Preparing for the Feb 1st Change

ac3750

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
It looks like I will be doing at least 1 receiver upgrade on or after Feb 1 to the hd dvr 622. I currently have a dish 500 for the 110 and 119 to pick up all my locals and at120 package. In order to take advantage of the additional hd channels, I understand that I will need to pick up 129 in addition.

So here's my question, should I upgrade to the dish 1000 or just have them add a second dish to my setup. I do not have a preference with having 1 or 2 dish's installed. I do, however, want to make sure that I get full signal strength that I have had since my original install. To ask a differerent way, if I had the dish 1000 replace my dish 500, would I be giving up signal strength on 110 and 119 from the levels I currently have that I may lose signal more often during a weather event?

questions on the next big thing

I live in SE Michigan (zip 48187), and currently have a Dish 6000 (purchased, w/8VSB/8PSK) and Dish 300 (? - the skinny little SD receiver), and have 2 dishes on the roof - one for 61.5 and the other for 110/119. They are currently hooked up through 2 SW-21 switches (and for some reason the bedroom receiver keeps losing the 119 sat all the time...). I'm a long-term Dish customer (4+ yrs).

I have HD set up in my LR, and simple SD feed in the BR.

What will be my choices/required changes in the next few weeks to get HD with a PVR, MPEG-4, and still just normal SD feed to the BR (I have a ReplayTV there). Since I own both receivers, am I stuck having to purchase everything again, or is a lease the best way to go?

Regards, Al

Last edited:
ac:
The choice may not be yours to make. But if both options are available to you (LOS issues) your installer may listen to your preference. The DISH1000 lets you have just one dish, but that does not seem important to you. Adding a second dish for 61.5 will likely yield the strongest signal combination. However, it may add to switch costs, and the installer will not be in love with that. I guess that part may be driven by how many STBs you feed. A little coin of the realm may get things just the way you like.