pre-wired home (I'm clueless)....does tech need to run cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sleepyhead0710

Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
:confused:
HELP...I am unfamiliar with any and all aspects of what a tech does when they hook up direcTV but I would like to try and get a question answered. Just bought a brand new home and is pre-wired for cable tv but when a tech hooks up satellite tv (direcTV) and a home is pre-wired is it necessary for the tech to go in the crawlspace or attic of a home to run wiring/cable? Just had a tech come out and went in the crawlspace of my home to fish wiring up to the cable plates and caused damage to my home and as I'm learning more about this type of thing I'm starting to believe that he may not have needed to ever go in the crawlspace at all....which of course makes me all the more upset if that is the case. :confused:
Appreciate a knowledgable tech response as the tech that came to my home was as clueless as myself as to what he was doing....I expect the tech to scope out the home and figure out what to do but the guy that came to my home shouldn't have been doing this type of work whatsoever!!!!

sleepyhead0710 said:
:confused:
HELP...I am unfamiliar with any and all aspects of what a tech does when they hook up direcTV but I would like to try and get a question answered. Just bought a brand new home and is pre-wired for cable tv but when a tech hooks up satellite tv (direcTV) and a home is pre-wired is it necessary for the tech to go in the crawlspace or attic of a home to run wiring/cable? Just had a tech come out and went in the crawlspace of my home to fish wiring up to the cable plates and caused damage to my home and as I'm learning more about this type of thing I'm starting to believe that he may not have needed to ever go in the crawlspace at all....which of course makes me all the more upset if that is the case. :confused:
Appreciate a knowledgable tech response as the tech that came to my home was as clueless as myself as to what he was doing....I expect the tech to scope out the home and figure out what to do but the guy that came to my home shouldn't have been doing this type of work whatsoever!!!!
First, I am not a D* tech, but have done plenty of installs.
As for the tech running new lines, it depends on what coax was run when the house was built, if the house has RG-6 run thru it and there are no splitters in the run, then he probably didn't need to run new.
If you needed a DVR set up you would need a seperate line run for the 2nd tuner
Did you give him the OK to use your existing (cable) coax...
He may have thought you were going to still need cable as well.
There are different reasons for running new coax, it just depends on what your trying to accomplish.

Jimbo

a pre-wired home has a junction point where all the cable goes to, it is neccesary for a tech to run the wires from the dish to this point. when i do a pre-wired i usually leave the inbound cable at the DeMark alone just incase the customer gets cable internet later.

Is there any way to split a cable jack in a pre-wired home from the jack itself, for use with D*, instead of having an electrician come in and add a second jack, so I can use a dual tuner tivo?

gcrew said:
Is there any way to split a cable jack in a pre-wired home from the jack itself, for use with D*, instead of having an electrician come in and add a second jack, so I can use a dual tuner tivo?

No, you will need a seperate line from the dish (or multiswitch, if one is used) to the secondary tuner (or in your case, to a new jack). For proper operation, there can never be cable splitters in a D* satellite sytem between the dish/switch and receivers, but, splitting the out from the STB to a second TV (so you have the same channel on two TVs) is OK, but, useless for what you want.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)