Pre-amp vs amp

nusatman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
OK. I'm potentially going to add an outdoor antenna on my roof. Thinking about going with the winegard HD stacker as my choice. Since I rent where I live, I thought this would be a better option due to it's size, and from what I have seen it has gotten very good reviews.
From what I have been told, I was advised to add a rotor and 25db amp to the setup. I'm wondering if that is the best option, or should I consider a pre-amp instead?

OK. I'm potentially going to add an outdoor antenna on my roof. Thinking about going with the winegard HD stacker as my choice. Since I rent where I live, I thought this would be a better option due to it's size, and from what I have seen it has gotten very good reviews.
From what I have been told, I was advised to add a rotor and 25db amp to the setup. I'm wondering if that is the best option, or should I consider a pre-amp instead?
Give us your TVFool report or at least your zipcde. From what you posted we have no Idea what stations you want to receive. How far away you are from the broadcasts towers? Do you need VHF or UHF or both?

Preamp is always better as it's better to amplify a strong signal then try to amplify a weak signal.

I would skip the amp completely as I have found it can sometimes introduce un necessary noise into the line.

Hook it up without the amp first and experiment unless you got a good signal meter.

I'm looking to shoot for both VHF and UHF. I've been using a small indoor "homemade" antenna, and while doing a scan, a good share of the real channels appears, but obviously not strong enough to get a picture. It'll stop on a particular channel, for example real 12, which is out of Erie. I'd like to go as far as I can in any direction, like most of us do.

Preamp is always better as it's better to amplify a strong signal then try to amplify a weak signal.

I would skip the amp completely as I have found it can sometimes introduce un necessary noise into the line.

Hook it up without the amp first and experiment unless you got a good signal meter.

Unfortunately, I don't have a signal meter, and I'm going to have it professionally installed, of which I need to find an installer. It's going to be replacing a directv setup, so I'll be using that existing cable which is run into 3 separate rooms, however, I'm only using 2 of the lines. One line will be fairly close to the point of origin of the antenna, the second is on the other side of the house - living room.

I'm assuming it's not a good idea to mix a pre-amp with an amp, correct? I'm aiming for distance as much as possible, and I know that where I am situated it could be a bit of a challenge to do so.

51.1/ 49.1/ 2.1/ 4.1/ 23.1/ 7.1/ 29.1/&17.1 are all LOS and UHF so I would suggest a 4 bay bow tie antenna without any amplifier. You may have another group of channels in the 70 degree area that may come in from the backside. You could try aiming the antenna towards the 70 degree stations and see if the LOS(line of sight) stations which are stronger will come in from the back side.

Would an 8 bay in pointed in opposite directions work well too? In other words, one aimed at Buffalo and southwest, and one north and east towards Rochester? Possibly a pre-amp could help stabilize and potentially pick up other stations?

I'm also considering this type of setup:

channel master 5020, along with a 7777 pre-amp, rotator, and a 2 port amp cm 3412.

Would an 8 bay in pointed in opposite directions work well too? In other words, one aimed at Buffalo and southwest, and one north and east towards Rochester? Possibly a pre-amp could help stabilize and potentially pick up other stations?

I'm also considering this type of setup:

channel master 5020, along with a 7777 pre-amp, rotator, and a 2 port amp cm 3412.
Do what ever you want it is your time and money.

You don't have any VHF LO real channels. ( 2 thru 6) so about 1/3 of that antenna isn't being utilized.
Check out the AntennaCraft HBU33 or HBU44 or the Winegard HD 7695P or HD 7694P
I'd be willing to try 2 antennas coupled together with a splitter or phase harness. One aimed to the ENE and the other to the SW*. No amp. Maybe a preamp on the antenna to the ENE. None on the SW one.
*Aimed to 246°, midway between 273° & 220°.

How to choose the right amplifier http://www.solidsignal.com/p/?p=3561

If you're only using one television, I'd do one antenna on a rotor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)