Pretty much had it with the 811

Guys, I'm not an apologist for Dish. The 811 OTA issue needs fixing. But for me, the workaround is easy. Use the channel select on the remote to walk off the OTA channels, then when you're on the satellite stations again, hit the guide button. In 9 months, I've never had to reacquire using this procedure.

I have!

Harry said:
The LG-3410A is a HD- OTA, DVR receiver. A little pricey but in line with others and you pay no DVR Fees. This is the one I am considering.

That one's pretty good. The DVR has a few minor issues, but it may be worth it for no fee. I went out yesterday to a local retailer and bought an LG LST-4200A which is an OTA reciever with NTSC and QAM tuning capabilities. I'm quite impresed with it so far. It has a fantastic tuner that's excellent at filtering out multipath signals, and it's very sensitive. The guide is very friendly, and looks nice. I managed to get it for $259 because it was the one on display. It was on sale for $279 and the normal price is apparently $299, so I figure I got a good deal. I tried it out with my cable to see if I'd get any freebie channels. No dice. When Charter brings HD out here, I'll be able to tune those in, but for now all the cable digital stuff it will pull in is the music choice DMX channels. Hardly worth worrying about. All in all, a great tuner, and I'd reccomend it to anyone. The only issue I can see with it is that it only has one RF input. Which means you can have an antenna or cable hooked up, but not both. You could put a switch in if you wanted, but you'd have to switch back and forth. That's the only issue I can see with it.

Tyralak said:
I went out yesterday to a local retailer and bought an LG LST-4200A which is an OTA reciever with NTSC and QAM tuning capabilities. I'm quite impresed with it so far.

Let me know what you think of it after you've had it a few days. I am looking at this receiver also. They are running $279-$299 right now. A refurbed 3510 is going for $259 but not sure I want a DVD player!

LG seems to be the best out there.

My 811

Mine 811 works fine. I do watch a mix of OTA and DISH and haven't had to reboot since I got it 3 weeks ago??

just to vouch for some people

I just wanted everyone to know that I have had black screens about 4 times this week. This happens regardless of me channeling up or down off of OTA stations or just pressing guide.

Direct Tv is better anyways. Free Sunday Ticket and free 4 months of HBO, showtime, ect....Dish can't even compete. I'm switching next week, before i miss any more football.

I use to have problems with the acquiring sat problem. Now it is the black screen. It is only a matter of time before I switch to Direct. I really don't want to but the issues seem never ending.

Yeah I dont even use the OTA so not that big of a deal for me! I due hope Dish gets it fixed for those who do use it!Acquiring sat problem seems like that could be something else besides the 811. Maybe something with the Dish or something outside interfering with the singal in that area! :)

My CBS (WFSB) OTA reception went from 60% to 86% overnight, about one week ago. Presumably the station upped their power. My weakest signal that I care about is now at 68% (ABC) and NBC is at 78%. Fox is at 73%. Get a few more locals digitals, above 70%.

I found that 60% is the bare minimum. Less than that, probably won't lock reliably. At that, will lock with the occasional dropouts and blocking artifacts. 65% and above looks to be pretty solid, and now I have everything over 70% except ABC at 68%. CBS is incredible now, shame they have Dan "Memogate" Rather and I won't be watching their so called "news" shows :mad:

Poke said:
Yeah I dont even use the OTA so not that big of a deal for me! I due hope Dish gets it fixed for those who do use it!Acquiring sat problem seems like that could be something else besides the 811. Maybe something with the Dish or something outside interfering with the singal in that area! :)
Nope. It's the 811.

Well it went in painlessly enough. Updated to version 2.80. Installer left it in 480 mode. Switched it to 1080 for component, and Svid to a separate input for standard broadcast stuff. Seems to work great so far. The wife is very happy with the instant guide features, caller ID was gravy. I don't have any OTA issues, it's not hooked up yet. The hunt for a UHF ant. starts next. I'm thinking a 4bay double bow-tie (DB-4) in the garage rafters. If that runs poor, I'll strap it onto the chimney.

Anything else I should be looking for?

First bug I've noticed. Twice now I've seen HDnet go slow-mo, 60 frames per min. Move up one channel and back clears it up. So I guess I've popped my cherry. :)

OTA Probs?

I see a lot on OTA problems. I wonder how much of this is simply low power by the broadcaster? In most markets, until July of next year, only a few, if any broadcasters, are at low power. This can cause all sorts of trouble with OTA pickup depending on the antenna and location.
In the market I work in, ABC and PBS are full power, CBS & NBC, though on the same tower, are aimed differently and both at low power. Fox is super low power and WB, Pax and others are not on as yet.
Where I live, ABC, PBS and NBC are fine. CBS is usually fine and Fox has not ever been picked up.