Posting to outdated threads

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Scott,
As a couple of people have mentioned, old and often outdated posts seem to get resurrected, and sometimes with a post that is not even relevant to the subject.
Is it possible to add what I see some other sites have, a warning when a thread is X amount of months/years old that you are about to post to an old/outdated thread? There are times when bringing up an old thread it the correct thing to do so I'm not advocating not allowing posts to them.

They appear to be real posts, look like they are just coming in by searching for something and then landing in old topics.

I have on occasion posted something new in a old thread, as long as it was relevant. No since in creating a new thread on the same subject.

but the issue is how relevant is it?

example was the other day someone brought up a thread about AT120 or AT120+. The pricing in the thread was outdated and before I had a chance to move the thread to a new topic folks already responded with the pricing change or corrections form old threads.

Is it possible to add what I see some other sites have, a warning when a thread is X amount of months/years old that you are about to post to an old/outdated thread?
You're leaving it up to that user to determine if it's "proper". First mistake..... IMO, if they found what they think is a relevant thread and have clicked the "Reply to Thread" button, they're going to even if they're warned about the age of the thread.

Believe it or not, and I can't recall if it was here or elsewhere, I've seen MANY (new) users explain that the reason they replied to an old thread was quite simple ..... they didn't know how to create a new thread / post !

but the issue is how relevant is it?
example was the other day someone brought up a thread about AT120 or AT120+. The pricing in the thread was outdated and before I had a chance to move the thread to a new topic folks already responded with the pricing change or corrections form old threads.
I can't speak for others, but mine are relevant to what ever the discussion was, or is. If there is an issue with a new post in an old thread we have very competent staff to correct things. :D Then again if it is the consensus of staff to close all old threads by some automated predetermined expiration date, can we not reference the old thread by using a link to it if need be? 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other.......;)

Last edited:
I personally don't see the issue. If no interest I just move on. Everybody is new once & you can't hold that against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)