Preakness Stakes 2009- Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore

For 2 straight races, NO HORSE has shown more "cojones" and heart than Mine That Bird!! I mean to being dead last in the Derby and winning going away and to litterally be the same in the Preakness and almost pull it off....as Anders asked before, HOW could that horse go off at 50-1?! Considering the results of the last two races and how he has finished, has HAS TO BE a co-favorite at the very least going into the Belmont.

Well, Bird was the 2nd favorite, behind Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness, so the line-makers got it right this race.

I wonder what the jockey's cut of the winning purse was?

Owners is usually around 45-55%, trainer around 30ish and the jockeys around 15%....

I know because my dad is the trainer/owner of one of the most infamous horses EVER to run....

...none other than Zippy Chippy...!! :eek:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zippy_Chippy"]Zippy Chippy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Attachments

• a_zippy_vt.jpg
    a_zippy_vt.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 84
This is amazing!! Can you believe that MINE THAT BIRD does NOT have a jockey for the Belmonte??!!

Smith takes off Mine That Bird

Updated: May 18, 2009, 5:06 PM ET
By Jay Privman - Daily Racing Form

Mike Smith, who rode Mine That Bird to a second-place finish in the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, will not ride him in the June 6 Belmont Stakes, choosing instead to ride Madeo in the Grade 1 Whittingham Stakes at Hollywood Park that day.

Brad Pegram, Smith's agent, informed Chip Woolley, the trainer of Mine That Bird, on Monday morning. The decision opens the possibility that Calvin Borel, who rode Mine That Bird to a victory in the Kentucky Derby before opting to ride the filly Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness, can get back on Mine That Bird for the Belmont, if Rachel Alexandra does not run. As of Monday she was only considered possible for the Belmont.

"We made this commitment to Madeo before the Preakness, before the filly was sold and Calvin took off Mine That Bird to ride the filly and we got a chance to ride Mine That Bird in the Preakness," Pegram said Monday.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown09/news/story?id=4175615"]Mike Smith takes off Mine That Bird for Belmont Stakes - ESPN[/ame]

This is amazing!! Can you believe that MINE THAT BIRD does NOT have a jockey for the Belmonte??!!

Smith takes off Mine That Bird

Updated: May 18, 2009, 5:06 PM ET
By Jay Privman - Daily Racing Form

Mike Smith, who rode Mine That Bird to a second-place finish in the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, will not ride him in the June 6 Belmont Stakes, choosing instead to ride Madeo in the Grade 1 Whittingham Stakes at Hollywood Park that day.

Brad Pegram, Smith's agent, informed Chip Woolley, the trainer of Mine That Bird, on Monday morning. The decision opens the possibility that Calvin Borel, who rode Mine That Bird to a victory in the Kentucky Derby before opting to ride the filly Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness, can get back on Mine That Bird for the Belmont, if Rachel Alexandra does not run. As of Monday she was only considered possible for the Belmont.

"We made this commitment to Madeo before the Preakness, before the filly was sold and Calvin took off Mine That Bird to ride the filly and we got a chance to ride Mine That Bird in the Preakness," Pegram said Monday.

Mike Smith takes off Mine That Bird for Belmont Stakes - ESPN

Oh, that poor horse! No one wants to stick with this horse? He has a heart the size of Texas! Come on people, show this horse some due respect!

I wish I was light and small so I could ride the homestate horse in the Belmont.

I just can't believe Rachel Alexandra may not race in the Belmont. the sports report I just saw on TV reported that her owners said she has nothing left to prove.

Let's see, she barely won the shortest of the 3 triple crown races. I bet in the mile and a half belmont, she'd get her ass kicked badly.

I think Rachel Alexandra's owners are smart in knowing she can't be competitive over that much longer length.

.. the sports report I just saw on TV reported that her owners said she has nothing left to prove.

She doesn't. There are two ways to make money in the horse game.

One involves winning races, one involves sex.

A female is only going to have five to eight foals. A male is going to have dozens. (Mine That Bird, a gelding, is going to have zero).

The smart thing to do with her is to run her in a few races as a 3 year old and then a four year old, pointing towards the Breader's Cup Ladies Classic, and then put her out to pasture. She can be bred to the best males of her generation and the money is big.

She doesn't. There are two ways to make money in the horse game.

One involves winning races, one involves sex.

A female is only going to have five to eight foals. A male is going to have dozens. (Mine That Bird, a gelding, is going to have zero).

The smart thing to do with her is to run her in a few races as a 3 year old and then a four year old, pointing towards the Breader's Cup Ladies Classic, and then put her out to pasture. She can be bred to the best males of her generation and the money is big.

And in some case, BIGGER than actually winning races...

I wish I was light and small so I could ride the homestate horse in the Belmont.

I just can't believe Rachel Alexandra may not race in the Belmont. the sports report I just saw on TV reported that her owners said she has nothing left to prove.

Let's see, she barely won the shortest of the 3 triple crown races. I bet in the mile and a half belmont, she'd get her ass kicked badly.

I think Rachel Alexandra's owners are smart in knowing she can't be competitive over that much longer length.

Let's not discount the strain that a long, grueling race such as the Belmont can put on a horse, especially a Filly such as Rachel Alexandra.

We don't need another Eight Belles incident. :(

Amen.

It's not like a Triple Crown is at stake.

I am sort of "iffy" on whether she should run or IF she has anything to prove. IF she does not tun...and MINE THAT BIRD wins....it looks like her win was a fluke because she won the shortest of the 3 Triple Crown races...especially with the late charge of MTB and the fact that he needed a new jockey that had never ridden him before.

...so yeah, I guess to me..and to some, the victory in the Preakness could be considered a fluke.

I am sort of "iffy" on whether she should run or IF she has anything to prove. IF she does not tun...and MINE THAT BIRD wins....it looks like her win was a fluke because she won the shortest of the 3 Triple Crown races...especially with the late charge of MTB and the fact that he needed a new jockey that had never ridden him before.

...so yeah, I guess to me..and to some, the victory in the Preakness could be considered a fluke.

Are you discounting the significance of wining the Kentucky Oaks?!

What would be funny is if the jokey rides a third horse and wins the Jokey Triple Crown. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)