PQ with Dish

141park

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 29, 2022
Florida
Hi, does anyone have settings for a Sony 85" 8K TV, how how to improve Dish picture quality? I am using a Hopper 3 and the picture quality isn't really good. Just wondering if anyone has any calibrated settings or settings they played around with that could improve the PQ for movies and sports.

Thanks!

I don't have 8K tv's nor are they Sony
Most of tv's are Samsung, but regardless of the brand, just go into the picture settings and adjust the selection
Probably the 1st thing to change would be the sharpness setting, color temp
Most people seem to prefer using the cinema or movie setting, but I use standard or natural
I like the brighter picture and the pop that comes with that.

Hi, does anyone have settings for a Sony 85" 8K TV, how how to improve Dish picture quality? I am using a Hopper 3 and the picture quality isn't really good. Just wondering if anyone has any calibrated settings or settings they played around with that could improve the PQ for movies and sports.

Thanks!
It’s more difficult with newer TVs but I always go to the Internet and do a search for calibrate the make and model of my TV and then there are usually good sites where people have played with the best settings. The reason it’s more difficult with newer TVs is that those may not have been covered yet rtings.com is a good one

It’s more difficult with newer TVs but I always go to the Internet and do a search for calibrate the make and model of my TV and then there are usually good sites where people have played with the best settings. The reason it’s more difficult with newer TVs is that those may not have been covered yet rtings.com is a good one
I appreciate that. Biggest issue I am seeing is most calibration and best settings are for 4K movies, HDR etc etc . Nothing I am finding is for Dish signal for settings.

I appreciate that. Biggest issue I am seeing is most calibration and best settings are for 4K movies, HDR etc etc . Nothing I am finding is for Dish signal for settings.
Google search with your Sony tv model number and ask : How do I calibrate my Sony tv model # and what year you bought it . You could also ask what are the best picture settings for my Sony tv model # to give me a great picture. I did this for a Phillips tv I had a year or two back and I was able to bring up an article that told me what I needed to do to give me the best picture quality and what to set my controls to.

I just googled How do I get the best picture on my Sony hdtv and here are the settings they recommended.

Picture mode : Cinema or Movie
Sharpness : 0 . Turning up sharpness adds noise to your picture.
Backlight: 100% or what looks best to you.
Contrast : 100%
Brightness : 50%

But you can do as I suggested at first and narrow down your model number and year you bought it to get more detailed settings.

Not sure why you would expect to. It's one thing to upscale HD to 2K but to 8K? You can calibrate it all you want and it's never going to look great simply because of the limitations of the source signal.

most Dish channel are transmitted at 1080i or below most premiums too only hand full are 1080p and even less are 4K usual ppv, and all have horrid compression added.

Less it look terrible on tv cause not calibrated, your tv is basically scaling 1080i or less to 8k, there is no scaler in any tv that make that look good let alone close to native. at this point I would settle for dish no longer transmitting 480i or 1080i everything should progressive "p" and min of 1080p at that. absoultly hate the interlaced feed effect on tv and it picture, i see those interlaced lines way to often

I been question there PQ and transmission resolution for years.

Not sure why you would expect to. It's one thing to upscale HD to 2K but to 8K? You can calibrate it all you want and it's never going to look great simply because of the limitations of the source signal.
Not trying to upscale to 8K. The TV is 8K but that doesn't mean you can't set it up so you can get a quality dish picture. THere is no 8K content out there really right now. 4k plays excellent. HD plays excellent but for some reason Dish Picture quality hasn't been great or even good

Reactions: HipKat
Not trying to upscale to 8K. The TV is 8K but that doesn't mean you can't set it up so you can get a quality dish picture. THere is no 8K content out there really right now. 4k plays excellent. HD plays excellent but for some reason Dish Picture quality hasn't been great or even good
Do you have the Z9J or K?

I have the 85” K and I found that the best setting is Custom for 1080 programming, don’t change the settings, just leave it till you can get a calibration done.

There are some settings at AVS under the owners threads, I would post a link but do not know which model you have.

I don’t have Dish, I have YTTV and here is a example under Custom using 1080 programming-

5B5166D6-0F5A-4CA6-AF68-3E6BF19092DD.jpeg

Reactions: 141park
Do you have the Z9J or K?

I have the 85” K and I found that the best setting is Custom for 1080 programming, don’t change the settings, just leave it till you can get a calibration done.

There are some settings at AVS under the owners threads, I would post a link but do not know which model you have.

I don’t have Dish, I have YTTV and here is a example under Custom using 1080 programming-

View attachment 158454
Hey Thanks! I have the XBR-85Z8H. Streaming such as YTTV, FUBO, HULU, NETFLIX, Disney plus has been great on that but for some reason I can't get Dish to produce a quality picture. I also have Samsung 85 inch 8K and that has a much nicer picture for Dish. Let me know if you find out anything else. Thanks again!

When I had Dish, I had to tweak each input, meaning Dish, Live TV/SDR and the Streaming Apps by using the settings I found and then modifying them to my liking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)