PPV and phone line

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rugbyqueen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Houston, TX
We're new subscribers to D* as of about ten days ago. We have two HD DVRs - I think they're HR-24 (?). They are not connected to a phone line, and as far as I know they're not connected to an internet connection either.

We want to record some of the Rugby World Cup matches, which are PPV. I didn't think it would work because we're not connected to a phone line, but I selected the match and clicked through to OK buying it as PPV and also to record it. It is now showing up with a $ sign next to it in the Guide and also listed under Purchases, as well as showing up to record.

However, if I log on to my account, it doesn't show up as a Pending Order or anything, although I'm not sure where PPV purchases are listed. Also, if I go to the Rugby section, it asks me if I want to purchase the match on PPV, so it doesn't seem to know I've purchased it via the TV.

So, have I bought it or not? Will it record? Since it's being held in New Zealand, they're airing live in the middle of the night and I won't be awake to know if it's recording properly or not.

Can someone clarify if I I have to have a phone connection to the DVR to order PPV via the TV?

Thanks.

You need either a phone connection or an internet connection for the PPVs to show up in your online account.
They will only show up after you've watched them. I believe even with a connection you can still watch PPVs, but eventually the access card will be full and the system won't allow more PPVs to be ordered.

You really shoudld look into getting those two DVRs connected to the internet and to each other (Whole Home). Call DirecTV and ask for the MRV installation.

you can call on go to DirecTV online and order with no internet or phone connection. you will be billed correctly and can watch then on ALL receivers in the home.

You need either a phone connection or an internet connection for the PPVs to show up in your online account.
They will only show up after you've watched them. I believe even with a connection you can still watch PPVs, but eventually the access card will be full and the system won't allow more PPVs to be ordered.

You really shoudld look into getting those two DVRs connected to the internet and to each other (Whole Home). Call DirecTV and ask for the MRV installation.

According to my account, I've got Whole Home DVR. Does that mean it's connected to the internet? My internet is still with Uverse, which is what we had before we switched to DirecTV. I don't think there's an internet connection where the cable comes in for the satellite. Is it somehow connected outside of the house?

No Whole Home DVR isn't the same thing at all. You would need a Cinema Connection Kit for that and actually that should have been installed when you were set up.

you can call on go to DirecTV online and order with no internet or phone connection. you will be billed correctly and can watch then on ALL receivers in the home.

Yes....it is always best to order any PPV via your online account as this allows viewing on ALL receivers. If you order via remote control, you can only watch the PPV on that specific receiver.

According to my account, I've got Whole Home DVR. Does that mean it's connected to the internet? My internet is still with Uverse, which is what we had before we switched to DirecTV. I don't think there's an internet connection where the cable comes in for the satellite. Is it somehow connected outside of the house?

Go to menu & hit Parental Fav's & Setup,then hit System Setup. Now hit Info & Test. The test will let you know if your system is working,& it will also let you know if you are hooked up to the internet. The HR24's will be hooked up to the internet through your coaxial cable,no ethernet cables are needed. You need a Cinema Connection kit hooked up to your router(this will be the only thing from DIRECTV hooked up through ethernet cable). That way the internet will run from the kit through your coaxial cable to your DVR boxes. The Info & Test will let you know what you don't have,but if you don't have the Cinema Connection Kit,you don't have internet. Call DIRECTV & let them know that you don't have it,& have them come out to hook it up. You can use ethernet cables with your DVR boxes until then.
As far as ordering PPV goes,you should go with what Charper1 & bbixler said.

No Whole Home DVR isn't the same thing at all. You would need a Cinema Connection Kit for that and actually that should have been installed when you were set up.
So I should call them to get the Cinema Connection Kit? Is that something that should have come with Whole Home DVR, or is that something extra?

Go to menu & hit Parental Fav's & Setup,then hit System Setup. Now hit Info & Test. The test will let you know if your system is working,& it will also let you know if you are hooked up to the internet. The HR24's will be hooked up to the internet through your coaxial cable,no ethernet cables are needed. You need a Cinema Connection kit hooked up to your router(this will be the only thing from DIRECTV hooked up through ethernet cable). That way the internet will run from the kit through your coaxial cable to your DVR boxes. The Info & Test will let you know what you don't have,but if you don't have the Cinema Connection Kit,you don't have internet. Call DIRECTV & let them know that you don't have it,& have them come out to hook it up. You can use ethernet cables with your DVR boxes until then.
As far as ordering PPV goes,you should go with what Charper1 & bbixler said.

Thanks. I did the test and it said "Cannot Detect Phne Dial Tone for PPV and Caller ID" and that I'm not connected to a phone line. I went to the "More Info" section and it also says I'm Not Connected to the internet. So I guess that answers that. Thanks for the info on how to test.

What is the Cinema Connection Kit and why would I want it? Sounds like On Demand movies or something? Is there a charge for it since apparently I have Whole Home DVR?

Thanks. I did the test and it said "Cannot Detect Phne Dial Tone for PPV and Caller ID" and that I'm not connected to a phone line. I went to the "More Info" section and it also says I'm Not Connected to the internet. So I guess that answers that. Thanks for the info on how to test.

What is the Cinema Connection Kit and why would I want it? Sounds like On Demand movies or something? Is there a charge for it since apparently I have Whole Home DVR?
Thats pretty much what it is. There is no monthly reoccurring charge for the service, but there could be an additional installation charge. You might be able to get them to install it since you are a new sub and claim that it was suppose to be installed with the service.

Thats pretty much what it is. There is no monthly reoccurring charge for the service, but there could be an additional installation charge. You might be able to get them to install it since you are a new sub and claim that it was suppose to be installed with the service.
Can you order movies online without it? Is it just so that you can use your remote or something?

I forgot to say thanks to everyone for the suggestions of ordering PPV online. I did that and it showed up on both DVRs, so thanks. We'll do that for the PPV rugby matches we want to watch.

Can you order movies online without it? Is it just so that you can use your remote or something?

I forgot to say thanks to everyone for the suggestions of ordering PPV online. I did that and it showed up on both DVRs, so thanks. We'll do that for the PPV rugby matches we want to watch.

Yes, you can order movies online without it. It's really used for On Demand. You should probably be able to get it installed for free because it really should've been hooked up when they hooked up your Whole Home Service. It's a simple hook up and could've easily been done at the same time. If you have 1 main tv/receiver that you use you can also purchase a Linksys Wireless-N Bridge with Dual-Band WET610N Bridge and hook that up wirelessly to your router. That is what I use for my on demand features on my main tv/receiver.

As previous poster stated, its for On Demand movies, not so much for PPV. Regardless if you do hook up to your phone line (which i actually discourage due to surges in the phone line) or internet, always order PPV online as both receivers can see it.
I don't know what On Demand entails and the quality of the selection, but if there is no charge to see older movies, its not a bad thing to have.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)