Preparing to relocate dish / where to align

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hawks67

Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
Rockford IL
Hi, folks,

I've looked all over for this info, and it just doesn't seem to exist anywhere.

I have a DirecTV Slimline 3 dish. We're moving in a couple weeks. I want to have everything confirmed and triple-checked regarding how to align it at the new location before I disconnect and move it.

I have done my homework and I know the settings need to be as follows when we get to the new place:
ELEVATION 44.4 - AZIMUTH 199.1 - SKEW 75.0

Now, in order to understand those, I went and checked what the settings should be here where we currently are, and compared them to what I saw on the actual dish:
ELEVATION 39.5 - AZIMUTH 197.6 - SKEW 77.2

Now here's where I need some help.
The elevation is self-explanatory and matches up with the markings on the dish just fine.
The skew is self-explanatory (it says TILT on the actual dish), and matches up just fine.
But the azimuth - is that something I set by rotating the dish side-to-side on the mast or is it something I set using the two small black-with-white-numbering dials behind and below everything? (I tried to include a photo, and then a link to a photo, but it wouldn't allow either one.)

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys hawks67!

Azimuth is the directional reading on the compass, magnetic BTW. The black dials are for dithering, which are the fine adjustments.

Chip, thanks. :biggrin But do those black dials dither the azimuth or the elevation? Looks like elevation, but I can't afford to guess and be wrong...

TS azimuth is the left and right movement of the dish. the azimuth readings you have is a starting point. You must sweep the sky until you get a lock on the sats.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

I just ran CLEARMYBOX there's no signal coming through

B-Band Converters again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)