Powering a VIP211k with an inverter

SGSEDILO

Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles
I installed a KVH receiver with a VIP211k on my boat. It worked for weeks with shore power. I then installed a Cobra CPI 1575, (1,500 watt) inverter to power the television and 211k when away from shore. The TV works fine, but the green light on the 211k turns on for 10 seconds then goes out. I can press the power button for a few seconds to reset it and then the same thing happens. I do not get any signal to the TV. The 211k does not work on shore power now, either.

Has anyone else used the VIP211k with an inverter? Will this unit only work with a perfect sine wave?

Hmm...used to use a 301 on a modified sine wave inverter without a problem. Can't comment on the 211k, but if it indeed won't work, they must have changed their power supplies.

even if you get the power thing figured out, what about waves? it's hard enough to get a good signal on land. or do you have a tracking system?

Here's what Amazon/Cobra say about the output waveform:

Some very sensitive electronic equipment might not operate satisfactorily on "square wave" or "modified sine wave" power. The output waveform of the Cobra Inverter is a "square wave" or "modified sine wave." It is a stepped waveform designed to have characteristics similar to the sine wave shape of utility power. A waveform of this nature is suitable for most AC loads, including linear and switching power suppliers used in electronic equipment, transformers, and motors.

Frankly I'm surprised the OP had any trouble. I suspect his particular Cobra is defective and some of the "steps" are missing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)