prepayment for equipment through directv?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Has anyone else encountered this. Directv called me and offered me the hd dvr. The guy told me he needed a prepayment from my credit or debit card. Why do they need a prepayment when i'm having it billed to my account? Is there a number i can call to try to get around the prepayment?

it was boise,id number. I had contacted them about doing the hd dvr upgrade via email and they called me back. But after trying to place the order he told me he needed a prepayment. Why would he need a prepayment if it was being billed to my account? Is there a way to get around this?

Email sounds fishy, like a scammer posing as DirecTV or an agent of theirs. Call or visit Robert @ valueelectronics.com (their link is also at the top of every page here) Mention you are a member of the board.

The ONLY time I have ever heard of a DBS company wanting a deposit is if you have had a terrible payment history with them or your own personal credit is currently horrible. So I would just avoid that emailer and deal directly with someone any of us would know and trust as legit.

The only thing I can think of is that D* doesn't allow something that expensive to go on your bill. Granted, there have been exceptions, but generally, when I've taken orders for the HD-DVR that have been initialized by the customer, a credit card number is required. It's not a prepayment per se, it just is billed directly to your card and not placed on your monthly bill.

other people have had it placed on their account though. Why can't I have it placed on my account? I don't have a credit or debit card with $750 on it to bill it to right now. I probably will in a month If I get paid what I'm supposed to get paid at my new job.

oh and i emailed robert and he told me he can't bill to accounts he only accepts paypal, and credit/debit cards.

Then I would call directly to retention and ask what they can do and also ask what the prepayment does and how it can be billed; so at least you are not in the dark about it.

Also, ask the CSR who you speak with to see if there are any comments to your account regarding that call, that should tell you if it's legit.

that looks like the number they give you to call on their website.

When I signed up they required a pre-payment of 150 bucks (I was just getting standard def receivers), I beleive it was due to my credit (don't ask). NOTE: I am getting the 150 back from them by them giving me a 10 dollar credit for 15 months.

Of course I (and the above posters) would not recommend you giving him your credit information when _they_ call _you_, instead, I would call them directly and make sure this is indeed a request from them.

Jimbos said:
mikedz4,

Here ya go
1-800-531-5000

Jimbo

mikedz4,

Did you try calling the # ???
That is the number that was listed on this site a while back as the NEW Customer Retention #, when the other one was shut off, a month or so ago.

Jimbo

I'm guessing 24/7, but I don't know for sure, if they aren't 24/7, I'm fairly certain a voicemail would answer and state their operating hours.

790? Is that on all 3 agencies? Either way, that's impressive!

IMO, they should have let you bill it based on your score alone, I would have, but from what I gather, it isn't just the credit rating they look at alone, they also look for a long history paying long-term substantial bills with the same company (although I am sure with your score you qualify in that area too, unless you change providers of those billable services alot).

I read that D* lost alot of revenue due to people not paying on time or at all, this may be a defense mechanism put in place (i.e. they don't trust us, keeping in mind that it is well known that some of the richest people are the worst at paying back loans, doctors and lawyers have the most deliquent student loans out of all other student types and financial classes).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)