Preakness Stakes 2009- Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
It's almost time for the 2nd jewel of the Triple Crown.

Who's it gonna be?

Jockey Calvin Borel rode both Rachel Alexandra in the Kentucky Oaks the day before the Derby and then the next day rode the 50-1 horse from New Mexico, Mine that Bird to victory in the Kentucky Derby.

Both horses are racing today in the Preakness, even though Philly's don't typically race in the Triple Crowns. These races are typically raced by Stallions. Only 4 Philly's have ever raced the Preakness in over 70 years. A Philly has not won the race since 1924. Rachel, the Super Philly is looking to rewrite history today.

Rachel Alexandra is 2:1 odds (16.2 hands, 1,100 lbs). Jockey Calvin Borel is choosing to ride the Philly over the Derby winner.

Mine that Bird is a 6:1 odds. (15.1 hands, 1,000 lbs). The jockey riding Bird just met him this morning.

Let's get it on....

Oh, and with that- make it 31 years without a Triple Crown winner.

Since there'll be no Triple Crown on the line at Belmont, let's hope Rachel Alexandra and Mine That Bird race at the Belmont Stakes.

Rachel Alexandra gets the win, but Mine That Bird came from all the way back to come THISCLOSE to pulling a stunning win.

Yep. And Bird didn't have the rail to sneak through like at the Kentucky Derby. He had to go all the way around the outside to catch up. Bird has nothing to be ashamed of. This little horse has all the heart in the world!!

Oh, and with that- make it 31 years without a Triple Crown winner.

Since there'll be no Triple Crown on the line at Belmont, let's hope Rachel Alexandra and Mine That Bird race at the Belmont Stakes.

I sure hope so. Both are spectacular horses.

Now, if given the option, who does Calvin Borel chose to race?

Congrat's to Rachel Alexandra.

1st Filly in 85 years to win! 4th in history!

Jockey Calvin Borel even said she didn't even race up to her potential! Imagine if he got 110% out of her?! Why didn't this horse race the Kentucky Derby again???

How in the world was Mine That Bird a 50-1 longshot in the Derby? Who handicaps this stuff?

Dunno. He's probably the smallest horse in the race though. Even smaller than the Filly. I'd guess by the looks of him, he didn't look like a winner. So much for that. This horse has the heart of Seabiscuit!

The Governor of Maryland just ensured that despite the state declairing eminent domain on the Pimlico Race Course that the Preakness will remain at the same location in Baltimore, MA. Good news. This is a historic track.

The Governor of Maryland just ensured that despite the state declairing eminent domain on the Pimlico Race Course that the Preakness will remain at the same location in Baltimore, MA. Good news. This is a historic track.

"Despite" is not the word, its "because".

As I understand the deal:

Pimlico is only open for five weeks per year, and is in a not great urban section of Baltimore and belongs to the bankrupt (and corupt) Magna Corporation. The area is the most over-saturated part of the country for horse tracks,

The state wants to do eminent domain on the track and the trademarked word "Preakness". Then find a contractor to operate the course for the state, probably with an approval for slot machines as well.

However, the federal bankruptcy court has not ruled if the state can take eminent domain AFTER a bankruptcy filing. Magna's creditors would get more money if Pimlico were sold for its land value and the trademark of "Preakness" and the membership in the Triple Crown were sold to the highest bidder. In an open auction, lots of tracks all over the country, many with slots and even full "racino" revenues would pay far more than the state is willing to.

The Preakness, live from Santa Anita? Colonial Downs? Fair Grounds? Arlington Park? The Meadowlands?

What I think will eventually happen is that Churchill Downs and the NYRA will get together to bail out the third leg of their joint venture and buy the deal.

We could have the 1st jockey to EVER win the Triple Crown NOT on the same horse, at the Belmonte. GREAT race ran be Mine that Bird jockey Mike Smith. He broke out WAY in the back AGAIN and almost pulled it off. IF the race was the same distance as the Kentuckey Derby, we would be talking about Mine That Bird going for a Triple Crown. I say Mine That Bird wins at Belmont Park in 3 weeks!;):yes

We could have the 1st jockey to EVER win the Triple Crown NOT on the same horse, at the Belmonte. GREAT race ran be Mine that Bird jockey Mike Smith. He broke out WAY in the back AGAIN and almost pulled it off. IF the race was the same distance as the Kentuckey Derby, we would be talking about Mine That Bird going for a Triple Crown. I say Mine That Bird wins at Belmont Park in 3 weeks!;):yes

And let's not forget that the Belmont is the longest of the 3 triple crown races. If I was Calvin, I'd hop back on the Bird!!

And let's not forget that the Belmont is the longest of the 3 triple crown races. If I was Calvin, I'd hop back on the Bird!!

For 2 straight races, NO HORSE has shown more "cojones" and heart than Mine That Bird!! I mean to being dead last in the Derby and winning going away and to litterally be the same in the Preakness and almost pull it off....as Anders asked before, HOW could that horse go off at 50-1?! Considering the results of the last two races and how he has finished, has HAS TO BE a co-favorite at the very least going into the Belmont.

3 different horses, one jockey. I doubt we would ever see that again. Two horses, one jockey - is nothing to sneeze at either.

The would be the equivalent of running, throwing, returning a punt, returning a kickoff and returning an interception ALL in one football game!

or

AVERAGING double figures in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals in one series!

The would be the equivalent of running, throwing, returning a punt, returning a kickoff and returning an interception ALL in one football game!

or

AVERAGING double figures in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals in one series!

I think somebody has came close to doing that once. I think there was a mention of somebody who may have just died who accomplished most of that in one game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)