Power inserter needed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It won’t work without a power inserter.
Oh really? Then why is he getting signal strength numbers? Don't say it's because he doesn't have a swm lnb, he does. He identified it by the model number.

I think its working because its not a SWM ONLY recvr.
Its getting the 18v from the H23, just enough to power it.

If it was a Genie, it would not be working at all.

I think its working because its not a SWM ONLY recvr.
Its getting the 18v from the H23, just enough to power it.

If it was a Genie, it would not be working at all.
An HR54 and an H44 have built in power inserters. Do the other Genies put out any voltage? Maybe not since they require a power inserter.

It won’t work without a power inserter.

Of course it will. How do you think a receiver in SWM mode powers a DECA? Whether it outputs enough to power an LNB is probably up to luck that depends on the particular model, coax length, etc. since they weren't designed for this.

It would be more likely to work with a newer 13 or 21 tuner LNB, since the older 8 tuner analog SWM is pretty power hungry by comparison.

When the receiver is in SWM mode it does not send power to the lnb, unless it’s an HR54, or Genie2

Any receiver compatible with a DECA outputs power in SWM mode, otherwise the DECA would not work. Did you think they are powered by hopes and dreams?

I have had directv continuously since 1994, Has anyone had both DISH and DIRECTV experiences? I don't have any intentions of changing from directv, but just curious about the likes and dislikes of each.

Hey Guys,

I got great signals on 101*, like 95-98 and even a 100, my 99* and 103* are up in the 90's...at least a 20 point gain!
That's with the addition of the power inserter?

I added the power inserter and still had to do an alignment on the dish, thank everyone for your responses.
I'd say it was the alignment that upped your numbers and not the addition of the power inserter. I'd also say that adding the power inserter saved the power supply in the H23.

Running witout a PI is so uncertain I would not recommend it to anyone. I think DirecTV's spec is a reasonable requirement.
Has anyone ever measured the voltage on the coax from a receiver operating in SWM mode?

I added the power inserter (PI) as recommended and it really had little to no effect on the signal readings, the real difference came from aligning the dish, I was glad to add the PI as it is required for the SWM and doesn't stress the power supply inside the H23 and won't get unpredictable results at least from improper configuration of the hardware.

John

Reactions: raoul5788
I was thinking when I was out aligning the dish, (which is about 100' from the house) how glad I was that I for once had the forethought to add a receptacle to the post that the dish is mounted; I was thinking perhaps someday I would need to add a dish heating pad, but it came in handy for powering my meter with a dead battery guess I could always run and extension cord but extension cords take extra time to wind up etc. and look messy lying on the ground if they are there for awhile....sorry just blabbering.

John

Reactions: raoul5788
Status
Please reply by conversation.