Post Your Upgrade Experience Here

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Called at 6AM and was done by 6:46 instaling on Feb 12 but my reciever will be here before then so I'll just hook it up and when the installer calls to confirm I'll tell him I don't need him

I hope that works anyway!!

Called Dish at 8:30 CST. The phone was answered within seconds. No hold wait at all. Insead of going thru the normal CSR link I followed the menue for HD tech support. The call went to Texas. The 622 will be installed 24 Feb. I did have to give the CC number for the $299.00 upgrade fee. Also I committed to the new MPEG4 channels. Dish tech will install and remove to 811. No mention of a Dish 1000. I do have a dish pointed at 61.5.

Called normal customer service (0800 CST) on hold for excess of 20 minutes. Hung up called tech support (0845) and completed upgrade in 5 minutes. Going from 811 to VIP622 with quoted install date of 13 Feb 06. Experience so far OK. Time will tell

Called at 8:30EST

HD Tech answered .. no hold.

Upgrade to 622

Took CC for $299 charge, $1 hold charge until install

Chose DishLatino Platinum, explains 18mo commit, blah, blah, blah.

She could not get the system to accept..

Finally system accepted, I have install date.....Cell phone disconnected.

Call back - 30 second hold - Install was put in and is scheduled for 2/21.

Called at 9AM ET. Got a VERY nice CSR who was trying hard to get up to speed on the new packages. Started by saying I have an 811 and 4900 and wanted to figure out the best way to upgrade to a 622 and 211, replacing both receivers.

Very quickly was told I can't upgrade both at the same time. No surprise. Went through all the different options of how much it would cost to upgrade the 4900 to either a 622 or 211. Here's what I walked away with.

- said 622 was available now
- scheduled install for 2/22 and installer would bring receiver with him
- asked for my SSN to do a credit check (thought this was odd)
- cost $299
- leased receiver with $6 monthly lease fee
- 18 month commitment
- at first said both outputs on 622 would be HD but corrected herself later
- said I would be given a box with a shipping label to return the 4900

I guess that's about it. Let's see if I actually get one on 2/22. And in the mean time, I'll consider either buying a 211 outright or waiting a month or so to see if they'll let me 'upgrade' my 811.

Called Exec office and was told I cant upgrade my leased 942 until april first. He said they dont even have enough inventory yet. He put me on a list so he would call me personally on April 1st. to setup ship date. They guy was really nice at least!

I called at 6:25AM and was finished by 7:05AM.
Ordered 622 in place of my 508 for $299 + $49 install (required).
Switched to Gold HD Package from old Americas Top 180 + HD. New monthly price is $77.98 + tax. 18 Month commitment.
Install scheduled for Sunday Feb 12th noon to 5... 622 is being shipped to me.

* Said I could only upgrade one box so I left my 811 alone. May call back later today to see if I can get a non DVR box to replace that with.

Oh yeah... Long hold, over 15 minutes.

First Post. I've been watching on the sidelines for several months.
I was expecting a nightmare because of volume of calls to E*. Here's how it went:
Called 3:51 am pst. Would have been nice if there was an option for receiver or system upgrade. Chose option 4 for "moving" etc.
Reply was "Wait time is longer than 15 minutes". Decided to bite the bullet and wait how ever long.
CSR came on at 4:21 am (30 min. wait)
Verified my customer info, agreed to an 18 mth. contract extension, and proceeded to drop down the $299.99. All went well. CSR was very gracious and professional. (I was expecting much worse but I was also prepared to be patient and understanding.)
Upgrade is from an 811 to the 622. My programming is already Platinum with both the HD and Voom packages.
The install date is long, Feb.25, but I am in a large Metropolitan market here in Southern California.
Rating: A-

Thanks DISH. Looking forward to the new programming!! :)

Last edited:
Called at 9:30 ET, was told on hold time would be greater than 15 minutes. I was only on hold for 10 minutes.

Told the CSR I wanted to change programming to DishHD Gold. He then said I couldn't do both 811's, I said ok I only want to do 1 now. He quoted me the $49 upgrade fee, I said ok. Told me they would ship it out to me, I would get it in 7 to 10 days.

I am upset that my lease fee is going to 6 bucks a month, the receiver I'm swapping is my orignial and is currently included in my package. But it's done now.

Called at 10:00am. On hold for 15 minutes. Looking to lease a 622, which will replace one of my owned 5xx receivers. I'll deactivate and possibly sell it.
I want to keep my leased 942 for now. No problem there.
Tried to get install date info , before I provide my CC info. No luck.
Thanked him and stated I'll call back later, after doing further "research"

New HD upgrade

First post, but thought this was worth posting.

I have 2 811's and 2 311's

I am on hold for about 30-45 minutes when the CSR answers. He wants me to pay $299 for the Mpeg4 DVR reciever, giving up both of my 811's. My house is not set up for this; I want to trade 1 811 for a ViP211 for $49 and he tells me that he cannot guarantee that a 211 would be sent out...that I may open the box and it be another 811!

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Of course he was quick to repeat that the DVR box would be recieved exactly as described. All I had to do was pluck down a quick $299 and send back both 811's.

called this morning at 6:50 am pacific. On hold for about 15 minutes.

Wanted a 622 to replace my 322 as I have a 522 already. Rep told me that it would be 299.99 fee up front and that he needed credit card. He mentioned that if I waited until 4/1 that I could get a 200 rebate. I had to explain that this was only if I had existing HD equipment, he then back-peddaled to the 299.99 fee. I now have an install date for the 13th as I am out of town on the 11-12th.

Thanks to satelliteguys I knew more about the upgrade process and promotion than the reps(although based on what I have read that is not uncommon).

Only wished that I could have had the equipment shipped directly to me. Oh well, less than 2 weeks to go anyways.

Just got off the phone with DISH.

The CS person was really nice. I told here I'm calling to upgrade to the 211 Mpeg4 receiver for $49 dollars. She says hold one second while check the computer. Comes back, and yes no problem you can upgrade for $49 dollars with paying upfront with a CC.

Then I tell her I have a superdish, and require a dish at 61.5 (Florida here). She says hold again please let me make sure the dish is free with the upgrade. Took a few minutes. Then she returns, and says yes, the Dish is free with this upgrade promotion.

So then she checks the install dates.. They have Thursday & Friday at 12pm-5pm open, but I have to work from 2pm so couldn't get it done. Then she says we have Sunday open from 8am to 12pm. I said book me for Sunday.

Finally, She gives me the RMA number for my 811 for shipping back, and informs me that you will get the 211 via UPS next week.

Before I hang up, I ask her if I can upgrade my 6000 she said you cannot upgrade it right now. As only one HD receiver is allowed. I didn't really care as I only have one HD TV right now.

Call took about twenty minutes, with no problems.. (Thank You Dish)!!

Last edited:
2 calls now, both got me to the very end(with different price quotes) and couldn't finish the order because the system was down. on the second call I asked if the system was down and she said not as far as she knew. but when we got to that last step on her computer, she said "UH OH!!! I'm sorry we cannot process at this time because the system is down". I'm gonna wait a few days......

Called and waited 15 minutes. Spoke with a nice CSR who sounded like she had just woken up. Since I owned my equipment, the only way I could get a 622 was to add it. Paid $299 and my install date is Monday.

Called Dish @ 7 AM CST, the entire process took around 45 miniutes. I went with the 811 to 622 upgrade. $299.99, with 18 month contract. Installed date was set for 02/24/2006. Upgrade progamming to DishHD Latino Platinum. I was on hold quite a awhile, finallyl the CSR required help from the IT department. The CSR was very polite with the whole process and was very knowledgeable with the upgrade. No suttering or BS lines.

However, due to systems issues, the CSR told me that he would call me back to complete the work order.

Overall am satisfied with the entire process, even tough I was late for work.

Called 7:55 AZ time (MST) Completed call at 8:25.
CSR was somewhat nice but not warm and fuzzy.

I currently have a 522 and a 311 with a two room setup.
I have a 500 Dish

They required that I do an install. The install date was for 2/11 (I lucked out!!)
They did not quote me any price for the install hmm?

I could not get a strait answer if I would get charged for the new package right now or when my receiver gets installed.

$299 for the 622 with an 18 month contract. if I cancel there will be a 240 early cancellation fee. This fee will prorated by 13 dollars for every month I am in the lease. They require that I get a Dish 1000, no charge was quoted for that.

$5 dollar CC processing fee but it was waved.

I got the gold package which will include the base price at 69.99, DRV lease fee of 6.00 and a DRV access fee of 5.00 a month. I asked her if getting the platinum package would wave any of these fees and she said that it would only wave the DVR access fee. Is anyone else getting this lease fee too?

All in all it wasn't a bad experience but it could have been better.

Grade B-

Very positive experience. 10:10 AM: went through tech was switched to Dish HD rep. Ordered 622, credit card, install date of Feb. 22. Checked that I will receive all HD channels that Dish offers, including all NY locals & Superstations WB & UPN, as well as ones I had been receiving in Mpeg2. Sympathized with the rep for this hectic day; he took a deep breath and thanked me. All over at 10:30.

9.00 am cst Well I called in... got through to advanced tech support within 2 min :)....
I explained everything to the first csr who put me on hold.. after coming off of hold she said all we have available are single tuner models. I told her she was wrong that there was a dishing it up promo for 299 for the 622. Then she hung up on me

Called in again

Got through to advanced tech support.. this time i got through quick...
told the lady that I wanted to swap out my 942 for a 622... long wait as she pulls up my account.. Very quiet.. I had to ask if she was there to know if she was still on the line.. I talked to her and asked for a swapout... after determining that I'm swapping out my 942 for the 622.. she took my credit card number for the 299.... ordered the hd plat. package..

so far its been about 30 min and going and she still hasn't added the package....

OK finally got it added.. took the major cross roads, gave me an install date of February 10Th. 2006.. gave me the Ra number for my receiver..

I asked sense I was Ra ing the receiver if i would get the 200 dollar rebate in april... checking on it.. puts me on hold... and the answer is no...

finished up the call... (now on the line with the executive office :D)

Last edited:
Even with Lifetime returning to the Dish Network lineup I'm still on the fence regarding the Big Upgrade: purchase, lease, leave. Anyway, I placed a call into Tech Support while on speakerphone and thought I'd make a decision based on how well the call went. I called at 8am and the phone call lasted an hour, but the time I spent talking to the CSR was less than 10 minutes...big computer problems.

Me: I would like to add a 622 on my account in addition to the 942 I current lease, can I do that.
Tech: Yes you can...for $299
Me: Ok, let's do that.
Tech: Computer problems, please hold...
Hold: .................................
Tech: Sir, the program is for an upgrade only...sorry about that.
Me: Ok, can I upgrade an 811 to the 622?
Tech: Let me check with my supervisor.
Tech: Sir, yes you can...wait...please hold.
Tech: Sir, you can only upgrade your 811 to the 411.
Me: Hmmm. Are you sure?
Tech: Wait, you don't need installation so you can upgrade a 811 to a 622.
Me: Ok, let's do that.
Tech: Sir, wait...the system says single tuner HD DVR, but when I scroll down it says dual-tuner DVR...let me check with my supervisor.
Tech: Sir, let me apologies...we were trained on this system, but the computers are totally screwed up. The reason it says single tuner is because it is replacing a single tuner system.
Me: Ok, I'm ready to place my order (gave him my credit card number). I just wanted to verify that I could upgrade my 942 after 12 months and that an installer is required to come out and bring the 622.
Tech: Yes sir! Wait...the computer just popped up with a HD Enabling fee.
Me: What is that...I'm upgrading the a DishHD package.
Tech: I don't know...let' me check with a supervisor.
Tech: Sir, I apologize. Something completely off the wall popped up on my computer screen, please hold.
Tech: Sir, there is a glitch with ordering DishHD programming. It currently says you have AT180 and NBA and it cannot let me add the programming package. It gives me an inconsistency bundling error.
Me: Ok, until the Lifetime issue I had AEP...I now have AT60 with Showtime. Why does the system say I have AT180 with NBA - I'm lost?
Tech: Sir, let me place you on hold.
Tech: Sir, I talked with my supervisor and I cannot commplete this order. It will have to go to ERT and they should be in within 5 minutes. Let me place you back on hold. I am very sorry for the problems.
Tech: Sir, my supervisor has a workaround to this problem and he can complete the order without ERT getting involved. Let me place you on hold while he schedules an installation date. Oh, I need to go over some disclosures with you: $400 fee if you fail to return the receiver; $49.99 fee if you cancel the order and return the receiver to us.
Me: Ok, so I would be charged $49.99 post installation should the receiver not live up to my expectations?
Tech: That's correct.
Me: Ok, that's fine.
Tech: Let me place you back on hold.
Tech: Ok sir, due to demand the earliest install date is 21 Feb...can I set you up with an installation date from 1-5pm?
Me: Sure
Tech: (goes over some installation information). Also, I have a few more disclaimers for you: there will be a $240 fee, prorated at $13.33 per month, should you cancel service prior to your 18 month service committment. There will be $5.98 DVR fee (blah, blah, blah). There will be a $6 HD Enabling Fee waived with (yada, yada, yada). There will be a $49.99 fee should you cancel at or before installation.
Me: Wait, earlier you told me the $49.99 fee would be charged post installation should I return the receiver (i.e. the receiver sucks and I don't want it).
Tech: Ahhh...that's correct, but let me check with my supervisor - one second please.
Tech: Ok, the $49.99 fee covers shipping your receiver to the installer and other fees involved with processing your order. It will be charged if you cancel your order at anytime at or before installation.
Me: Hmmmm. You previously mentioned the $49.99 would be charged at or after installation...now you're telling me it will be charged at or before installation. Which one is it? Ok, so you're telling me that oh, lets say a week goes by and I'm read that the 622 receiver is the worlds biggest piece of garbage. You're telling me that I will be charged $49.99 fee should I cancel my installation two weeks prior to my install date?
Tech: Let me ask my supervisor.
Tech: Sir, that's correct...you woudl be charged that fee.
Me: Ok, I'm not getting a warm & fuzzy feeling about this receiver and there are too many problems with the ordering process. At this point I would like to terminate this ordering process.
Tech: Ummm...so you want to cancel?
Me: No. To cancel an order implies that I ordered the receiver and would then be subject to the $49.99 fee. Just undo what you've been doing.
Tech: Ok, let me remove this from your account. (big sigh!)
Me: Sorry about that, but this ordering process doesn't give me a good feeling about the receiver nor the DishHD product. I'll just wait and read the reviews at this point.
Tech: I don't blame you...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)