President Of Dish Spoke The Truth

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spindoctor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
By offering many news services and programs, “we want to make it exciting for consumers so they'll want to migrate to the VIP series,” Neuman said. He felt the changeover was a “consumer non-event. There's no reason for them to care about MPEG-2 or MPEG-4. The reasons for them to care are the services.

WHAT A JOKE

next thing he is going to pass vaseline so it doesn't hurt much.

Vaseline In Procto(gentle effective pain relief for HDTV users)

spindoctor said:
By offering many news services and programs, “we want to make it exciting for consumers so they'll want to migrate to the VIP series,” Neuman said. He felt the changeover was a “consumer non-event. There's no reason for them to care about MPEG-2 or MPEG-4. The reasons for them to care are the services.

WHAT A JOKE

Well said.:up :up

spindoctor said:

WHAT A JOKE

At least Charlie could give us a courtesy reach around while he's bending us over. :eek:

You guys do realise that not everyone out there is a technophile when it comes to these things, %99.7 of all the people I put hd receivers in for have very little understanding of what hd is other than its a pretty picture on theyr tv set. I've mentioned some of the new compression thats supposed to come around and the equipment and what it will do and they get the 5 year trying to understand chinese look on theyr faces. Who this statement effects in a negative context who will actually see a diference however slight are all of you guys here who would notice if your kid adjusted the hue level by one bar.

Neuman is 100% correct, for 95% of Dish Networks customers they dont care about the equipment they just want their channel x and will do whatever to get that channel.

While us techno geeks talk MPEG4 the adverage consumer does not care as long as they are getting the programming they want.

As much as I wish more customers where tech savy.... Scott is right. They don't care about the how only the how much.

same reason why HD Lite is so dangerous to keep quiet about it. Unless the savvy tech consumer do not speak out against it, nobody will and it will be a normal thing.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Neuman is 100% correct, for 95% of Dish Networks customers they dont care about the equipment they just want their channel x and will do whatever to get that channel.

While us techno geeks talk MPEG4 the adverage consumer does not care as long as they are getting the programming they want.

so what you are saying E* on 12 million subs has only 600.000 subs that they

care about their equipment (HD and nonHD users) so in reality we are looking at

up to 600.000 HD receivers .

I thought there are over 2 million HD receivers, so would that mean 1.4 million HD users don't care , well i find that hard to swallow.

while i agree about not many people knowing MPEG4 and are not techno geeks

but lets look around how many have HDTV , many don't visit forums but they have friends or neighbors who know things or have lots of money and they get the help they want .
Of those people i can tell you most everyone wants the best picture possible

and they too want to show other friends their HDTV.

So if most people dont care why would they buy new MPEG4 eqipment that they

dont know about

about the programming ,so why hold a news conference about VOOM channels

and MPEG4 equipment that non techno people would not understand and the majority of the subs dont care.

maybe they want us to be the guinea pigs,the testers, the troubleshooters, and to report problems as if we are their employees not on payroll and for us to spread the word.

YOU KNOW WHAT ? YOU CAN COUNT ME OUT

and THE HOW MUCH, i find it very hypocritical for them to complain about lifetime

wanting more money and in return they announce THE RAISING OF PRICES

do they expect people to do the same

MAYBE THATS WHAT WE SHOULD SPREAD OUT.

Can i justify getting a 6-700 receiver just to get extra 5 channels of HD when the old ones will still be broadcast in MPEG2 for at least one more year?

No, no, and no again. Vaseline or KY Gel, my rectum stays a one way avenue no matter how much external pressure:)

My guess is that those who actually _watch_ HD programming are more tech-savvy than those who don't. We bought a new HDTV early last year and the first thing I had to do was get an 811 for the HD programming. I hooked it all up and my wife said "I don't see the difference". I can see the difference, but to my wife it's just TV.

dlsnyder,

I don't mean to be insulting or anything, but either your HDTV is not very good or your wife needs to get her eyes checked. On my tv, the difference between HD and non-HD is enormous. SD is so bad it's on the border of being unwatchable.

actually I would tend to believe that some people dont care, my wife will watch stuff through the 625, instead of the 811 on our tv, she just dosent care, she sees the difference.

i think its bs what they are doing to the installed hd base. when i got my hdtv i didnt know that much about it but i definetly saw the difference between SD and HD after that it was like crack for my eyes and i just wanted more and more content so i got the extra dish so i could get the VOOM channels. After they downrezzed them i got pissed and got online and found this site. I noticed that the "techno geeks" where talking about sh*t i didnt understand, so I did some research to find out what the hell you guys were talking about. For that, this site kicks serious ass. You guys helped with my HD education. Thanks. I once was one of the ignorant ones.

Last edited:
Sean Mota said:
same reason why HD Lite is so dangerous to keep quiet about it. Unless the savvy tech consumer do not speak out against it, nobody will and it will be a normal thing.

Absolutely, that is my big fear. Most folks have never really seen true 1920x1080 HD, If they had SD and then upgraded to HD Lite, they'd think it was the greatest thing since canned beer. They wouldn't know what they were missing.

I visited my brother in Utah over the holidays and he had recently gotten a new sony HDTV. We sat down with family and friends to watch a bowl game broadcast in HD and immediately I realized it wasn't HD. When I mentioned that it wasn't HD, he said well it is a HDTV and he had the cable company installed a HD cable box. No one in the room had really watched HD before except me and they thought it looked fine. I took a look at his setup and he certainly did have an HD cable box, but he had it connected with an S-video cable, so he was watching a SD picture stretched to fill his 16:9 screen and thought he was watching HD.

So I asked him if he had any other cables around, specifically one with a red, blue, and green RCA connectors. He said that he thought he had a cable like that. Sure enough he returned with a component cable, which I promptly installed and switched inputs on his TV. A commercial was on at the time and everyone in the room was saying it doesn't look any different. I said that commercials aren't HD, just wait until the game comes back on. When the game came on, the jaws hit the floor and the eyes got real big and almost in unison everyone said WOW!
They couldn't believe the difference.

I think there are a a lot of people with HDTV's who think they are watching HD, but aren't and they don't even know it.

I'll just tell you from the production side, there are a lot of producers/production companies who think if it's a 16:9 program, it's HD. Of course, some of the most non-techincally savy people I know are in video production:D

The difference between watching SD and HD is closely akin to watching a DVD via composite video and then switching it component or DVI. The difference is striking and even after watching HD-Lite on my 50" screen, it's tough to go back to watching something in SD.

This isn't an endorsement for HD-Lite (far from it). Just saying that even between HD-Lite and SD, there's a big difference and most people who take their TV viewing even somewhat seriously can plainly see the difference.

Someone that doesn't care about video quality (or audio quality for that matter) may as well be watching TV on a 13" B/W unit.

I'm beginning to think that only the male species is capable of recognizing HD when they see it. Probably 20 female relatives and friends have seen my HD programming. Exactly two have had the "Wow" reaction.

But every male has.

tim552 said:
I'm beginning to think that only the male species is capable of recognizing HD when they see it. Probably 20 female relatives and friends have seen my HD programming. Exactly two have had the "Wow" reaction.
But every male has.

Very true. Females seem to relate more to the picture subject matter content than to the picture presentations. Guys are just more visual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts