PQ improving on Starz & HBO????

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LonghornXP said:
Also Lyngsat ties into the AFB tracking system so when the AFB is actively refreshing the track Lnygsat will be refreshed. Right now I've seen Lyngsat update spaceway 1s location at least 40 times in the last 30 minutes

Actually, the last time that the Air Force updated that tracker, was on June 24, 2005. Since that time, Lyngsat has extrapolated the location.

I'd listen more to the Air Force if I were you...

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
Actually, the last time that the Air Force updated that tracker, was on June 24, 2005. Since that time, Lyngsat has extrapolated the location.

~Alan

If things went well and it stayed at 102.3 like it should than Lyngsat would have been updated and would now say that spaceway 1 was in stationary orbit at 102.3 degrees. Because that didn't work its calculating where it should be right now. The whole fact of this is that its moving when it should have been parked at 102.3 in stationary orbit which means that Lyngsat wouldn't need to predict where its going to be because it would be there.

Soooo.... sort of harkening back to my op.... Is anyone currently watching D* to see if their PQ has improved? IF the PQ is improved, what can we attest this to? New software compression/encoding? And also, is this a sign of things to come?

Question asked on behalf of the security clearance impaired....

LonghornXP said:
If things went well and it stayed at 102.3 like it should than Lyngsat would have been updated and would now say that spaceway 1 was in stationary orbit at 102.3 degrees. Because that didn't work its calculating where it should be right now. The whole fact of this is that its moving when it should have been parked at 102.3 in stationary orbit which means that Lyngsat wouldn't need to predict where its going to be because it would be there.

DirecTV-8 went to 102.8, then it went to 99 on it's way back to 101, and Lyngsat now shows it at 103.55 (I've seen it move too!), but it hasn't been updated since last Thursday. Is there a problem with it too?!

~Alan

cr0mag said:
Soooo.... sort of harkening back to my op.... Is anyone currently watching D* to see if their PQ has improved? IF the PQ is improved, what can we attest this to? New software compression/encoding? And also, is this a sign of things to come?

Picture quality improvements are due to both the start of using DirecTV8 and new encoders but right now the improvement is more todo with the new encoders than anything else.

Alan Gordon said:
DirecTV-8 went to 102.8, then it went to 99 on it's way back to 101, and Lyngsat now shows it at 103.55 (I've seen it move too!), but it hasn't been updated since last Thursday. Is there a problem with it too?!

~Alan

That is common and spaceway 1 would have done the samething. But you didn't see DirecTV 7 or 8 move an extra 10+ degrees did we.

cr0mag said:

I hate it when people try to bring their own threads back on topic WOOHOO, LMAO. You have been hijacked friend. Maybe Longhorn could start a NEW thread an merge the topics. YES YES YES I did note PQ improvement, tonight I'll report on the HD package as soon as I am in front of the tube.

Alan Gordon said:
DirecTV-8 went to 102.8, then it went to 99 on it's way back to 101, and Lyngsat now shows it at 103.55 (I've seen it move too!), but it hasn't been updated since last Thursday. Is there a problem with it too?!~Alan
Yeah, I prefer the USAF updates myself ... if anyone knows live where she is that is who it would be.

This is the main reason that space monkey program was a bad idea ...

rad said:
Did D* pick up some slightly used harmonic encoders from a recently defunct DBS company? ;)

D* had harmonic encoders for a long time. The video errors such as black pictures, snow screens, etc are due to these harmonic encoders. These harmonic encoders delive excellent compression algorithm only if they are worked on very hard through complex mathematical algorithm (I am told) and to answer the question as far as I know Voom is still using the same Harmonic Encoders to delive V 10 to E* at 61.5. Furthermore, those harmonic encoders can deliver both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4. I would not be surprise if what they are doing is just playing with the MPEG-2 algorithm. Sometimes you may see improve PQ in one channel but you turn to another one and the algorithm messes it up. There's only so much one can gain and of course there will be some lost at some other end.

LonghornXP said:
If you would be so kind to look at this link below. Right now DirecTV8 is in stationary orbit and as such its position isn't increasing constantly as is spaceways.

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/dtv8.html

Right, but the link shows DirecTV-8 as being at 103.55. It doesn't move as much, but just two weeks ago, it was doing what Lyngsat showed SpaceWay-1 is doing now. I'm just saying that you really can't go by Lyngsat for up to the minute calculations. I just don't want anybody getting freaked out like I did by watching the satellites zoom around space on Lyngsat.

~Alan

slacker9876 said:
I hate it when people try to bring their own threads back on topic WOOHOO, LMAO. You have been hijacked friend. Maybe Longhorn could start a NEW thread an merge the topics. YES YES YES I did note PQ improvement, tonight I'll report on the HD package as soon as I am in front of the tube.

Yeah, I prefer the USAF updates myself ... if anyone knows live where she is that is who it would be.

This is the main reason that space monkey program was a bad idea ...

Nahhh... don't start a new thread... I'm just glad to see all this activity! ;)

Alan Gordon said:
Right, but the link shows DirecTV-8 as being at 103.55. It doesn't move as much, but just two weeks ago, it was doing what Lyngsat showed SpaceWay-1 is doing now. I'm just saying that you really can't go by Lyngsat for up to the minute calculations. I just don't want anybody getting freaked out like I did by watching the satellites zoom around space on Lyngsat.

~Alan

What you saw with DirecTV8 was it moving into orbit not away from its final location and that is a very big difference. Also away is like 5-10+ degrees away not 2-3 on either side. I do know that this site isn't updated but from what I hear if spaceway 1 made it into stationary orbit at about 102.3 degrees the Lyngsat side would would been sent a special update saying what final position it was in and wouldn't be updating. From what I hear any engine burn and stationary orbit thrust would be updated as it occurs (around the time it occurs) and because that hasn't occured that means that Lyngsat is still calculating its movements.

LonghornXP said:
What you saw with DirecTV8 was it moving into orbit not away from its final location and that is a very big difference. Also away is like 5-10+ degrees away not 2-3 on either side.

I have seen DirecTV-8 move past the 101 spot at least 25 times before it made it to 102.8, then it got moved to 99, and then started the trek back to 101, which I assume is probably where it is now.

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
Actually, "The US AirForce provides most of the tracking data for satellite positions and they only update the actual location every fews days to once a week in general. The rest of the time they just extrapolate its location based on the last orbit (ie assuming no engine burns).

So sometimes it appears a sat will drift past it location, then when the next real data is available it will snap into position. "

If you will look on the SpaceWay satellite tracker at Lyngsat.com, it says its position was last updated on June 24, 2005.

~Alan

Well sir, I am afraid I'll have to argue this one with you. Lyngsat apparently is not an extrapolation from previous position ... it is fairly live. This morning the last update still indicates 050624 and the position reads 98.24.

Now we know, and like GI Joe always said, Knowing is half the battle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts