DiscoLoveGrapes

Zero Transponder Founded
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 14, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Press TV to start July 2nd

Fars News Agency :: Iran Launches its Answer to CNN, BBC World

"Iran's state broadcaster is to launch "Press TV" on July 2 at a time of mounting international tension over its nuclear program, complete with international journalists brought in from foreign countries including Britain."

I'll be on G25 (Ia5), and is now testing there.

I'm not expected a whole lot from this in terms of reporting, but it should be interesting at the very least.

On the other hand, English FTA is English FTA -- which is always a good thing. With the trend of English channels from Asia (specifically the Middle East) popping up, hopefully we'll see more.

This will be interesting to watch once I get my dish setup. It's exactly why I want one. To see this kind of stuff. You just can't get this with cable or DBS, or if you can it's at outrageous prices for something that you could receive free anyway.

I looked at this channel the last week and nothing was ever on except images and music. I guess this is because it has not "launched" yet?

Anyway I always like to hear both "sides". This should be interesting to watch whenever it does launch. Date?

Note it is also interesting to watch BBC and other foreign news sources (or read things on the internet), then watch U.S. news. They say quite different things about the same story! Or sometimes in the U.S., they tend to leave "certain things" out of the story. Sometimes say the exact opposite! Hummmm....

Even within the U.S., there will be a newswire story. Some newspapers will include the entire story, others will edit out certain portions.

I always thought news was about the facts, I'm learning it is more about their political point of view and agenda. (Twist, spin, censor, delete, etc.)

I glanced at it this morning and it was just running commercial type things, sort of like the English version of AlJazara was doing before it really launched...

Their test loop is also available as a Windows Media live stream:
mms://217.218.67.244/presslive

Their website at launch should be PRESS TV - but that only shows a mobile web page for me at this time. Instead, go to the "News" link, PRESS TV - then you can see the real website layout. Seems like they're trying to mimic the BBC World News type of website (or at least the navigation bar at left).

As I post, there is some live newspaper headlines / news in review discussion program hosted by a bunch of men in suits with British accents. Seems relatively open, although perhaps there is a bit of a noticeable slant toward an anti-US/UK involvement in Middle Eastern affairs. Nothing I wouldn't expect, knowing it's an Iranian network.

Since Windows Media, even with Flip4Mac, is not that great on Mac OS X, I am using the freeware VLC player from VLC media player - Overview - plays this stream great. A bit of buffering, but my guess is that's because I've got some other programs consuming large amounts of bandwidth in the background.

Yeah, it's really weird. I was getting sound on PressTV a few days ago and now I get nada.

BTW - audio on all of the other channels on G25 come in just fine.

Excuse me! Let me look at IA5, I'm on Hispasat. Sorry? But there is sound on Hispasat.

Al

Edit: OK, I'm on IA5 now, and I have sound on Press TV here also.

Last edited:
Glad you got your sound back, silence can be an awful quite. I can't sleep in total silence. If the power goes off in the middle of the night, leaving no refrigerator hum, or freezer hum, or A/C hum, or anything that should be making noise, I'll wake up. And can't get back to sleep unless I can find some noise.

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)