PPV issues on free downloads expiring immediately

tanman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
First of all I've got an H3 on Spectrum internet.
I searched this forum for answers and found 2 posters with similar issues.No one had an answer so I'm guessing I won 't get an answer either.Person at loyalty who helped with bill was baffled (not surprised).
Here goes-By the time I realized season 2of Dark Winds had started episode 1 had already played.So I decided to do the PPV thing(since it was free) and download episode 1.The screen told me it was being down loaded
and even gave me the speed.But when I went to watch it the screen said it was expired!
So I tried a different AMC show-"Black Snow".Same exact problem-expired.
I switched tactics.Decided to try an episode of "Fire Country"(CBS).Other than immediately playing when I selected "watch later" rather than "watch now" it played fine.
So i'm hoping for a couple of things.
1)An official Dish expert will weigh inIf 3 of us have gone to the trouble of posting we are the tip of an iceberg.
2)One or more of you with a H3 will try watching S02E01 of Dark Winds via PPV just to keep the variables small.Obviously you don't have to watch the whole thing-just see if you can start.
I've attached 2 pics showing issue.
Thanks in advance-Tyler
20230809_152928.jpg
20230809_152956.jpg

AMC+'s VOD library isn't usually available for PPV purchases, it requires a subscription to the AMC+ Add-on.

Unless DISH has a different definition of PPV compared to other providers, that free PPV loyalty offer likely only applies to the movies you can find on DISH Cinema, and not selections from TV channels and SVOD services.

AMC+'s VOD library isn't usually available for PPV purchases, it requires a subscription to the AMC+ Add-on.
I can certainly accept that-makes sense.However there should be some signage indicating that plus I should be unable to waste my time down loading it.
While I got you do you have any idea why the AMC app on my Roku(which is tied to Dish-the app that is) doesn't work?It used to until the Hack.Since then when I select it it loads for a second then kicks me out.
I deleted and reinstalled with no luck.Same issue on a firestick.Thanks

Reactions: charlesrshell
To further muddle things I used my desktop computer to go to AMC.com.It had "DISH" in the upper right hand corner.I could play both "Dark Winds" and "Black Snow".BTW I do not have an AMC+ subscription.
Somewhere out there behind several layers of gatekeepers is the person who knows the answer and they're not talking.
Because the answer is"we know the issue but we are not spending the time and money to fix it".

I can certainly accept that-makes sense.However there should be some signage indicating that plus I should be unable to waste my time down loading it.
While I got you do you have any idea why the AMC app on my Roku(which is tied to Dish-the app that is) doesn't work?It used to until the Hack.Since then when I select it it loads for a second then kicks me out.
I deleted and reinstalled with no luck.Same issue on a firestick.Thanks
I just brought up the AMC app, not AMC+, on my Roku and loaded in Dark Winds. I went to season 1 and then episode 2. I went to episode 2 because you didn't need the DISH credential for episode 1. It played absolutely perfectly. I am unsure what your issue might be but it works for me.

I just brought up the AMC app, not AMC+, on my Roku and loaded in Dark Winds. I went to season 1 and then episode 2. I went to episode 2 because you didn't need the DISH credential for episode 1. It played absolutely perfectly. I am unsure what your issue might be but it works for me.
Looking further on the intrawebs I notice many people have the same issue with both the AMC and AMC+ plus app where it keeps kicking them out.I'm guessing that somehow that ties back into the Dish PPV problem.Why it only affects some people is one of those problems buried in a piece of code somewhere I would guess.

Looking further on the intrawebs I notice many people have the same issue with both the AMC and AMC+ plus app where it keeps kicking them out.I'm guessing that somehow that ties back into the Dish PPV problem.Why it only affects some people is one of those problems buried in a piece of code somewhere I would guess.
You might try this: Login to mydish.com. Go to My Account. Go to My Equipment. Go down to Wake Up Receivers and press it. Give the system some time to take the hit. It 'may' work, or not. It's worth the try.

Deleted AMC downloads on H3 and tried again-still no luck.
It occurs to me that you said you downloaded via PPV. Is that really PPV and not On Demand? If it is PPV can you be specific on how you got to Dark Winds in PPV. I can't find it anywhere besides On Demand and those play just fine for me. Are you subscribed to a level that includes AMC?

It occurs to me that you said you downloaded via PPV. Is that really PPV and not On Demand? If it is PPV can you be specific on how you got to Dark Winds in PPV. I can't find it anywhere besides On Demand and those play just fine for me. Are you subscribed to a level that includes AMC?
Sorry-I meant on demand.
Yes I have top 200 which includes AMC.

Sorry-I meant on demand.
Yes I have top 200 which includes AMC.
OK, let's try this: Delete your on demand copies of Dark Winds and Black Snow if you haven't already. Next, unplug your receiver for 30 seconds and let it reboot up. Now, go to Search and input Dark Winds. You should get the screen with 4 episodes for Season 2. Don't try episode 4, you need a sub to AMC+ to get that one right now. Go ahead and select episode 1. See if it plays.

OK, let's try this: Delete your on demand copies of Dark Winds and Black Snow if you haven't already. Next, unplug your receiver for 30 seconds and let it reboot up. Now, go to Search and input Dark Winds. You should get the screen with 4 episodes for Season 2. Don't try episode 4, you need a sub to AMC+ to get that one right now. Go ahead and select episode 1. See if it plays.
As you might imagine that didn't work either.Perhaps the next step is researching how to restore the H3 and see what that does.Everything on the hard drive is either been watched or not that important.
Watching "Black Snow" on the AMC app reminded me of how painful an experience the AMC app is.Commercials every 5 minutes.And no variety in the commericials.And the same commercial repeating in the same commercial break!-there really ought to be a law!Oh and the last commercial break returning to credits!

AMC is included in your package. AMC+ is a separate streaming app that is a separate paid subscription . Roughly for about $5.
The screen shot above shows that episode to be on AMC+...NOT on AMC (the channel).
And that screenshot also shows AMC as well as Plus. I don't sub to Plus but do have AMC and I am able to watch that programming.

AMC Networks usually sends providers seperate VOD encodes for AMC and AMC+ because their VOD libraries have different availability dates and some AMC content has ad breaks while the same episode or movie via AMC+ is ad free. So you might have to look for a duplicate entry of that episode in the search results where it displays the AMC as the network instead of AMC+ in the details, or specifically browse the AMC section on channel 300 to find it.

AMC Networks usually sends providers seperate VOD encodes for AMC and AMC+ because their VOD libraries have different availability dates and some AMC content has ad breaks while the same episode or movie via AMC+ is ad free. So you might have to look for a duplicate entry of that episode in the search results where it displays the AMC as the network instead of AMC+ in the details, or specifically browse the AMC section on channel 300 to find it.
Yet, as I have said, it works for me. Even when it shows both.