Preparing FTA order - do I have everything?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
OK, thanks to everyones help here, I am putting together an order from Sadoun. Here is what i am going to order:

S-1 FTA Classic Choice Set (Fortec Lifetime Classic NA, .4lnb and the upgrade 90 dish) I will also order some coax and connectors, and this does come with a free sat meter kit.

I have some grounding blocks and mounting supplies all ready. Is there anything else I need? I am going to set it up for Galaxy 10R.

Now when it comes to a motorized system, what is good to watch other than Galaxy 10R? Am I missing alot? Some of the listings I see are rather vague, so if anyone can tell me if I am missing anything, that would be great! I have a $300 budget for my "project" of liberating my household from DISH! We do not watch anything but locals and super station type shows, so the FTA looks like what I am looking for :) Thanks for any advice!

Larry :)

iafirebuff said:
OK, thanks to everyones help here, I am putting together an order from Sadoun. Here is what i am going to order:

S-1 FTA Classic Choice Set (Fortec Lifetime Classic NA, .4lnb and the upgrade 90 dish) I will also order some coax and connectors, and this does come with a free sat meter kit.

I have some grounding blocks and mounting supplies all ready. Is there anything else I need? I am going to set it up for Galaxy 10R.

I would order some terminations in case you want to add a DiSEqC switch and other LNBs later. You'll want to terminate any unused ports on the switch when/if you add one and they are cheap.

Item #4 -> http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Switches/DiSEqC-Switches.htm

THANKS! I do have some in my goody bag :) I LOVE you call! Mine is KC0HBB, but I have not been active for several years.

If you can get a deal on the motor at the same time I would. Once you get the stationary setup you'll be chomping at the bit to move the dish to catch some other feeds.

iafirebuff said:
THANKS! I do have some in my goody bag :) I LOVE you call! Mine is KC0HBB, but I have not been active for several years.

Good man, there's no such thing as too many extra parts!

I am active mostly on 220MHz and in the winter on 160 meters. Once in a while, I listen in on 3955kHz after midnight.

Phil

I would order some terminations in case you want to add a DiSEqC switch and other LNBs later. You'll want to terminate any unused ports on the switch when/if you add one and they are cheap.

Item #4 -> http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Switches/DiSEqC-Switches.htm

Just sarching old posts for whether or not I should terminate unused DiSEqC switch ports. A couple of them said I shouldn't because voltage is passed passed through the switch, which makes sense to me. This one says I should. So... is it plastic caps? Or terminations? -thanks a bunch.

couple ways to do it

-use a terminator (heard both good and bad of these)
-use caps

I use old twist on ends filled with silicone filled on the end. Havent had any issues with it. If you leave them uncapped and in the elements water can get in

if you use terminating resistors, you could just break the pin of the middle, then you have screw on caps .

I had always wondered why some people used terminators on unused DiSEqC ports, as they are input and not output ports. Weatherproofing is necessary, and another good way to do this would be to ask a local cable installer for some F weather boots. These should work very well for that purpose.

couple ways to do it

-use a terminator (heard both good and bad of these)
-use caps

I use old twist on ends filled with silicone filled on the end. Havent had any issues with it. If you leave them uncapped and in the elements water can get in

Zactly ! These terminations aren't for electrical imedance matching, just keep out STUFF !
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)