp".

Hopper :
High: 125
Low: 46 (Hopper was brought out of a cold truck when it got installed).
Average: 109

High: 111
Low: 93
Average: 100

this is in Puerto Rico, always sunny and over 85 daily all year around with (5) 1.5" x 1.5" fans at the right side of the hoppers

Hopper:
High 120
Low 109
Avg 114

I will post my Joey's later.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

In case someone does not see it in the other thread, the Seagate Pipeline HD in the Hopper is rated 0-75 degrees C (167F). Seems like a tough 24x7 drive.

Hopper:
High 138
Low 119
Avg 123

I've been having trouble with this box and when I rewind and try to play back the picture constantly breaks up. I called this in t support even after I performed red button resets, check switch and pulling the plug the problem persists. I believe it is a heat issue. I have another hopper in my bedroom and I have not had these issues. Dish is sending me out a new box.

I unplugged the box for an hour and when I plugged it back up and it went thru its thing the problem went away. I'll see if it happens again when the box heats up.

Last edited:
Nearly burned my hand on the Joey in my bedroom that was installed this morning, so I was reading this post a little closer. Checked the stats and it shows a max of 147*. :eek:

Seems a little excessive, though clearly it isnt even the worst listed in this thread. Yet.

UPDATE: Shortly after posting, I dug out the vertical base for the Joey. Several hours later, it is MUCH cooler to the touch. Thanks to those who suggested that!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts