Prepaid dish

So... if you see a 301d for sale on ebay for example, can it only be used with the prepaid cards, no activation on existing accounts?

Pepper said:
Is the "prepaid card" a smartcard that is inserted in the receiver and expires after a month, or is it like one of those gift card things where you call somewhere and place an order for service to be turned on?
It is a gift card type. Not a replaceable smartcard.

If the card isn't an insertable smartcard, then why can't the giftcard be used to activate any basic one room reciever like the 311,111,etc? Or can it? Dish's website doesn't even have info on this.

I am sure that you will never receive LOCALS on a program structured like this. If there is no way to tie the receiver to a place or person there is no way to know what locals you should "legally" get. As long as you were in the footprint you could, in theroy get what ever you want by "claming" a location. This will never fly unless the locals are opened up in the future. I am sure that is why locals are not included in this type of offering.

The AT60 is all on one bird, correct?? I bet the limitation is to make the self install as simple as possible. No mult Sat. setup's needed.

You get top 60 no locals Dish500 setup with a 301 receiver (if I remember correctly). The receiver is specifically set up for this so that you can't take it and use it for a "regular" set-up or use a 322 or other receiver. You would get a card that has a activation number on it. You call the 800 number and activate the card and it is good for 30 days. At the end of 30 days you either use a new card or your system goes dark.
It is set up a lot like a pre-paid phone service. I think it will catch on in some areas of the country once word gets around about it. It won't make a retailer rich per say, but the way the economics are set up, it would be a nice addition

I do already own a receiver.

Seems odd to me that Dish wouldn't let existing equipment be used.

I mean, heck, why not even let people buy a prepaid card at retail, then go online, type in the card number to add it to their Dish account, and let them buy any services offered by Dish, with the provision it gets automatically turned off unless another card(s) is added within a month?

good idea

I think with any new marketing plan, keeping it simple is the key.
And of course, the no-locals means they don't have to deal with where you are, or if you are out of the required spotbeams.

I haven't seen the kit, but I'd think a single LNB would get enough channels to make a prepaid package.
End user set up is a lot easier than dealing with skew on a twin LNB.
With Dish-1000's the norm, maybe they're using this promo to flush out the stock of old 500's! ;)

Anole said:
I think with any new marketing plan, keeping it simple is the key.
And of course, the no-locals means they don't have to deal with where you are, or if you are out of the required spotbeams.

I haven't seen the kit, but I'd think a single LNB would get enough channels to make a prepaid package.
End user set up is a lot easier than dealing with skew on a twin LNB.
With Dish-1000's the norm, maybe they're using this promo to flush out the stock of old 500's! ;)

For awhile I used a Dish 300 (single LNB) pointed at 119. It was more than enough for AT120 with locals here in the LA area.

That would be pretty simple, to just purchase the programming for a month from a retailer and the retailer punches in those numbers into the system and it gets activated. It saves Dish Network money and allows any receiver to be used and can have any channels ordered (maybe with the exception of locals).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts