Preparation for Hopper Upgrade

smdellin

Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
Leo, IN
I was just days away from switching to Direct TV to get the Whole Home DVR, when Dish announced the Hopper. I now plan to upgrade to the Hopper.

Need some help so that I am prepared and can make the installer's job as easy as possible.

I currectly have the DuoDVR 625 connected to 2 TV, and 1 standard box to 1 TV. I haven't upgraded to HD yet but will do that also with the Hopper.

Questions:

1. I have an ancient dish, should I ask that it gets upgraded also? I see homes with a different shaped and larger dish than mine.

2. I have two HD TV, one has DVI-D connection the other the newer HDMI. Will the DVI-D work with the Hopper?

3. The current 625 has the dish feed comming to the 625 and tuner 2 goes from 625 to SD TV in basement. Do I need to run a new cable to the basement SD TV or can the signal be split somehow so that the feed supplies both Hopper and Joey without running new cable? It will be a challenge to get to the basement with new able as I have a two story house and the Dish feed comes in at the attic.

4. I have ethernet access where the Hopper with be located. Will this allow internet access to all TVs through the Hopper?

smdellin said:
I was just days away from switching to Direct TV to get the Whole Home DVR, when Dish announced the Hopper. I now plan to upgrade to the Hopper.

Need some help so that I am prepared and can make the installer's job as easy as possible.

I currectly have the DuoDVR 625 connected to 2 TV, and 1 standard box to 1 TV. I haven't upgraded to HD yet but will do that also with the Hopper.

Questions:

1. I have an ancient dish, should I ask that it gets upgraded also? I see homes with a different shaped and larger dish than mine.

2. I have two HD TV, one has DVI-D connection the other the newer HDMI. Will the DVI-D work with the Hopper?

3. The current 625 has the dish feed comming to the 625 and tuner 2 goes from 625 to SD TV in basement. Do I need to run a new cable to the basement SD TV or can the signal be split somehow so that the feed supplies both Hopper and Joey without running new cable? It will be a challenge to get to the basement with new able as I have a two story house and the Dish feed comes in at the attic.

4. I have ethernet access where the Hopper with be located. Will this allow internet access to all TVs through the Hopper?

1. When the Hopper is installed, the Dish will be upgraded also.
2. Should work with something like this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TH7T2U...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001TH7T2U
3. The signal will be split.
4. Yes, if you have ethernet connected to the Hopper it will provide internet access to all TVs.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

1. Upgrading to HD receiver includes upgrade to the HD dish.
2. Both Hopper and Joey have HDMI, you would need a HDMI to DVI-D for that tv and remember to run audio cables as DVI does not carry sound.
3. If you are running to those two tv's, shouldn't need rewiring. Joey would be in basement and connected by current cable unless it is a very long run of RG-59 and not RG-6.
4. Not sure about whether Joey would need eithernet (it does have connection for it) or if the connection to Hopper is ok. You may be able to make use of wireless connection to Joey if it is needed. Dish does sell them.

I have a question. I have 1 HD television in our liviing room, 1 television in the kitchen, both downstairs; and I have a TV in the bedroom, and a TV in the computer room. My router is in the upstairs computer room. How would the wiring need run for that setup for the Hopper/Joeys?

wlwgampa said:
I have a question. I have 1 HD television in our liviing room, 1 television in the kitchen, both downstairs; and I have a TV in the bedroom, and a TV in the computer room. My router is in the upstairs computer room. How would the wiring need run for that setup for the Hopper/Joeys?

You would need a Hopper Internet Connector in the computer room. It connects to your router to provide internet to the whole system, and it also has a pass-thru port so you can connect a Joey to it.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

KAB said:
Why...so it can get lost in all the arguing and posturing going on there? It's a technical question...and this is the Technical Discussion forum.

Yep. That forum has just about been killed off as far as usefulness goes. Many of those posts should be thrown into a war zone pit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)