Pretty much had it with the 811

Harry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
After a lengthy conversation with E* yesterday, I really see no hope for the 811. The next software upgrade is due out in mid Oct. But, You wonder what will be fixed and what new bugs will surface.

So..... I have a couple months left on my contract after which I'm going to drop it. Don't watch that much from E* anyway and the locals are doing pretty well. I am now considering selling my 811 and going to an OTA STB. Have been looking around and there some nice options out there.

If qnyone is interested, here is a link to a page on LG receivers. They have HD OTA, HD OTA w/ HD DVD and HD OTA DVR receivers. They range from $299 to $799. It will pay for itself by dropping the $10/month Dish HD Package fee.

LG OTA Receivers

lst3510a.jpg

LST-3410A_lge.jpg

Yes, only problem is, OTA is pretty much -- network tv. Commercials. Moronic reality shows. Yippee.

Only network that offers consistently interesting programming is PBS.

The $10 at least brings some quality material to the home.

It also brings NFL games in HD, which is what I watch. The HD Package programming tends to be repititious and we don't watch it much anymore. Paying $10 a month to reboot your 811 frequently and cringing when new upgrades are loaded to wait and see what new bugs happen, it doesn't makes sense.

IMHO, the networks give you more programming.

If you want the NFL game then you'll be missing out on the Sunday night game on ESPN-HD without the HD package.

rad said:
If you want the NFL game then you'll be missing out on the Sunday night game on ESPN-HD without the HD package.

:haha Yeah, that's true. Me and about 30 million other people! Actually, I don't think I've watched a Sunday night game on ESPN-HD. About 1 in 5 games is actually HD on ESPN and you never know which ones in advance. That is one pitfall though.

But I was just throwing another option out there in case someone else out there is getting fed up with the 811. :wave

Harry said:
It also brings NFL games in HD, which is what I watch. The HD Package programming tends to be repititious and we don't watch it much anymore. Paying $10 a month to reboot your 811 frequently and cringing when new upgrades are loaded to wait and see what new bugs happen, it doesn't makes sense.

IMHO, the networks give you more programming.

Whatever makes you happy Harry. NFL is, what, about 5 months of the year .... You are correct, though, the premium HD is a bit repetitive. I like having both options, Dish HD and OTA.

I guess I have been lucky, since the last SW update I don't think I have had to reboot. It was never that frequent for me anyway.

Harry said:
:haha Yeah, that's true. Me and about 30 million other people! Actually, I don't think I've watched a Sunday night game on ESPN-HD. About 1 in 5 games is actually HD on ESPN and you never know which ones in advance. That is one pitfall though.

But I was just throwing another option out there in case someone else out there is getting fed up with the 811. :wave

Harry, ALL the NFL Sunday night games on ESPN-HD are in HD.

I must have one of the few decent 811 units then. I've only had to reboot it maybe 3 times in the last 8 months.

You are lucky. I've had to reboot mine about three times in the last three days. Why is it so hard for Dish to make this thing work?

I must have a magical 811 as well, so hats off to those damn elves, and I watch OTA on it most of the time. In fact, watched Lost last night and it was fantastic. It has been a while since I have had to reboot it and I do occasionally leave it on OTA when I turn it off. I haven't seen the program guide downloading issue since release 268 (I think?), but I do turn it off every night.

Harry said:
They range from $299 to $799. It will pay for itself by dropping the $10/month Dish HD Package fee.

Great! So it will pay for itself in 2.5 to 5+ years. Good deal! You'll need to replace it way before then.

mdonnelly said:
Great! So it will pay for itself in 2.5 to 5+ years. Good deal! You'll need to replace it way before then.

Not neccessarily since the standard will not be changing. At least I won't be paying $10/month for the priviledge of seeing black screens, sound dropouts, HD picture freeze and pressing the 811 power button for 15 seconds, three times a week. Oh yeah, almost forgot the 49% digital signal non-lock.

E* said they will not replace the unit so apparently, that is the norm for the 811?

Harry said:
Not neccessarily since the standard will not be changing. At least I won't be paying $10/month for the priviledge of seeing black screens, sound dropouts, HD picture freeze and pressing the 811 power button for 15 seconds, three times a week. Oh yeah, almost forgot the 49% digital signal non-lock.

E* said they will not replace the unit so apparently, that is the norm for the 811?

Well, I guess I have one of those magic 811's that never needs resetting for anything. As long as I don't call up the guide from an OTA channel, it runs like clockwork. Considering it was free with a 1 year committment, I can live with it.
Also, I LIKE the HD Package channels.

I agree with you. I will be dropping E completly the minute my 1 year is up. I use the 811 for OTA and have nothing but problems. The latest is when I what OTA for more than an hour, if I go back to dish the screen is black and I have to reboot. This sucks.here is what happened the other night. My hobby is high power rockets and a friend called and caught it in Discovery. There was only 15 minutes to go on the show but I tried to catch the tail end anyway. By the time I whet through the reboot, then acquiring sat then the guide download I missed the rest of the show. I have to do this everytime I watch with the 811.

Guys, I'm not an apologist for Dish. The 811 OTA issue needs fixing. But for me, the workaround is easy. Use the channel select on the remote to walk off the OTA channels, then when you're on the satellite stations again, hit the guide button. In 9 months, I've never had to reacquire using this procedure.

Harry said:

Well, I'm getting rid of E* completly, 811 and all. The 811 was ok. I loved the 522, but because of financial reaasons, I can't justify spending so much on tv. I'm going to get a good OTA reciever. Probably the LG 4200A. I get standard cable with my cable modem, so there's really no point to me payingtwice for the same stuff. This way I'm going to save about $70 a month. Not as many channels, but most of the ones I watch regularly. The only thing I'll really miss is the DVR, but I'll have to make do with my VCRs and probably try to get a cheap tuner card for my computer and use it as a dvr.

Tyralak said:
The only thing I'll really miss is the DVR, but I'll have to make do with my VCRs and probably try to get a cheap tuner card for my computer and use it as a dvr.

The LG-3410A is a HD- OTA, DVR receiver. A little pricey but in line with others and you pay no DVR Fees. This is the one I am considering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts