Post Your Upgrade Experience Here

Called 800-333-3474 @ 0816 CST
Waited on hold until 0832.

After giving the phone number on the account to verify who I am...

CSR: How can I help you?

ME: I want to upgrade my leased 942 to a ViP 622

CSR: That wouldn't be an upgrade since the 942 is a dual tuner and the 622 is only a single-tuner.

ME: That's incorrect.

CSR: Please hold while I look into this.

Holding............

CSR: I'm sorry sir, it's only a single tuner.

ME: [playing dumb]Then what is your dual tuner HD DVR utilizing MPEG4?

CSR: Please hold while I look into this.

Holding............

CSR: I'm sorry sir, you're correct, the 622 is a dual-tuner HD DVR.

ME: That's quite alright. I understand that you're probably just being made aware of these products. But I've known about them for quite some time and I know the deals that you can extend to me.

CSR: Thank you for your patience. It will be $299...(then she started explaining receiver fees, etc.)

ME: Yes, but $200 will be rebated, right?

CSR: Yes, in April.

ME: (I took that to mean that I wouldn't get the rebate until April, but now that I see some of these other posts, it seems that if I wanted that deal that I'd have to wait until April to order. Still a little fuzzy on that whole thing, but I'll pay the $299 without rebate it that's what it takes.)

Then she asked for CC info, etc.

Before giving her the CC info, I told her that I wanted the 942 to stay active until after the 622 was installed. I also told her that I wanted "everything" as far as programming. I didn't mention Platinum, etc. She assured me that that would be the case in both instances.

After giving her the CC info, she gave me an install date for tomorrow (Thurs, Feb. 2). I told her I'd prefer a Saturday and perhaps a week away. (I have lots of things on the 942 HDD that my wife and I need to watch before giving the box back). She told me that tomorrow's the only date that she can do it on. I didn't even try to ask her to explain, and just agreed.

I then made arrangements to be home tomorrow and my wife and I would have to have some marathon TV watching.

When I got in from work today, I had a message on my maching from DISH stating there were "shipping problems" and that the installer would not be able to come out tomorrow. They gave me a number for the "local office": 972-677-1981. So when I called, the lady offered an install date of Sat, Feb 25th. This was much more to my liking. She assured me that I wouldn't need to make any further arrangements.

I have noted that my CC has been charged with the $1 hold charge and $299.

I have personally know my installer for 5 years and done business with him. I went in about Jan 20th and signed up to upgrade my 501 to a 411 and my 6000 to a 622 he said no problem he would have everything and do the work Fed 8th. Today (Feb 2) he called me and told me Dish told him they did not have any 622 in stock, but they would move me to the top of the list since I had given him and Dish so much business in the past. I ask him when can I expect my 622. He answered the day after Dish ships it to him. and he smiled and said don't call me I will call you.....guess we will all see what happens and when we get the 622 he told me you can get the 211 and 411 with no problems

well...what gives

Well. I called at 9:30 AM EST this morning. After holding 5 minutes I got through to a rep who told me no problem and to hold. H eplaced me on hold, came back and said it was a $49 upgrade fee. I asked if this was for the 622, he said yes, then to hold again. He then came back and reiterated the $49 fee, I asked again if this was for the 622 and he said "no, this is for the 211, if you want a 622, you need to wait until April." I thanked him and hung up the phone. I guess it sounds like all of you had more luck calling the tech support option. I will try that when I return home tonight.

9:57 PM Called back a second time. Used the tech support option, got right through. First the rep said the Dish 1000 would be 59.99 then when I said I was upgrading to the Vip 622 I was told it was included. Then I was given an install date of Feb. 21 from 12-5 PM. Sounds just like everyone else's experience so far.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Dish. Hold time was about 15 minutes. Spoke with US CSR and asked to upgrade my 811 to 211. Said I'd have to contact my local retailer. Asked why and she stated their system doesn't specify model number???? Stated she could upgrade me for $49 but that I may get sent another 811, so I'd be better off calling a retailer to get the exact model and then call Dish back. I said I just gave you the model number. Puts me on hold and then comes back and says she'd try a workaround. Somehow she figures it out and then takes my CC number. I ask one more question before she process payment, I ask whether I'd be elible for the $200 rebate on the 622 in April. Says probably but puts me on hold to confirm with supervisor. Comes back with the expected answer, no, I have to wait until April. I decide to wait. CSR not knowledgeable but very polite.

I just called E* for the 211 upgrade. Punched the number for technical support and then selected HDTV issues. I got a great rep on the phone who knew exactly what I was asking for. She wanted to know if I wanted to add a receiver or replace one. I said replace, and she asked for the R00 number of the receiver. I gave her a 311 and she said great. I apparently do not need to give up my current 811, I get to keep it. $49 dollars later is is being shipped out to me. Unbelievably easy.

Pinchhitter said:
I just called E* for the 211 upgrade. Punched the number for technical support and then selected HDTV issues. I got a great rep on the phone who knew exactly what I was asking for. She wanted to know if I wanted to add a receiver or replace one. I said replace, and she asked for the R00 number of the receiver. I gave her a 311 and she said great. I apparently do not need to give up my current 811, I get to keep it. $49 dollars later is is being shipped out to me. Unbelievably easy.
Ditto.

bowens said:
She wanted to install this Friday but I can't so I'm getting my 211 and 61.5 dish on Monday.

I called back when I got home yesterday just to see if I could get it installed Saturday (the original CSR told me no they could not), and, after holding about 5 minutes, the CSR said that would be fine and set me up for Saturday afternoon. I think I ticked my wife off though. She was planning on going shopping. Now she's got to stay home, because I'll be at work. I told her she should be happy. She's a big Florida Gator fan and they're playing Kentucky on ESPN2HD Saturday night. So see, I did it just for her. She didn't buy it.

I take it ALL BACK!!

:mad:
Killswitchengage said:
called this morning at 7:15 A.M. eastern time, got a csr at 7:30, upgraded from 811 to 211 or 411 (explained tha she couldn't guarantee that I would get a 211 but 411 is pretty much the same)

Sounds like I'm getting a 411. Although I think I got hosed with the $6 dollar upgrade HD fee because I allready have the hd and voom package. But I will rectify this later.

Went through the whole agreement recording, total time on the phone, about 20-25 minutes. Not nearly as long as I thought it would be.

So I call this morning, to see when my new 211 or 411 might arrive. The CSR told me that she did not know what I was talking about. WHAT?! SHe looks up my info and tells me that heyu are sending me an EMPTY box to send my 811 back, but that there is no record of an upgrade to a 211. I tell her that thios is totally ridiculous. Why the he** would I send

She also tells me that I would need a dish 1000 pointed at 129 to get the new HD channels. I tell her that the new signal is mirrored on 61, that I was told I did not have to worry about tit and all I would need is the new box. Again, no comment.

I ask to speak to someone in charge, she says' hold on, then CLICK! I'm going to assume that we got disconnected and that she didn;t hang up on me.

I call back, get a guy who at least sounds like he somewhat knows what is going on. He tells me "oh, someone made a mistake. were sending you a new standard receiver" WHAT THE F**K?!?!?!

He tells me that I have to wait til i receive the standard receiver, immediately send it back, once received then they can take another order for a new 211. ARGH!!! He then says, look, call back tomorrow, we'll tkae care of this.

SOOOOOOO, Guess I'll have more to write tomorrw, but as of right now DISH is def on my list.

Called in today, went right to tech support. Asked them first if I upgrade to a metallic pack, will my 6000 lose HD. She told me that its hit or miss right now, some MPEG2 recievers are losing old HD authorizations, some arent, and they dont know why.

So I took the chance. Got the Platinum pack, so when I get home, my 411 should happily see it all, 6000 is a crap shoot.

I also asked her about where Chicago HD's might be. She confirmed that they are testing on 129, but hinted that they may move to 61.5, nobody really knows. She gave as evidence that LA went to 129 and not 148. Who knows, I dont. She did say "SOON" though.

It was a pleasant experience overall, helped by the fact that she was in the US and spoke english as her native language. Of course I cant see whats happening on my 411 or 6000 right now, so I might get home with nothing too! :D

HD newbie upgrade order done OK

I am happy to say (at least for now) things went well getting my HD order in. I am scheduled for a 2/11 install of the 211 (easy day to remember !).

I went to tech support as I started with questions about the dishtype and that I had a 322 and wanted a 222 to replace knowing they weren't avail) They knew about the 222 and its debut delay. We worked a deal that I get a 211 which would be hooked up to my DLP front projector, and leave the 322 hooked up the way it is. They were very pleasant and honored a previous "deal" they promised me back in Oct. (I checked in occasionally to see that my acct history in their system was correct).. and I had kept the info, (agent name and a 3 digit code number )
I am supposed to get free install of a dish 1000 replacing the 500, and a 211. The tech rep was very pleasant with a good sense of humor and knew her stuff. I had to be transferred to someone in a higher level over the CSR's, to finialize the "special deal" Again another pleasant person. So I will have the 322 and the 211 ($6/mo lease)and OTA local HD and regular locals. I can pick std local tv up with a piece of wire. Hopefully I will do ok with a Radio Shack or better HD antenna. I am happy I can have just one dish as its less clutter. :up

Last edited:
I just tried to upgrade(going through tech support). The csr was real polite and told me the upgrade to the 622 was 299. As she was about to confirm it she said that there was a 200 rebate on getting the 622, but I would have to wait till April 1st. So is this real. All I've read here says that it is not and that 299 will still be the price later. But she was very insistent. However, I realize people can be very emphatic on the wrong info. I have an 811 and i thought the 200 was only on the 942.
Patrick

3rd round

Killswitchengage said:
:mad:

So I call this morning, to see when my new 211 or 411 might arrive. The CSR told me that she did not know what I was talking about. WHAT?! SHe looks up my info and tells me that heyu are sending me an EMPTY box to send my 811 back, but that there is no record of an upgrade to a 211. I tell her that thios is totally ridiculous. Why the he** would I send

She also tells me that I would need a dish 1000 pointed at 129 to get the new HD channels. I tell her that the new signal is mirrored on 61, that I was told I did not have to worry about tit and all I would need is the new box. Again, no comment.

I ask to speak to someone in charge, she says' hold on, then CLICK! I'm going to assume that we got disconnected and that she didn;t hang up on me.

I call back, get a guy who at least sounds like he somewhat knows what is going on. He tells me "oh, someone made a mistake. were sending you a new standard receiver" WHAT THE F**K?!?!?!

He tells me that I have to wait til i receive the standard receiver, immediately send it back, once received then they can take another order for a new 211. ARGH!!! He then says, look, call back tomorrow, we'll tkae care of this.

SOOOOOOO, Guess I'll have more to write tomorrw, but as of right now DISH is def on my list.

3rd round, but I decided to try again. FINALLY all seems right with the world (for now) I got through to a decent rep, who still told nme I needed the dish 1000. I was told that it would in fact replace one or both of the existing dishes I have so It won't look like NASA central on top off my townhouse.

I WENT AHEAD AND EXHAUSTEDLY SAID "OK'. SO I have an install date of this upcoming Tuesday, with a 211. WISH ME LUCK!!

To be continued,,,,

Well, I finally took the plunge and called to upgrade my 811 for a 211. CSR was curtious and nice and seemed to know what she was doing. I got the $ 49 upgrade. They are sending it UPS, and they said it should be 7-10 days. I wish Dish would give out tracking numbers so we could see exactly when the package will arrive. I hope they send me a 211. I will worry whether they will send me the correct receiver (211) until I am holidng it in my hands.

Also, I am waiting to upgrade from AT120 to Dish HD Silver until after the box is activated. I do not want to mess up what I have right now.

211 install

Received call this at 9:15am from local E* rep who quetioned why I purchased an upgraded to 211... :confused: Told him I wanted all of E* new programming. He asked why I didn't go with the 942 :confused: .... aahhhh because I want the 211. Hello?? The rep didn't have a clue about the 622, so I educated him on this website and he thanked me. Well, he told that he had bad news and wouldn't be able to install my receiver as scheduled. I almost passed-out! He then said, "I can be at your house at 10am if you like." :D :up :hungry:

Last edited:
it kinda went like this. called dish(6 pm yesterday) hoping for a 622. phone was quiet for 45 min. while on hold i was where else browsing sat guys hoping for the latest. this thread kept me company. so i hung up but remembered something about tech support. called that extension and i was soon speaking with a real person that had an eloquent english speaking voice which i find quite soothing. she said she would mail(or whatever) me the receiver and the tech would be out on sat feb 25. would have been a few days sooner but i work and wanted to be here. so she charged the $299.99 and i guess it is all about the wait.

Yesterday morning I called my local Dish dealer-Dan's Satellites (legendary service since 1988!), asked how much for a new 411? Said costs $399. Told them to hold it for me. Called Dish CSR and asked about an upgrade for my 811 to a 411--they said would be $49 and then whatever the lease stuff is under the promo of Dishin' it up When the 622 comes of age in April with the rebate stuff, I can further upgrade. Told them I wanted my local dealer to do the deed and I wanted it today because I was missing WorldSport HD-the ultimate arena. CSR said ask Dan if he would write the order and then go out and install it.

Called Dan back and told them to write an order for Dishin' it up, gave my CC info for $49, and told them I would be by at lunch time to pickup and self install my leased 411. Was watching WorldSport within an hour after I got home and did the install. Anyone want to buy a 6 month old 811?

timfouts said:
Called Dan back and told them to write an order for Dishin' it up, gave my CC info for $49, and told them I would be by at lunch time to pickup and self install my leased 411. Was watching WorldSport within an hour after I got home and did the install. Anyone want to buy a 6 month old 811?
I would have done that in a heartbeat. But, my original installer here only does NEW installs. They effectively told me to pound sand, and call Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts