PQ D!SH vs Netflix

orlyPR

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
caribbean
Hy to all, i subscriber to Netflix while the emergency situation are in effect. my parents like to watch a movie for this reason I have the premium channels in my account, Starz and Epix. and now the SHOWTIME free preview. My father told me that the Picture Quality of Netflix is superior over Dish HD. my television set is HD samsung 2010 model (not 4K). two consideration, my ISP not throttle the steaming connection and have Netflix cache in their cable headend. i like to know if the PQ of the DISH HD channel is low same situation in Directv or other cable company?

Dish’s pricing has always been good. Good price/quantity. Dish has proven they can exist without having all the channels (HBO)

Why not be different and start sliming down channel lineup (fight the programmers) turn into a price/quality. Full bitrate pass exactly what you downlink and nothing else. All sports package and build the brand for having the best looking sports hands down vs any provider traditional or OTT. What would be even better is for dish to change the industry for delivery and pioneer DBS to IP. I’m sorry echostar / dish can not beat Apple, google, Amazion on hardware so why even brother. Give us our content via IP that’s injected into our home networks via satellite. Let us use Apple TV or other and invest in having killer software.

Thoughts?

I think this is a Hugh opportunity for dish. Reinvent your self get to 25 million subs.

Reactions: mwdxer1 and osu1991
I don't think building the entire brand around sports is a winning plan. I got the flex pack so I could EXCLUDE ESPN. I am a movie/hometheater buff and not into sports, and I am definitely looking for picture quality to view on 65"+ screen sizes (Dish is not quite as crisp on my 65"display as I would like) but for what it is it is ok. I have my bluray player for more critical viewing, and Netflix is sharper but their library doesn't have everything.

Reactions: joegr and TheKrell
I don't think building the entire brand around sports is a winning plan. I got the flex pack so I could EXCLUDE ESPN. I am a movie/hometheater buff and not into sports, and I am definitely looking for picture quality to view on 65"+ screen sizes (Dish is not quite as crisp on my 65"display as I would like) but for what it is it is ok. I have my bluray player for more critical viewing, and Netflix is sharper but their library doesn't have everything.
Not only excluding channels like sports, but I got the Flex Pack because even the channels I do watch I don't need 24/7. I can turn on and off channel packs on a pro-rated basis when needed. Dish should be expanding the flex pack options but the channel owners are fighting against it and is one of the reasons that the RSNs are gone.

Channel owners need to provide a product that people want rather than cram their packages down dish's throat. If you provide something that people want, they will pay for it. I love the flex pack, I can pick and choose what I want to see, without all the extra garbage.

Streaming does still not provide everything that I want from one source, I hate having to have check so many different sources (Netflix, HULU, Amazon Prime, etc...) to look and see if they have what I want to watch at that moment. The flex pack still holds value for me as having more things I want to watch in one place. I do have several streaming sources but I use them when I cannot find what I want on Dish. And I am old fashioned and don't want to give up the DVR features.

I would disagree when you state Dish cannot compete on the hardware front, I put Dish on hold for ~9 months while trying out various streaming options. The main reason I came back to dish is the Hopper3 and the associated local DVR. DVR in the cloud is not acceptable to me. Yes, I pay more for Dish than the various streaming options but to me the functionality of the local DVR is worth it. If necessary it shouldn't be all that hard to release a "Hopper4" that incorporates the best parts of the "3" and can also act as a capable streaming platform, maybe partner with Roku like many of the lower end TV manufacturers have.

Dish’s pricing has always been good. Good price/quantity. Dish has proven they can exist without having all the channels (HBO)

Why not be different and start sliming down channel lineup (fight the programmers) turn into a price/quality. Full bitrate pass exactly what you downlink and nothing else. All sports package and build the brand for having the best looking sports hands down vs any provider traditional or OTT. What would be even better is for dish to change the industry for delivery and pioneer DBS to IP. I’m sorry echostar / dish can not beat Apple, google, Amazion on hardware so why even brother. Give us our content via IP that’s injected into our home networks via satellite. Let us use Apple TV or other and invest in having killer software.

Thoughts?

I think this is a Hugh opportunity for dish. Reinvent your self get to 25 million subs.

The main reason I have been with Dish for 21 years is for the variety and the customer service when needed is good for me. I have also Roku and Fire Sticks and the pq is better than Dish, but the content for what I watch is available with Dish. First off many channels Dish offers are not on streaming, most of the diginets like Metv or Get TV are not streaming, all of the locals are not available streaming, mainly the main nets if you even get all of them. Add to that with streaming, the DVR functions are not even close to Dish as I can record anything to the Dish DVR and it is there forever if needed. Do I like all of the free stuff with streaming, you bet. Lots of great apps that are not available elsewhere, but so far it will not replace Dish for me. Add to that, what if your internet goes out for a time. Ours does, and no streaming, but Dish & OTA are there. Streaming has a ways to go.

Well now,
What with the stay home virus pandemic.
The streaming services are now starting to cut back their bandwidth.
Youtube dropped to 480.
Surely netflix and others won't be far behind.
Imagine if streaming was THE major player in content distribution....
Overloaded servers cutting back bandwidth or shutting down...
AOL of the 90s

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

• Sad
Reactions: Jon J and TheKrell
Channel owners need to provide a product that people want rather than cram their packages down dish's throat. If you provide something that people want, they will pay for it. I love the flex pack, I can pick and choose what I want to see, without all the extra garbage.

Streaming does still not provide everything that I want from one source, I hate having to have check so many different sources (Netflix, HULU, Amazon Prime, etc...) to look and see if they have what I want to watch at that moment. The flex pack still holds value for me as having more things I want to watch in one place. I do have several streaming sources but I use them when I cannot find what I want on Dish. And I am old fashioned and don't want to give up the DVR features.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe on the services like Netflix and Prime but the more linear services like Hulu, youtubeTV, and Sling don't offer much more that stereo.
No maybe about it, Dish audio is over compressed and muddy. Also Netflix and Prime are the 800# gorillas of streaming. YouTube audio is also superior. I could understand lower PQ but I can't understand why Dish has such poor sound quality.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I could understand lower PQ but I can't understand why Dish has such poor sound quality.

Why? The reason both streams are overcompressed is the same: cram more channels into the available bandwidth. :crying Many people aren't as concerned as we are about PQ, and even fewer IMHO are concerned with AQ.