PQ is really lacking

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
While I enjoy the HD only package, it appears that Dish has let their HD pq slide because many channels are soft and noisy. When I went from Dish to Directv I really did not notice much, but after swapping back over 7 mo's later, its a bit of a difference. Maybe they should rething adding more HD and do something about this dismal PQ.

I am pretty sure that when DirecTV put up their new HD, they did so at full resolution, which would explain the difference in what you are seeing.

I do believe that Dish's plans are to bring channels to full resolution, but I doubt it is in the next year.

Yeah, I think my issue is that they appear to be worse. I never really had an issue with Dish's PQ when I was sub, and I always spoke highly of it even after going to Directv. HistHD is looking pretty good, but Ive seen some programming on Disc HD Theater that looks pretty bad, Disc and TLC too.

Maybe its just the programming, but i can say I never saw the inconsistencies with D* so I hope they work to improve it on the new system.

Are all of these Mpeg4?

Yeah, I think my issue is that they appear to be worse. I never really had an issue with Dish's PQ when I was sub, and I always spoke highly of it even after going to Directv. HistHD is looking pretty good, but Ive seen some programming on Disc HD Theater that looks pretty bad, Disc and TLC too.

Maybe its just the programming, but i can say I never saw the inconsistencies with D* so I hope they work to improve it on the new system.

Are all of these Mpeg4?

To be honest, I have been pretty happy with the PQ; Discovery HD always looks great. Don't watch TLC.

Dish really needs to transition everything over to MPEG-4. They would be able to have the higher resolution that way. I was in a store the other day and they had both D* and E* hooked up to a TV (used the same type of connections, the same video settings on each input, etc. ... yes, I checked).

The DirecTV versions of the channels were noticeably sharper than the ones on Dish Network.

That being said, when I watch on Dish Network, without having DirecTV to compare it to, the picture on most of the HD channels I watch seems okay to me. I just wish it was at full resolution.

When I was with Charter Cable I had a Motorola 3416 DVR and I think I had a 6416 too or something like that. The guide in it was called IGuide. I don't know who was at fault for the poor performance of the DVR, but it is the main reason I switched to Dish TV. I think it was the IGuide program not getting along with Motorola. The performance of the DVR is the most important thing to me.

The prob with cable and the reason Ive stayed away for awhile is the dvr's guide usually stinks and many dont support ext storage. Cox here has just as much hd as dish(prob better pq), but the dvr will only hold 20 hours of hd :haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)