Preffered Satellite?

all4jo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Haiti and lexington ky
Hi guys, i have a small dish to pick locals off 77 and a big dish to pick up regular programming from 119.
lately the receiver has been trying to get the channels from the 77 bird instead of the stronger signal on 119,
so of course my picture is pixalated because of the low signal on small dish. any fixes on the recover or is this just automatic?

thanks

There are local channels on conus beam at 77° (including Lexington). There are also many (most) Dish Latino package channels (including many English language channels) there. The question is: can he have the receiver default to the stronger 129° location and ignore the 77° satellite when there are duplicate channels?

I do not know the answer to this question. I remember WAY back when some people were looking at 148° and 61.5° when most, not all channels were duplicated except for locals this being a common thread of discussion. But I cannot recall the answer.

He can't do Eastern Arc in Haiti. Footprint issues.

Ok,but then I thought that the 77 satellite was an Eastern Arc satellite. I'd like to know why he'd need the 77 satellite in Haiti,if that is where he currently is posting from. I'd think that Lexington locals would be on a spot beam,unless of course it's a CONUS feed(I don't know),which would make it impossible to receive in Haiti? I mean,I just don't know,that's why I'm asking.

77 is a hybrid. It is part of Eastern arc but only for locals. It also houses Disk Latino packages. All the locals on 77 are conus.
There may be other reasons why he wants 77 and 129. They are all really irrelevant to his question. Is there a way to force a receiver to see one sat over another when there are duplicates?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It's not that simple. Many times when a receiver sees two identical channels from two different satellite locations, the receiver will pick only one channel it will "see" and ignore the other one. Doing switch checks sometimes lets you see both, but usually there is something hard-coded that will force the receiver to see one satellite over another when there are duplicates.

The only "solution" that I can think of would be to disconnect the 77 dish (or put aluminum foil over the LNB) when not needed and run a check switch, then reconnect the 77 dish as needed and run a check switch. The other "solution" would be to peak the 77 dish so it has better signal strength, or get a bigger dish for 77. Other than that, no real way to force the receiver to prefer one sat over the other.

Ill try that. another question . could a 211k work directly from dp lab on 77w? my 211 gets signal on check switch , but when I'm done , the acquiring signal screen never goes green.

Pretty sure this is the same as the 61.5/119 HD /SD PTAT issue that was brought up a while ago. I believe the channel you get will be determined by where your guide info downloads from, and it could be either satellite depending on when the box pulls the guide in. That's what was causing some people in certain markets ptat to toggle between HD and SD.

A dish pointed at a single satellite should be able to get a stronger signal than a dish pointed at multiple satellites. Or, is the dish being a "small" one the problem ? In Puerto Rico, as I recall, you need a larger-than-normal dish (I thought 1m dishes were common for E* and D* down there). Haiti is pretty close to PR....

I have 119 in with my EA. Never does the Vip612 get channels from both, one or the other. Over time it appears most any duplicates come from 119 but not all, why I can only speculate. The signal is stronger on each one than on the EA. You can try scanning without 77, then rescan with it and see if somehow the receiver retains picking up from 119. I know of no way to force one satellite over the other.

Ill try that. another question . could a 211k work directly from dp lab on 77w? my 211 gets signal on check switch , but when I'm done , the acquiring signal screen never goes green.

If i remember correctly, 77 does not carry the dish epg stream (a scan will only generate the Dish Mexico EPG). So you would need another satellite slot included in the setup to make things work (the 77 epg is included in the other slots epg streams).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)