PQ DVD vs DISH HD

Hoosier-Daddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Not positive if this is the right forum but...

With a 1080p TV, which source would be a better picture: (1) A DVD player or (2) satellite 1080i?

More specifically, HDMI connection for both and the satellite being DISH (HD).

The DVD is 480P and upscaled to 1080p either by the TV or DVD player. I don't know if DISH compression is similar between HD channels, plus it gets converted in the STB to 1080i since the satellite is sending 1080 vertical but the horizontal resolution is considerably lower than the 1920 of HD.

Hi Navy, I'm asking the relative picture quality between a commercial DVD and DISH HD.

Its just a curiosity but to put it in a hypothetical real world situation, if you saw a movie you like is going to be on HBO, would you rather record and watch it on DISH or on the DVD of that movie you own? I know the speeds and feeds but that doesn't say which looks the best to most people. The DVD is mpg2 and 480p (as I posted above). The DISH file is mp4 but also not the same resolution as the TV since DISH's horizontal resolution is less than 1920. Plus I have no clue how much compression DISH uses, just the physical file sizes in the STB (usually close to 3 GB for a movie).

Just watch a DVD and an HD program on Dish and see for yourself. There is no comparison. Just in terms of pixel count alone, the Dish version has nearly 5x the picture information in each frame. You can't directly compare MPEG2 to MPEG4 either since the latter is far more efficient. Put your DVDs back on the shelf where they belong and enjoy your Dish service.

Yep. I fully agree with the above. It ain't even close. Unless you have a tiny TV.

No. HD is normally passed b Dish as rec'd. Or did you mean the TV upconverts lesser signals?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts