PQ Fixes that worked for me...

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Well with my Marlins match on blackout, I ended up spending like 3 hours adjusting my TV. I took up Ilya's advice and connected the STB to component instead of DVI and made comparisons. Immediately its obvious the component cable connection is a little softer and lacks the sharpness of DVI, but I could see less mosquito noise, less background pixelation and the white winky dot snow I thought at first dissappeared.

Upon closer observation the white snow problem is still there but it was so, so, faint, I literally had to be waiting around for 5 minutes before I could notice any white noise on the screen.

I was confused by this, but what I wanted was the sharpness of DVI with the nice color portrayal of component. The problem for me was in the service menu. In the service menu on this Phillips RPTV it has Brightness, Sharpness, Color settings that work in conjunction with the user set settings. I went into the DVI channel and knocked 10-15 points off each setting, especially color to match more closely the component cable settings.

Then I went back and adjusted the TV settings, and I would have to say I received a 30% improvement on my HD and even SD picture quality. Pixelation is reduced since I think the majority was caused by the TV's default overcompensation on the DVI port. HD looks damn sharp, I was feeling WOW all over the place... granted I still see mosquito noise on channels it is now much less distracting. The problem is I adjusted my TV using a DVD (DVE?) that had multiple tests and adjustments for PQ. After adjusting my TV for HD on VOOM I don't have a good test pattern for this. So I had to adjust it across multiple channels and multiple contents which is never good... but all in all I get great PQ from HD and poor PQ from DVDs. I had to save each setting independently, but I wondered if anyone else has had this issue or has even noticed it? Maybe most of us automatically adjusted our sets with a home theatre DVD and then run Voom off DVI and marvel at the piss poor PQ?

Yeah, it can be a challenge after using DVE. My Mitsu holds the changes based on the resolution being input i.e. even though my DVD and Voom are coming through the same component input the TV only saves my adjustments for the 480p resolution. So I too had to configure the 1080i input based on what I thought looked natural over many different channels. The DVE disc, if watched from start to finish, is very good at explaining which adjustments do what and help you learn what to look for when adjusting the settings.

wasch_24 I'm in a similar boat, the DVE let me adjust the quality but only by the port, so only at 480p and only in through Components Jack 1 and 2. At 1080i I noticed brightness and contrast changed significantly when I flipped the STB from 480p to 1080i. In the service menu for component I can also flip from 1080i to 480p and do adjustments that way. Unfortunately I don't have a DVI DVD player, would be nice but not yet, so I have no frame of reference to properly adjust the DVI port. I think that for the next update it would be nice if Voom could program a nice HD test pattern, and it would be REALLY nice if it could be some sort of step by step thing like the THX Optimode whatever included with some movies. I think it would only help Voom out anyway, if people adjusted their TVs properly (because we don't all have $600-1,000 to have some guy come out and do this mega-super adjustment) then they would have less issues with the PQ, and enjoy their Voom more.

As others have mentions, nothing helps as much as a good calibration.

I purchased the DVE's 1080i calibration tape and borrowed a friends JVC 30K, a true hd player(not the upconvert stuff you see around) and calibrated my component input. When I say calibrate, I'm also talking about adjusting the color decoder, grayscale, etc. Picture on component looks very good. However, the adjustments are not directly transferable to the DVI input. Actually, with both component and DVI having the same service menu settings, component looks better. I can tell that there is some difference with the color balance with the DVI input. Problem is, the signal isn't processed exactly the same with DVI. So, I've got a HD signal generator with DVI connectivity coming so that I can get the DVI input adjusted.

I've also given up on the DVI connection, I've found pretty much the same to be true with what Dvlos says. The component is a bit softer but there is less noise overall and makes the viewing experience tolerable on Voom.

DarrellP said:
I've also given up on the DVI connection, I've found pretty much the same to be true with what Dvlos says. The component is a bit softer but there is less noise overall and makes the viewing experience tolerable on Voom.

I did the same. However, It is mostly because I didn't like the SD channels being shifted to the right and black borders on DVI. Does not happen on component. Don't know if 6.1 fixed that. Can somebody tell me different? I have a Sammy DLP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)